Volunteering (is it a good thing or are Companies being Cheap)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate when someone on the phone or at the shopping centre says something like, "Don't you care about kids with cancer?" when you say no to donating. GAGF.
It's pretty off to respond to a refusal in this way. And it would be against their instructions from HO, I'm sure. At least half of all those asked would say no, for a variety of reasons: they don't like being waylaid at shopping centres, they don't donate to charity, they are on a budget, they don't have cash on them.

I once had someone on the phone (I never donate to anything over the phone) say to me they would keep calling back until I donated. They never did, fortunately. I hope some supervisor overheard them threatening me (might not have been the first time) and moved them on.

I hate when someone on the phone or at the shopping centre says something like, "Don't you care about kids with cancer?" when you say no to donating. GAGF.

Some utensil head dick head Pommy backpacker on commission tried that line on me one night after I'd said a polite "No."

I just pulled up my pants leg and said, "See these scars? I know a ******* sight more about cancer than you, and I make sure my donations go where they do the most good. Got it?"

In the education sector, volunteering is expected to help events run outside of school hours. Things like:
  • Art Expos
  • Camps
  • Sport carnival set up.
  • Parent Info nights.

The union is trying to fight these with giving T.I.L or increased pay for the hours outside of the standard 38hr week as teachers work upwards of 40-50hrs but only get paid for 38hrs.

In the education sector, volunteering is expected to help events run outside of school hours. Things like:
  • Art Expos
  • Camps
  • Sport carnival set up.
  • Parent Info nights.

The union is trying to fight these with giving T.I.L or increased pay for the hours outside of the standard 38hr week as teachers work upwards of 40-50hrs but only get paid for 38hrs.
I bet they are. Let’s cut parents out of helping the school and their kids and other kids, what could possibly go wrong? It’s actually a two-way thing, the parents want to be involved and the kids like to see them there, taking an interest. We’re not even talking big numbers; most working parents can’t spare the time.

I’ve been a teacher, and a parent. I couldn’t count the hours I didn’t get paid for but that’s not what the job is about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back