Opinion We have a work rate problem not a talent problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly you must select to win games if possible, you don't play guys on a wish and hope especially kids that aren't performing over a near Brownlow Medalist who's probably our second best possession winner, big body etc, etc.
He may as well leave the club for the biggest offer if they're going to prefer the likes of Lang, Cockatoo, Gregson, Walker, GHS, Murdoch etc. It's a joke.
Yeah - there are a lot of holes in my argument. Not sure I even support it. But is it reasonable to assume that the next premiership will come from a refreshed list - starting from the current under 26s? Perhaps in 3 years time - maybe 5? If so, we will need our 2013, '14 & coming 2015 draftees to accumulate at least 50-70 games at the top level. They won't do that in the Magoos.

Yeah - there are a lot of holes in my argument. Not sure I even support it. But is it reasonable to assume that the next premiership will come from a refreshed list - starting from the current under 26s? Perhaps in 3 years time - maybe 5? If so, we will need our 2013, '14 & coming 2015 draftees to accumulate at least 50-70 games at the top level. They won't do that in the Magoos.

True, but if they're not pulling their weight they shouldn't be auto inclusions, for example Lang. I think he got 6 possessions, that's magoo time!

Um, what??

He's extremely well respected amongst his peers for his judgement and nous......

No doubt. But we do tend to overrate everything at the club, and due to the success from 2007-2011, we've been doing it a while. Probably justified for a while too.

If we are going to criticise the players, or the coach, I'd argue it's only fair to question the recruiting and development as well. I'd be very surprised if it was one specific area that was letting the club down right now. I'd expect much more that it's the cumulative effect of declines across the board.

The bigger problem is the wheels are beginning to fall off, they have been squeaking for some time and have either been ignored or lubricated with the wrong grease.

How do we know that?

I doubt any team has ever done particularly well with the age and experience of the players we've put on the park in recent weeks. We're getting thumped with a team chock full of kids and veterans. Losing doesn't automatically mean we're doing things wrong. It could just mean we're at a point where no matter what we did we wouldn't be able to put out a quality team.

I'm not arguing we're doing things perfectly as there's always things to improve. But assuming the wheels are falling off because we lose a few games is as dumb as assuming everything's perfect when we win a few games. There's always a tendency in the footballing public to overreact. One good win and a team can be flying, one bad loss and a team can be plummeting. Without inner knowledge of the club it's impossible to say what's going right and what's going wrong. Even with inner knowledge of the club, unless there are real personality clashes, it's probably difficult to really know what we're doing well or not. Realistically we've just got to hang tough and do our best to develop our players. It'll probably be a couple of years before we get a really good feel for how the youngsters as a whole are developing.

People are quick to say our form is down to the older brigade, but really, I think we're struggling more because of the fact guys like Guthrie, caddy, GHS, Duncan, Motlop, Smedts, Murdoch etc just aren't going to the next level, if anything they've stalled. Have we overrated them? Or are they all capable of being so much better? These guys have got to start lifting, they're form is not acceptable.

You get them playing like they are and then add the form of our stars who are on the edge of the cliff and you get the results that we are seeing. Plus the fact that we don't have a proper, genuine no.1 ruck, ours is an experiment at the moment, people don't know how big a good ruckman is, vital!!!!

We also don't have a small crumbling forward, it's killing us, and our midfield is very short on depth and ability.

And as a fan watching us every week, it looks as though the team has no direction, the players are picked to play but run out and just try to get the ball, once they have it they don't know what to do. I'd like to see us set up better, have an actual plan when we kick out, get the rebound going, get some god damn structures in place!!!

We have Clark and Hawkins in the forward line, 2 fantastic players, but having the ball bombed on their head won't do anything and we will only be wasting their ability, we've got to fix the way the ball enters the F50, it's atrocious at the moment.

How do we know that?

I doubt any team has ever done particularly well with the age and experience of the players we've put on the park in recent weeks. We're getting thumped with a team chock full of kids and veterans. Losing doesn't automatically mean we're doing things wrong. It could just mean we're at a point where no matter what we did we wouldn't be able to put out a quality team.

I'm not arguing we're doing things perfectly as there's always things to improve. But assuming the wheels are falling off because we lose a few games is as dumb as assuming everything's perfect when we win a few games. There's always a tendency in the footballing public to overreact. One good win and a team can be flying, one bad loss and a team can be plummeting. Without inner knowledge of the club it's impossible to say what's going right and what's going wrong. Even with inner knowledge of the club, unless there are real personality clashes, it's probably difficult to really know what we're doing well or not. Realistically we've just got to hang tough and do our best to develop our players. It'll probably be a couple of years before we get a really good feel for how the youngsters as a whole are developing.
No just based on the last few weeks.
Supporters who analysed our 2014 with an open mind would have seen we were flattered buy our top 4 finish,we got there on the back of so many tight finishes as our % was testament to and not to mention our finals series,no sorry we are in big trouble now and really it should be no surprise to anyone, heaven forbid if Selwood gets injured.

No doubt. But we do tend to overrate everything at the club, and due to the success from 2007-2011, we've been doing it a while. Probably justified for a while too.

If we are going to criticise the players, or the coach, I'd argue it's only fair to question the recruiting and development as well. I'd be very surprised if it was one specific area that was letting the club down right now. I'd expect much more that it's the cumulative effect of declines across the board.

Don't disagree with your premise, but to flatly say that Wells is 'over-rated' when he's long been acknowledged as one of the best is a but unfair.

yeah he went alright 10+ years ago

So......Wells hasn't done any good the last 10 years, Scott isn't up to it, we shouldn't have traded Chapman and Pods, we should've blooded the kids, we've brought the kids in too soon, we've left the kids out too long, and the kids have got no talent anyway, yeah?

Hmm.

No just based on the last few weeks.
Supporters who analysed our 2014 with an open mind would have seen we were flattered buy our top 4 finish,we got there on the back of so many tight finishes as our % was testament to and not to mention our finals series,no sorry we are in big trouble now and really it should be no surprise to anyone, heaven forbid if Selwood gets injured.

There's absolutely no doubt we've gone backwards a long way since 2011. I just don't agree that it's automatically a sign that the club is making massive mistakes or that "the wheels are falling off". I'd venture that even if we'd done things perfectly we'd have seen a significant drop off as our champions aged and retired. How we've gone in the last few years with recruitment and development we just won't know for a good while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So......Wells hasn't done any good the last 10 years, Scott isn't up to it, we shouldn't have traded Chapman and Pods, we should've blooded the kids, we've brought the kids in too soon, we've left the kids out too long, and the kids have got no talent anyway, yeah?

Hmm.

nar your wong, we should have moved on pods

Our problems are that our bottom end is exposed and the older players are in decline.

Which young player that we have is an A grader?
Way too early to say Cocky will be.

Most other teams have players with more upside than ours.
We have to leave it to our internal system to maximise their potential.

Work rate or talent issue - right now both. Not enough young guys coming thru have shown enough yet for any confidence in their talent.

Smedts, Vardy, Cowan, JJ, Kolo, Gore, Cockatoo, Blease, Simpson, Murdoch and GHS have not shown enough to say they are certain AFL standard - good players. They well might in the future but right now I do not think you can say for certain they will make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back