Welcome Matthew Spangher

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko is all about the best 30 - he doesn't have a best 22 any more.
Spangher will get games, just maybe not at the pointy end of the season.
But I still hope he does.

Agreed, although I wouldn't mind Brand and the Amish Kiwi getting some games down back if their form warrants.

1000% correct……Squads win you premierships…..the squad of 30

stratton Brian Gibson

birchall frawley hodge

smith mitchell hill
hale lewis langford

burger gunston breust

puop roughead rioli

Bench sheils mccevoy anderson suckling

the Squad : duryea spangher hartung orourke ceglar simpkin whitecross litherland

and i haven't included woodward shoemakers sicily obrien in the squad of 30 which arguably u can…..all these players should get games allowing us to rotate and keep players fresh esp the veterans

It always used to amaze me watching premier league how teams would rest their best players or play them off the bench in games (often significant games also). Footy as far back as i can remember has always put an emphasis on getting "the absolute best team" out on the park every weekend even if they're half fit. You wonder if Clarkson hasn't realised that this approach is a short sighted. We as supporters see guys like Spangher and Schoenmakers and Simpkin as expendable and surplus to requirements when in fact these guys are integral to structure in this long sighted approach. If they have the ability to come in and get the job done you are not only giving your b'graders valuable experience but you're keeping your a-graders fresh. In a perfect world you would probably only play your a-graders for 75% of the season and have them absolutely primed for finals. Most teams don't have that luxury but increasingly it seems like we do and the benefits are there for the viewing.

It always used to amaze me watching premier league how teams would rest their best players or play them off the bench in games (often significant games also). Footy as far back as i can remember has always put an emphasis on getting "the absolute best team" out on the park every weekend even if they're half fit. You wonder if Clarkson hasn't realised that this approach is a short sighted. We as supporters see guys like Spangher and Schoenmakers and Simpkin as expendable and surplus to requirements when in fact these guys are integral to structure in this long sighted approach. If they have the ability to come in and get the job done you are not only giving your b'graders valuable experience but you're keeping your a-graders fresh. In a perfect world you would probably only play your a-graders for 75% of the season and have them absolutely primed for finals. Most teams don't have that luxury but increasingly it seems like we do and the benefits are there for the viewing.
This is the year we take that approach - not due to injuries, but by deliberate load sharing across the list.

Don't crucify the Great One.

I think the Spang has some improvement in him.

He may be 27 but he's only played 50 games, and he's managed to improve as the season went on.
Who knows what some more games will do for him.

Good call, but 2000 years too late.

I always wondered this with EPL as well. There is no doubt Clarko is onto it. While our season does not have any where near the number of games EPL does, it is a physically demanding game. The English Premier League Season runs from August to May, with teams playing 38 matches each (playing each team in the league twice, home and away)for a total of 380 matches in the season. Most games are played in the afternoons of Saturdays and Sundays.

I suppose factoring in FA Cup, EUFA Champions League as well, player management is a big issue. As Leather Poisoning wrote we may see a similar system with our players this year as injury probably dictated a lot of the changes last year.

I think Richmond and North in particular are trying to build strong depth and are following the Hawthorn model. Other clubs lists are probably not at a point where they can recruit 'depth'. I can see Spang getting games and quite a few others who are playing well enough which is great for supporters as we all have our faves.

Spangher is an overcommitting, try hard, who attempts to do things he isn't able to. When he drops marks he loses his feet, allowing easy possessions to his opponent. Great guy to have in reserve, but hardly an established player. Frawley on the other hand is in fact an established player at afl level.

Wow! Is this a real post. Surely not. Spang the Great One!

I think you have Frawley and Spangher the wrong way around. I mean Chip would be used to doing all of this at Melbourne. That was their whole game plan!

By the way, I am wrapped that we have Chip, but I think he has everything to prove this year and Spang, well, he is a premiership player!!!

Best thing about the Spang so far is that he has been awarded "best clubman" in a premiership year. Not to be sneezed at. Well done spang. Most probably thought you would play 0 - 5 games a year and that would be it. Great achievement.

Though he was strong in spirit. Farewell you cool cat, go forth and multiply. There'll be no second coming for you sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been hard to find another name for the Grand final drinking game that was as goodas SPANGAAAAHHHH!...
Very drunk grand final! Thanks Spang

Thank god that's over. No more emotionally driven "pick him in the team, I love him, he looks like jesus" posts.

Thanks for the contributions Matthew, but by gee, the love your fans had for you had very little to do with your footy ability.

Thank god that's over. No more emotionally driven "pick him in the team, I love him, he looks like jesus" posts.

Thanks for the contributions Matthew, but by gee, the love your fans had for you had very little to do with your footy ability.
Attitude, determination and effort usually wins fans
Don't have to be the best, just give your best, which is what he did, and why he was loved

Not too hard to work out!

Attitude, determination and effort usually wins fans
Don't have to be the best, just give your best, which is what he did, and why he was loved

Not too hard to work out!
And had nothing to do with his look?

Geeze man, go on facebook, all hell is breaking loose over a squad filler.

Did play a great game against Sydney I think in 2013 when Buddy was suspended and some cameos when we had a run with injuries in 2014.

And had nothing to do with his look?

Geeze man, go on facebook, all hell is breaking loose over a squad filler.

Of course it had something to do with his rock-and-roll Jesus style. But it had everything to do with the fact tha t he played every game like it was the last he would ever play. And in the 2014 Grand Final he went against Buddy every time it was his turn. He went with everything he had. And he was great.

So I love him because he was Mr 100%. He's cool because of his flowing locks.

He got a cult following at Box Hill because of the way he looked. He got a cult following at Hawthorn because of the way he played. The honest toilers who give you 100% every time they are on the field are the backbone of any side. He played in 23 wins and I don't think he ever disgraced himself in any of them.

For the derision he was met with when we traded for him - he more than accounted for himself. If he doesn't get picked up elsewhere I hope he can work with the club if he wants to stay in the sport post-playing. He seems like a good clubman and grew up as a Hawks fan as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back