List Mgmt. Welcome new rookies: Sean McLaren, Nic Newman, Lewis Melican, Jordan Foote

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought Newman had the attributes to play the game but what we've seen from this fellow is nothing short of extraordinary. When he gets hold of the ball, it is uncanny how similar to Malceski this guy is. Buddy's eyes must light up when he has the ball. His evasive & tackling skills are wonderful to watch & he is winning over his senior team mates who are more than happy to utilise him at every opportunity.
A big factor as to why we are the best form team of the last 6 weeks.

Will be a long time before this guy plays NEAFL again.

Watching the game for the second time I was impressed with his accuracy of kicking. He looks sold down there and adds some pressure

I always thought Newman had the attributes to play the game but what we've seen from this fellow is nothing short of extraordinary. When he gets hold of the ball, it is uncanny how similar to Malceski this guy is. Buddy's eyes must light up when he has the ball. His evasive & tackling skills are wonderful to watch & he is winning over his senior team mates who are more than happy to utilise him at every opportunity.
A big factor as to why we are the best form team of the last 6 weeks.

Will be a long time before this guy plays NEAFL again.

Agree with most of what you said but i'm not sure there will ever be another Malceski. His career was interrupted by injuries and his consistency was patchy, but by golly at full flight he was the silkiest, cleanest player I've ever seen play the game. As Newman himself said he'd be lucky to be half the player Mal was. I'm quite content with Newman being the closest we'll ever get, so much upside too

What I like about Newman is he is imposing himself on the game. That driving tackle on the forward 50 is a great example. Great players do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For every Heeney produced by the academy, there will be half a dozen Footes.

Foote maybe shouldn't be written off after 6 games, a fair few players probably looked like spuds in their first handful, especially ones off the rookie list....BUT his form this year has shown he's clearly not up to AFL level right now and shouldn't be on the selection radar atm.
Why he was the emergency over players like Laidler and Marsh who have played at acceptable at AFL level this year, was a shocking call...especially on a NEAFL bye week.
More than happy to let him have another Pre-season and let him see if he can iron out his deficiencies and, if his form warrants it, give him another chance next year. Will need to start being 'solid' when called on in seniors or he's gone, will have been on the list long enough to expect atleast that.

For every Heeney produced by the academy, there will be half a dozen Footes.

Vic media disagrees.

Will have a team of Heeney's in 10 years.

Vic media disagrees.

Will have a team of Heeney's in 10 years.

Wouldn't that be sensational?!! Just not based in reality...

Just like the media to build you up and let you down...bunch of people out to create disruption and feed disharmony to make money, pathetic!

He should not be within a ten mile radius of the senior side for a long time.

But in his defence, he has been ridiculously unlucky in that he's never played in one single game where the team has played well. His debut was that crap game against Carlton last year at the SCG when we only won by a goal and we had a hilarious amount of skill errors/turnovers. Then he got a few games during the 0-6 run of games where the whole team was completely dysfunctional and so many players were out of form. This time he comes in against our bogey side Hawthorn, in a game where I could only count about five Swans who performed up to standard, and we just sucked. Granted he's done nothing to impress but it's difficult for a kid to insert themselves into a game when his team is in a shambles. He's had the complete opposite of the cruise control introduction to senior footy we gave Mills, Papley, Hewett etc last year with our dominance and leadership.

He's not an elite talent but his senior team mates have not made it easy for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back