Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but big footy is a forum set up to allow people like us, the chance to voice our "OPINION".

Therefore, when I am unhappy about a selection, I am going to voice it, rather than just go down the ever boring vanilla flavoured line of "Hine knows what he's doing"

Yes, we will wait to see what the future holds, but I stand by my opinion that Hrovat will end up being a much better player and leader than Broomhead will be.

You've made the point that you rated certain players higher than Broomhead, however as yet you haven't given reasons? I'm all for diverse opinions, however I also like justification for them.

What are the elements of Broomhead's game that you feel have made this an average selection? Is it his lack of size? Lack of ball winning ability? Lack of defensive pressure? Do you think he lacks versatility? Again the only justification I've seen from you is that you rated others higher which as I said earlier fits a "sexy pick" vibe.

Personally I rate the selection of Broomhead very highly because at the moment I look at our midfield and it just seems extremely one paced and with the young core we have Broomhead will be more than capable of growing with that group adding a further outside element to our team. He's also played senior SANFL football this year at a level on par with some of our senior listed players which given the disparity in development available is a big bonus. Finally the trait I look for most in a midfielder is clean hands and he (along with Kennedy) is a brilliant example of this. We play in a lot of high intensity matches so bringing in kids that don't fumble is a must. In every regard he is a rock solid selection for us.....

FWIW I'm not fussed that you disagree with the selection I just feel that you need to back up what your saying with legitimate reasons rather than saying you rated player x higher.

Love the fact that a kid with an underdeveloped body is holding his own with men in the SANFL. Looks like we are making sure we recruit players who can use the ball well.
Yep. 75 kgs playing against men and doing well. Imagine when he puts on some beef.

Nice pace and looks a good kick. Nice balance for a wingman.

Yep. 75 kgs playing against men and doing well. Imagine when he puts on some beef.

Nice pace and looks a good kick. Nice balance for a wingman.

Wow i thought broomhead was skinny, seedsmen is 15cm taller and he weights 2kg less. PUT ON SOME DAMN FAT SEEDY!!

Wells was apparently considering Broomhead at their pick, so that's two of the top three or so recruiters in the country who rate Broomhead over Hrovat. Good enough for me.

Watching his highlights, I was impressed. Put me down for a ticket on the bandwagon.

Highlights are just that... "Highlights"....Wood looked good with his so called highlights before Brisbane drafted him @ pick 18 a few years ago and look where is now. Anyway I love the name Broomhead. I reckon he could be the next cult figure at Collingwood.

Highlights are just that... "Highlights"....Wood looked good with his so called highlights before Brisbane drafted him @ pick 18 a few years ago and look where is now. Anyway I love the name Broomhead. I reckon he could be the next cult figure at Collingwood.
Like I said in another thread; highlights are highlights and you shouldn't expect to see missed targets or juggled marks. However if you can't do something, you can't get it down on tape either. Broomhead has pace, awareness, body control and a damaging kick, none of which are easily or cheaply faked on video.

small thing but how many times to people need to remind people that highlights are only highlights
we're not that stupid
fact is for many of us they are all we have to go on at the moment

Like I said in another thread; highlights are highlights and you shouldn't expect to see missed targets or juggled marks. However if you can't do something, you can't get it down on tape either. Broomhead has pace, awareness, body control and a damaging kick, none of which are easily or cheaply faked on video.
What you actually said was " you look beyond the fact that on a highlights video everyone hits their targets and takes one-grab marks, but the way they move and their kicking action is there for all to see. Vision, elusiveness, balance, you can't fake that by chopping up a season's worth of play unless you actually have it"

What you actually said was " you look beyond the fact that on a highlights video everyone hits their targets and takes one-grab marks, but the way they move and their kicking action is there for all to see. Vision, elusiveness, balance, you can't fake that by chopping up a season's worth of play unless you actually have it"
Did I say that? Well, it sounds good so we'll run with it. :p

Its not just about who will be the better player, it's who will be the better player in our team. Personally I don't think many people will argue that kennedy is better than hrovat, so with pick 20 it was theoretically between broomhead and hrovat.

As we already had kennedy blair elliot thomas sinclair and edwards next year, another midget in hrovat would of been bad for our team balance, making broomhead the better selection even if hrovat ends up being slightly better overall in a 1v1 comparison. Add in the fact we really need some pace in our team, that again makes broomhead the better choice (for us).

I'm just all about getting the best talent possible.. You talk of Blair, Sinclair, Elliot and (Josh) Thomas all being short, but the thing is, only one of those four players are in our best 22, and he (being Blair) is most likely in our bottom 6 players. You mention team balance, well I'm fairly confident a great talent like Hrovat will surpass Blair and the likes, increasing our bottom 6 - which would inevitably increase the balance of our team. And as far as recruiting for a specific body shape or height - I just don't subscribe to that.

Let's look at the midfielders in the centre bounce of this years GF.

Hawthorn - Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis
Sydney - Bolton, Kennedy, Jack

Except for Josh Kennedy, there's a serious shortage of height there, but not one shortage of talent - that basically sums up my point in a nutshell.

You've made the point that you rated certain players higher than Broomhead, however as yet you haven't given reasons? I'm all for diverse opinions, however I also like justification for them.

What are the elements of Broomhead's game that you feel have made this an average selection? Is it his lack of size? Lack of ball winning ability? Lack of defensive pressure? Do you think he lacks versatility? Again the only justification I've seen from you is that you rated others higher which as I said earlier fits a "sexy pick" vibe.

Personally I rate the selection of Broomhead very highly because at the moment I look at our midfield and it just seems extremely one paced and with the young core we have Broomhead will be more than capable of growing with that group adding a further outside element to our team. He's also played senior SANFL football this year at a level on par with some of our senior listed players which given the disparity in development available is a big bonus. Finally the trait I look for most in a midfielder is clean hands and he (along with Kennedy) is a brilliant example of this. We play in a lot of high intensity matches so bringing in kids that don't fumble is a must. In every regard he is a rock solid selection for us.....

FWIW I'm not fussed that you disagree with the selection I just feel that you need to back up what your saying with legitimate reasons rather than saying you rated player x higher.

I don't disagree with you that Broomhead may be a good player but I just see Hrovat as being a better player and really good leader in the future. I can't give any concrete reasons, I just like Hrovat more from what I have seen of them both. It's just my opinion.

BUT - Hrovat was Captain for the Northern Knights this year and he also went on to win their Best & Fairest. He had a standout year both in the TAC Cup and the U/18 National Carnival with Vic Metro where he was voted as the team MVP. You mentioned 'clean hands', and I'm glad you did because I see that as Hrovat's strength not Broomhead's - and this is backed up by the draft combine results which saw Nathan Hrovat rank 2nd overall with 28 out of a possible 30. He is so strong over the ball, and exceptionally good in traffic. he has good foot skills on both sides and plays a inside midfielders game.

Nathan Hrovat is a tough inside mid, and I believe this is what we need. I won't compare him to Blair or Elliott, I would compare him more to Luke Ball. He is a born leader, with a fantastic football brain and is an exceptional person. IMO he will be an extremely good asset to WB, and I suspect his impact on the game will outweigh that of young Broomhead.

With that said, I don't wish to disrespect Broomhead any further. He is now a Collingwood player and I wish him all the very best and welcome him to our great Club.

If you think i'm wrong, that's fine. We will agree to disagree!

Just caught the kid's highlights package, some very good pace, goal sense and ball use.

Is exactly thr type of half-forward we need along with Kennedy to replace Didak and Krakouer.

Throw in Fasolo and Elliott and it's a healthy mix of youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF are we going to do when Tooves gets the footy has a run and handballs to Broomy? Sound like this?

Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss

****Gasps for air****

Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmm

He likens his game to jimmy bartel. That excites me as bartel is different to most player comparisons made. Bartel is very versatile so i would say this kids strengths are skills, pace and versatility. perfect fit for our list.

I understand the whole highlights bit but both Broomy and BK appear to have very good weight on their kicks and accuracy to boot, which gives a leading forward a mark that the defender has zero chance to punch away.

Happy Days.

[quote="TradeDraft, post: 26477850, member: 93399"
Tim Broomhead[/quote]

fantastic name (srs)

Let's look at the midfielders in the centre bounce of this years GF.

Hawthorn - Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis
Sydney - Bolton, Kennedy, Jack

Except for Josh Kennedy, there's a serious shortage of height there, but not one shortage of talent - that basically sums up my point in a nutshell
The shortest one there is 4cm taller than Blair and Ben Kennedy is the same height as Blair. I just don't think we could afford to carry another midget.

He likens his game to jimmy bartel. That excites me as bartel is different to most player comparisons made. Bartel is very versatile so i would say this kids strengths are skills, pace and versatility. perfect fit for our list.

Where's that interview Tbone? Would love it if he turns into anything like Bartel, that's exactly what we need. Obviously the boy needs to eat a lot first.

I would have liked Hrovat or Lonergan as I still think we're deficient in our inside mid distributors. The list of mids who lined up in this years GF were all hard ball winners. We have Luke Ball, then ... so if Josh Thomas doesn't step up this year the cupboard is bare. Blair had a go last year and was underwhelming.

So I'm hopeful Broom is someone who can eventually move inside. His pace and balance look terrific, as does his kicking.

I understand the whole highlights bit but both Broomy and BK appear to have very good weight on their kicks and accuracy to boot, which gives a leading forward a mark that the defender has zero chance to punch away.

Happy Days.

Yep this is why I was against Vlatsuin kicking he didn't do this in his highlights he had up and under which made his team sit under the ball which would allow defenders to spoil easier.

Where's that interview Tbone? Would love it if he turns into anything like Bartel, that's exactly what we need. Obviously the boy needs to eat a lot first.

I would have liked Hrovat or Lonergan as I still think we're deficient in our inside mid distributors. The list of mids who lined up in this years GF were all hard ball winners. We have Luke Ball, then ... so if Josh Thomas doesn't step up this year the cupboard is bare. Blair had a go last year and was underwhelming.

So I'm hopeful Broom is someone who can eventually move inside. His pace and balance look terrific, as does his kicking.
I have no idea how to post links but if you get on foxsports and read Kevin sheehans top 30 picks, it is in there he likens himself to Bartel. I am sure there is an interview where he said it somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back