List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

He's come along really well this year, the WTF moments and lack of defence have diminished as the year has gone on - has worked hard on that part of his game.

Has very good forward instincts and has a knack of popping up to kick goals which is what you want in a forward. The most impressive of the haul from last year.

Ollie finished equal 11th in the comp for goals with 41, tied with Jye Amiss.

A reminder that Ollie turned 21 less than a month ago.

Of the players that kicked more than him, only Larkey, Allen and Naughton are under the age of 26.

Ollie kicked more than the likes of Ugle-Hagan, Rankine and Pickett who are all hyped up as young stars of the comp.

The sky is the limit for how good this guy can be.

View attachment 1786789

Will be an absolute gun. In the end we gave up picks 29ish (this year) 38 48 and 55 and a bloke hawthorn will delist in 2 years (cooper). Bargain. Pies will like it short term as mitchell may win a flag but ollie will be kicking 50 a year especially once hawk is gone, long long after mitchell is retired.

Will be an absolute gun. In the end we gave up picks 29ish (this year) 38 48 and 55 and a bloke hawthorn will delist in 2 years (cooper). Bargain. Pies will like it short term as mitchell may win a flag but ollie will be kicking 50 a year especially once hawk is gone, long long after mitchell is retired.
Agree.
Like Ollie to develop his defensive pressure (think opposition exploited him with runners in a few games) but overall a very impressive first season with us.

He's come along really well this year, the WTF moments and lack of defence have diminished as the year has gone on - has worked hard on that part of his game.

Has very good forward instincts and has a knack of popping up to kick goals which is what you want in a forward. The most impressive of the haul from last year.
This is the thing for me.

41 goals is fantastic, but it's even better to see that he's starting to get in and to the dirty work as well. Even in the games where it hasn't happened for him on the scoreboard, he's at least staying involved with tackles, chases, 1%-ers, etc....

And doesnt rack up free kick goals like Jye Amiss. Genuinely could be a top 10 player in the league in the future.

Love the way he attacks the ball in the air. He reminds me a little of a peak Russell Robertson

I will give you my opinion on a football forum - which im entitled to

And as you have found out on this forum - re your comments Taylor Bruhn - there are some dills on this forum - who if you dont buy the hype on a certain player - then they consider you are barracking against that player - which is 1000% utter rubbish

You mention Amiss who kicked exactly the same amount of goals as O Henry - and in my opinion he has one massive advantage - he has got explosive speed off the mark - O Henry hasnt got that . Cam Mooney had that explosive speed off a standing start - its a great asset for any footballer to have - especially a key forward

The other thing with O Henry - i dont think he has got reliable sticky fingers - he is a 2 grabber - and that left foot kick of Bews that actually went through the goals - it went straight through Henrys hands - he barely touched it - a Geel district player would have taken that mark - but lets not let that get in the way of the hype

Henry is 21 - if he had Gary Rohans explosive pace - but he hasnt - if he marked and kicked like Gary Rohan - but he doesnt - if he had those facets to his game - you would get super excited

On what he has shown at Collingwood and now Geelong - at this stage i think he could be a reasonable player for the Cats - definitely not a super star - no way

And as you have found out on this forum - re your comments Taylor Bruhn - there are some dills on this forum - who if you dont buy the hype on a certain player - then they consider you are barracking against that player - which is 1000% utter rubbish

You mention Amiss who kicked exactly the same amount of goals as O Henry - and in my opinion he has one massive advantage - he has got explosive speed off the mark - O Henry hasnt got that . Cam Mooney had that explosive speed off a standing start - its a great asset for any footballer to have - especially a key forward

The other thing with O Henry - i dont think he has got reliable sticky fingers - he is a 2 grabber - and that left foot kick of Bews that actually went through the goals - it went straight through Henrys hands - he barely touched it - a Geel district player would have taken that mark - but lets not let that get in the way of the hype

Henry is 21 - if he had Gary Rohans explosive pace - but he hasnt - if he marked and kicked like Gary Rohan - but he doesnt - if he had those facets to his game - you would get super excited

On what he has shown at Collingwood and now Geelong - at this stage i think he could be a reasonable player for the Cats - definitely not a super star - no way
In today's game, if you're kicking 40-50 goals every year then you ARE a superstar. That's the level the game is at nowadays, and he's doing it as a kid.

Who knows? As he gets bigger, stronger and more experienced he could even get up to the 60 range. Playing a few finals wouldn't hurt that number either.

He is a little undersized at 189cm, but the best forward in the game right now is only 191cm (Curnow).

Ollie might still have a few cm of growth left in him, and that was reported over the summer that he did.

I disagree with Warhorse's Bruhn opinion, but that's got far more chance of eventuating than your views on Ollie.

I love Bruhn, but he's not yet one of the best in the game at his position. Ollie is.

He's top 15 in the Coleman at 21 years of age, he's closing in on star territory already.

Last edited:
How good is it we didn't end up giving away this years first for him that's now pick 7?

Astute trading by the club had a great first year kicking 41 goals.

Yep great trade and screwed collingwood out of the top 10 pick they wanted for him. Well done.

And doesnt rack up free kick goals like Jye Amiss. Genuinely could be a top 10 player in the league in the future.

Love the way he attacks the ball in the air. He reminds me a little of a peak Russell Robertson
Amiss rarely gets free kick goals. Ollie has more frees than him this season.

In today's game, if you're kicking 40-50 goals every year then you ARE a superstar. That's the level the game is at nowadays, and he's doing it as a kid.

Who knows? As he gets bigger, stronger and more experienced he could even get up to the 60 range. Playing a few finals wouldn't hurt that number either.

He is a little undersized at 189cm, but the best forward in the game right now is only 191cm (Curnow).

Ollie might still have a few cm of growth left in him, and that was reported over the summer that he did.

I disagree with Warhorse's Bruhn opinion, but that's got far more chance of eventuating than your views on Ollie.

I love Bruhn, but he's not yet one of the best in the game at his position. Ollie is.

He's top 15 in the Coleman in at 21 years of age, he's closing in on star territory already.

Thats fair enough - thats your opinion - and for Geelongs sake i hope you are proved right

But in my opinion i dont think he will be anywhere near as good as Cam Mooney - because of physical attributes

Mooney had that power and speed off a virtual stationary start - which is a tremendous asset to have - and O Henry hasnt got that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss rarely gets free kick goals. Ollie has more frees than him this season.
They've both had awesome years, and will be superstars of the future

Let's back out now before this inevitably turns in to a pissing contest 🤣

In 4-5 years time he will be our best player

What he does do is kick bags of goals. Has rohan ever hit over 40 goals in a season.

I think Fritsch from melb is a better comparison, though Henry plays taller more like a KP.

Oh, I love hearing opinions different to mine as well.
Just gotta defend my guy against false rumours when I see them. Ollie is a great player.
Amiss needs to stop staging for frees before he gets my respect

Looking forward to the inevitable goal compilation
I hope this means you are a convert. Your sins - being an O.Henry sceptic as recently as July - will be forgiven is you pay tribute at the shrine of Ollie promptly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back