Welcome to the Bulldogs Caleb Poulter

Remove this Banner Ad

Joins Hamling and Gardner as 'second chance' picks.
Good luck to him, big boy and can run.

Had some good and some ordinary, but he's someone that's aware of the system and there were some Pies fans that were disappointed to see him delisted (after just 2 seasons and 12 games).

Seems as though we penciled this in at the start of the season and we liked what we saw at VFL level where he has played some good games for Footscray.

He is absolutely massive for a midfielder and is still only 20 (went top 30 in the Marra draft) so there’s plenty of upside and development left in him.

Also glorious mullet. We needed more of those.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
What was it that Collingwood didn’t like?

Like any kid, he may not work out, but I see potentially elite attributes (and recruiters obviously did) on a developing guy that could really fill out and prosper in a few years.

Seemed that sort of player that any club gives that extra few years to just because of their upside. Good size, athletic, decent user, bit of X-factor etc.

He’s well worth a punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was keen on him in his draft year and I've followed him closely. Wouldve liked to have seen him play some inside mid time In the vfl as a big body inside mid is how I see him however as a tall wingman he should get better service from our afl mids then he has gotten from the VFL team. Looking forward to seeing him in the ones.

What was it that Collingwood didn’t like?

Like any kid, he may not work out, but I see potentially elite attributes (and recruiters obviously did) on a developing guy that could really fill out and prosper in a few years.

Seemed that sort of player that any club gives that extra few years to just because of their upside. Good size, athletic, decent user, bit of X-factor etc.

He’s well worth a punt.

From his thread on the Collingwood board - skinny, didn't have a lot of defensive intent, and seemed to not have his head in the game. Being delisted and then nominating for the mid season draft would suggest that he'll be a bit more determined now.

Was keen on him in his draft year and I've followed him closely. Wouldve liked to have seen him play some inside mid time In the vfl as a big body inside mid is how I see him however as a tall wingman he should get better service from our afl mids then he has gotten from the VFL team. Looking forward to seeing him in the ones.

With us he was definitely an outside only mid, maybe with more size that'll change, but he always hovered just outside of packs instead of going on.

From his thread on the Collingwood board - skinny, didn't have a lot of defensive intent, and seemed to not have his head in the game. Being delisted and then nominating for the mid season draft would suggest that he'll be a bit more determined now.

Yeah I can kind of see that, but he always looked a guy that was always going to take 4-5 years to fill out and develop.

With us he was definitely an outside only mid, maybe with more size that'll change, but he always hovered just outside of packs instead of going on.
As a junior he was almost exclusively an inside mid. As you suggest he still is very light for 194cm so switching to the outside was probably by design up against bigger bodies. I just hope we don't pigeon hole him as just an outside mid. at 20 years old and 194cm he essentially needs to be viewed like young key position players do, which was why it was a shock to see the Pies dump him after 2 years.

As a junior he was almost exclusively an inside mid. As you suggest he still is very light for 194cm so switching to the outside was probably by design up against bigger bodies. I just hope we don't pigeon hole him as just an outside mid. at 20 years old and 194cm he essentially needs to be viewed like young key position players do, which was why it was a shock to see the Pies dump him after 2 years.

I think his 2nd year he was worst than his first year, which is why he was dumped.

Cool!

He showed a bit at Collingwood, I was surprised he didn’t immediately get a second chance after his delisting.

He had a couple of big weaknesses that the delisting wasn’t too much of a surprise but he is still young and time is on his side. His running speed/power and kicking penetration were the things that held him back from being a really good outside player. He’s a good size though and is clearly a smart player who knows how to find the ball and where to run. If he can improve those two main weaknesses then there is definitely a spot in an AFL 22 for him. At worst he’ll be decent backup until better players come through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back