Welcome to the Bulldogs Caleb Poulter

Remove this Banner Ad

We really should have players banging down the door to get on the list at Footscray.

Ideally yes. Think we've been a bit put off after Hannan and Long were taken earlier then we expected. I've heard Beveridge speak about it a couple times in press conferences particularly in regards to Hannan. It's kinda like Jason Taylor (the Melbourne recruiter) stole his girlfirend.

But there's plenty more fish in the sea, ain't I right flipper?

I think Poulter could perform the Roarke Smith role pretty well at the least. 193cm and still young. Makes more sense than a journeyman VFL mid

You don't have to be quick to be a great AFL footballer, eg- Dane Swan.
I remember our fans getting quite upset as Swan would burst out of the stoppage and guys like Boyd wouldn't get near him. Had some speed but wasn't an endurance athlete by AFL standards (averaged like 80% TOG and was the most interchanged player in the league)

Ideally yes. Think we've been a bit put off after Hannan and Long were taken earlier then we expected. I've heard Beveridge speak about it a couple times in press conferences particularly in regards to Hannan. It's kinda like Jason Taylor (the Melbourne recruiter) stole his girlfirend.

But there's plenty more fish in the sea, ain't I right flipper?
Exactly right! Cast the net wide. There will be few that get away but others won't.
The other benefit is that having a strong VFL side helps the development of listed players.
I guess an issue is that, without injury, there aren't many spots in the team for non AFL listed players but I still think we should be doing better than we are.
I'd be happy if the club left a list spot open every year and approached a few players in positions of need and said come and play for Footscray and whoever does best gets promoted.
Particularly if the suggested mid season DFA period goes ahead.

I remember our fans getting quite upset as Swan would burst out of the stoppage and guys like Boyd wouldn't get near him. Had some speed but wasn't an endurance athlete by AFL standards (averaged like 80% TOG and was the most interchanged player in the league)
Part of that was because he was fit enough to recover with a 90 second rotation when other players were taking 4 minute rotations.

That also helped him shake taggers as his rotations were just so uncommon.

The lazy persona didn't reflect reality - he'd finish training, then jump on a treadmill as other guys went home and do repeat 400m runs which at AFL training place are vomit inducing gut busters. He was actually super fit.

From bevos press conference today ut sounds like poulters first crack in the seniors will be at halfback
I do wonder whether the injury to JJ forced their hand a little bit. I've mentioned earlier but other than shifting Daniel to defence, Poulter would be in the next group of running defender types with Cleary & Crozier.

I do wonder whether the injury to JJ forced their hand a little bit. I've mentioned earlier but other than shifting Daniel to defence, Poulter would be in the next group of running defender types with Cleary & Crozier.
I wonder if Williams to defence and Poulter taking his wing role is on the cards. Personally I wouldn’t really want to mess with Truck’s role too much though think he’s been solid on the wing

Part of that was because he was fit enough to recover with a 90 second rotation when other players were taking 4 minute rotations.

That also helped him shake taggers as his rotations were just so uncommon.

The lazy persona didn't reflect reality - he'd finish training, then jump on a treadmill as other guys went home and do repeat 400m runs which at AFL training place are vomit inducing gut busters. He was actually super fit.
He was also a naturally talented player that was a step ahead of most in reading the play.

He would be a great fit in our team actually.

Well this is one instance of a player who could easily have gone elsewhere doing just that. Whether he succeeds or not is now secondary as far as other hopefuls are concerned. If they see it as their best shot to rescue their AFL dream we can expect a few more to come Footscray’s way.

Jury is still out as to whether it’s the best use of a list spot. At this stage Scott looks like one successful graduate but most of the others have either left or are fringe players: Gowers, Hayes, Hannan, McComb.

In most cases it’s a very late draft pick so we wouldn’t expect a high hit rate if we’d used that spot on the 80th ranked U18 prospect anyway.
It's worth a list spot imo. It may be putting a super positive lens on it but the guys you've mentioned all played senior footy and although weren't up to it long term provided some short term output, Gowers leading goalkicker 2018, Hannan played in a GF side etc. Credentials most people would be happy with from players drafted 60+/rookies.

The club should change tact a little and target players in areas of need, with higher ceiling though and not pick the generic, VFL level mid.

Good luck to Poulter, more the type we should be targrtting with these speculative picks, not many in front of him for a wing/HB spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got my reservations about him from what I’ve seen this year at Footscray but hope he gets a game soon. Keen to see what he’s got at the top level and it would be nice if he offers something on the outside which we’re really crying out for.

Just needs to back himself to take the game on more than he has so far at VFL level, hopefully Bev is the right sort of coach to get that buy in out of him.

I’ve got my reservations about him from what I’ve seen this year at Footscray but hope he gets a game soon. Keen to see what he’s got at the top level and it would be nice if he offers something on the outside which we’re really crying out for.

Just needs to back himself to take the game on more than he has so far at VFL level, hopefully Bev is the right sort of coach to get that buy in out of him.
I think he's been a bit ordinary late, but I feel like his start to the season was actually pretty good. I certainly think he's played more good than bad, but I also think that has a bit to do with fitness as I suspect the delisting from the Pies lit a fire and he kept himself super fit over the off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back