Strategy What are we going to do about centre half forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure moving Mackie forward is the best option but it is a better option than Taylor. Because he is a natural forward, unlike Taylor. He knows where the goals are and he kicks it well. He was also a canny leader as a younger player.

It has been a long time frustration of mine that it is just never been tried in all the home and away seasons we have dominated over the years. Even just to freshen him up mentally through the season. He has never gone forward once.

I am not suggesting we try it this week but the fact he has not once moved forward in the last 7 years (despite being drafted as a forward) shows the crippling lack of creativity in the coach's thinking.

So based on last night are we any clearer on what to do?

Vardy? Draft? Trade?

It's a big problem we have atm. I'm certain Brown isn't the answer, still on the fence with Walker and Vardy has injury/body concerns.

Well, Vardy (as much as I like him) hasn't really given us any indication that he is or isn't the answer. Until he can get on the park and string games together he'll remain listed as "unknown" to the outside supporter.

I thought Walker's last couple of games have shown a bit (not from a stats perspective but from a "belief" perspective). I thought he was handy in the first half against the Hawks. There is something to work with there I think.

Brown, I'm like you in that I'm not convinced about him. That said, his last game was fine. I think he is more a 3rd tall option rather than CHF but he does know where to run to and perhaps that is enough. Brown acts as a lead up target, Hawkins is the high bomb bail out. Brown is also a good kick at goal which means if he gets the ball in dangerous areas he'll probably give us a couple of goals a game.

And then there is Kersten.

Draft is one option but Jack Darling types rarely fall into your lap so it'll be tricky finding one in there that is much better than Walker or Brown (esp. for the short term which seems to be what we're discussing here).

Tyler Keitel, a WA key position player, might be an option but he'll need a bit of time to develop. At that mid 190cm range he can play both ends of the ground (has played more as a forward but one game I saw he played in defence and I thought played better than when I'd saw him play at CHF).

Tom Lamb is another one that might slip to us. While he is a key position size he plays a bit more like a midfielder or flanker. Of the little I've seen of him he looks alright but he struck me as a bit of a "boom or bust" type (again, my vision of him is very limited so that may be an unfair assessment).

As for trading, quality key position types are going to cost you. Jaksch, who is still yet to establish himself, might be worth having a look at but GWS will probably want our first round pick or a decent player in return. Again, would Jaksch (who I like) really provide much more than we currently get out of Walker, Brown, Kersten or, I'll assume, Vardy??

I'm leaning towards working with what we have on the list but that just seems to be accepting the status quo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back