What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll have games where he struggles. Then he'll have games where he shows promise. Patience will be required.

Elton has played 1 game, however he was a KPF as a junior and has only switched to defence thru last year.
He was very impressive on the weekend, if Rance goes you'll have him as decent back up. Or maybe even give him games this year and use Chaplin as a third tall.

If the Dogs can get something around the 40 goal mark out of him they'll be more than happy.

He does though have a second quality which will be important, ball to ground in marking contests. Dawes does this incredibly well, whilst he might not take the marks, neither does his opponent so there is always a ball for crumbers. If Boyd can do this then even if he kicks 30 goals he'll have done alright because the small forwards will pick up the slack through weight of opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are St Kilda fans giving us heaps (I acknowledge not all saints fans) when your team tried to trump our trade to get him for yourselves (think it was picks 1 and 21) and would have offered maybe not as large a deal but certainly a big dollar deal as well (saints have heaps of cap space too so it wouldn't have surprised if it was close to our contract we gave him). Not sure why after their club was almost certain to have done a similar type of trade, they then pan him for not kicking enough goals and not taking enough marks inside 50, when he played up the ground mostly anyway.

Not to mention trying to trade up the Billings pick for Boyd in 2013 in the first place.

Why are St Kilda fans giving us heaps (I acknowledge not all saints fans) when your team tried to trump our trade to get him for yourselves (think it was picks 1 and 21) and would have offered maybe not as large a deal but certainly a big dollar deal as well (saints have heaps of cap space too so it wouldn't have surprised if it was close to our contract we gave him). Not sure why after their club was almost certain to have done a similar type of trade, they then pan him for not kicking enough goals and not taking enough marks inside 50, when he played up the ground mostly anyway.

Not to mention trying to trade up the Billings pick for Boyd in 2013 in the first place.

May have a little bit to do with a couple of WB posters that bagged Spencer White after his three goal debut. I believe we showed some interest in Boyd but were never happy with GWS or his price tag as we could get Mccartin who rates at worst the equal of Boyd and a good player at 21.

Last edited:
May have a little bit to do with a couple of WB posters that bagged Spencer White after his three goal debut. I believe we showed some interest in Boyd but were never happy with GWS or his price tag as we could get Mccartin who rates at worst the equal of Boyd and a good player at 21.
McCartin at worst equal of Boyd?

I thought Petracca was the superstar talent you just don't pass up on.

McCartin at worst equal of Boyd?

I thought Petracca was the superstar talent you just don't pass up on.

Pettracca will be a superstar nothing has changed. McCartin is a gun key forward that StKilda clearly thought they needed.

I just wanted to point out this from the saints board

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-draft-trade-fa-megathread.1047381/page-893

Read pages 893 and onwards

At the time we all found out that Boyd wanted a trade to the dogs at least 75% of saints fans were desperate to match any offer that we put on the table for Boyd,

Here are what many of your posters argued at the time

"If I were St Kilda, I would go to Boyd and offer a better pay packet and deal than WB. We have the capability. Massively front load it so that it doesn't affect our FA push in a few years."

"What can the Bulldogs offer that beats that? We should try to trump them on every level"

"Don't stress peeps, rest assured Saints have made enquires about Tom Boyd since this broke publicly. Wouldn't be surprised if we trump the Dogs"

"Screw that. Match it, call the Dogs out. Sure the money is huge, but Boyd could learn and play under the best CHF since Carey, a club with a coach and at least some stability and a clear direction. We have said we are building a war chest, I want to see it."

Those comments were what the majority of Saints posters were saying when the news landed and rightly so, the saints should/and I believe did go just as hard as we did after a gun junior KPF who would fit in well with the needs of our list and age bracket. Sure there was a couple of posters that argued against it but the overwhelming majority argued for it.

But now hes not at the saints but rather at the dogs he is a spud, because he didn't kick 10 goals in his first game. A spud that your recruitment managers and your posters overwhelming favoured as the more valuable player than Petrecca who 90% argued should have been the number 1 pick (at the time of the trade period). A spud who most of your posters argued and supported that whatever financial cost Boyd has to come St Kilda and we just have to trump the dogs.

I don't see why one nab cup game and a preseason should have changed those thoughts at all.

I'm not calling out all Saints supporters some who supporterd what we were doing. Nor am I saying that Boyd will be a better player than Petrecca or McCartin (as it is completely speculative), but I am certainly suggesting that the majority of saints fans and football fans rated Boyd over any 2014 draftee at the end of last year.

I just wanted to point out this from the saints board

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-draft-trade-fa-megathread.1047381/page-893

Read pages 893 and onwards

At the time we all found out that Boyd wanted a trade to the dogs at least 75% of saints fans were desperate to match any offer that we put on the table for Boyd,

Here are what many of your posters argued at the time

"If I were St Kilda, I would go to Boyd and offer a better pay packet and deal than WB. We have the capability. Massively front load it so that it doesn't affect our FA push in a few years."

"What can the Bulldogs offer that beats that? We should try to trump them on every level"

"Don't stress peeps, rest assured Saints have made enquires about Tom Boyd since this broke publicly. Wouldn't be surprised if we trump the Dogs"

"Screw that. Match it, call the Dogs out. Sure the money is huge, but Boyd could learn and play under the best CHF since Carey, a club with a coach and at least some stability and a clear direction. We have said we are building a war chest, I want to see it."

Those comments were what the majority of Saints posters were saying when the news landed and rightly so, the saints should/and I believe did go just as hard as we did after a gun junior KPF who would fit in well with the needs of our list and age bracket. Sure there was a couple of posters that argued against it but the overwhelming majority argued for it.

But now hes not at the saints but rather at the dogs he is a spud, because he didn't kick 10 goals in his first game. A spud that your recruitment managers and your posters overwhelming favoured as the more valuable player than Petrecca who 90% argued should have been the number 1 pick (at the time of the trade period). A spud who most of your posters argued and supported that whatever financial cost Boyd has to come St Kilda and we just have to trump the dogs.

I don't see why one nab cup game and a preseason should have changed those thoughts at all.

I'm not calling out all Saints supporters some who supporterd what we were doing. Nor am I saying that Boyd will be a better player than Petrecca or McCartin (as it is completely speculative), but I am certainly suggesting that the majority of saints fans and football fans rated Boyd over any 2014 draftee at the end of last year.

Lol a few a posters on BF hey. I rated Pettracca better than both as Id seen a lot of him and not much of McCartin should that be considered as gospel?

Back