What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyd will be a fail up forward. Maybe try him as a defender.

As hilarious as Boyd trying to play on Hogan would be, this is a silly post. He is in the Kurt Tippett mould, FF and occasional ruck (Although I don't think he'll be as good a ruck as Tippett is).

Boyds biggest problem is he really needs to work on his body, Dogs fans go on and on about how heavy he was when he came from GWS but they've got a point, watching him this year he just looked so slow and immobile. Don't think Redpath is even that ahead of Boyd overall, but he provides a lot more contests and despite his knee history is more mobile than Boyd.

Hard to say what we should expect from Boyd, IMO he is never going to be a top 3 key forward in the AFL, think he is a bit too one-dimensional. Having said that, considering how well the Dogs are developing in other parts of the ground he definitely will give them that long target to straighten them up, and he could still have a few years where he kicks 70+ just because the ball is coming down so often. I ignore his pay packet really, I mean the only way it backfires for the Dogs is if they lose some quality kids who get squeezed out because they can't afford to pay market value.

As hilarious as Boyd trying to play on Hogan would be, this is a silly post. He is in the Kurt Tippett mould, FF and occasional ruck (Although I don't think he'll be as good a ruck as Tippett is).

Boyds biggest problem is he really needs to work on his body, Dogs fans go on and on about how heavy he was when he came from GWS but they've got a point, watching him this year he just looked so slow and immobile. Don't think Redpath is even that ahead of Boyd overall, but he provides a lot more contests and despite his knee history is more mobile than Boyd.

Hard to say what we should expect from Boyd, IMO he is never going to be a top 3 key forward in the AFL, think he is a bit too one-dimensional. Having said that, considering how well the Dogs are developing in other parts of the ground he definitely will give them that long target to straighten them up, and he could still have a few years where he kicks 70+ just because the ball is coming down so often. I ignore his pay packet really, I mean the only way it backfires for the Dogs is if they lose some quality kids who get squeezed out because they can't afford to pay market value.

He was working hard up the ground in the VFL late last year, but lacks the tank to do it consistently and at AFL level. But that is what hard pre-seasons are for.....

So far we've signed up nearly all of our kids and there are no signs of the (much hoped for) exodus of talent from out west....

He was working hard up the ground in the VFL late last year, but lacks the tank to do it consistently and at AFL level. But that is what hard pre-seasons are for.....

So far we've signed up nearly all of our kids and there are no signs of the (much hoped for) exodus of talent from out west....

I'm not saying he WILL force others out, I'm just saying that is the only way his contract can backfire (Well he could be an absolute dud but I doubt that). Thought whilst it seemed outrageous initially what the Dogs paid Boyd was what they had to pay him to get him to the club, getting a player who is contracted to your club will always mean you pay big overs.

I'm not saying he WILL force others out, I'm just saying that is the only way his contract can backfire (Well he could be an absolute dud but I doubt that). Thought whilst it seemed outrageous initially what the Dogs paid Boyd was what they had to pay him to get him to the club, getting a player who is contracted to your club will always mean you pay big overs.

Had to pay overs from a number of perspectives. It's not just the contracted player, it was the loss of coach, the position on the ladder, recent performances, Boyd played in a position of need etc etc.

Problem for the doggies is that they've paid overs for the wrong player. There's a solid chance he will never make the grade. Too robotic and one dimensional.

Had to pay overs from a number of perspectives. It's not just the contracted player, it was the loss of coach, the position on the ladder, recent performances, Boyd played in a position of need etc etc.

I applaud the Dogs for not dying wondering.

Look at Freo, haven't been able to bring in a Pav replacement in 3 or 4 years of drafts and trading.

I applaud the Dogs for not dying wondering.

Look at Freo, haven't been able to bring in a Pav replacement in 3 or 4 years of drafts and trading.

We haven't had KPF prospects in a long time.... We've always run with too few KPP options, hence C Grant spending half his time at CHB and half at CHF. Similar story with EJ.

Given the position we were in, it wasn't the worst option to take, just an expensive one (for the next few years)....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem for the doggies is that they've paid overs for the wrong player. There's a solid chance he will never make the grade. Too robotic and one dimensional.

Ridiculous comment ... would you say the same about McCartin who did less in his first year than Boyd did?

Quite a few StKilda fans here are desperate for Boyd to fail

At what stage will the comp start to turn on Boyd?
If he hasnt done anything by the end of next year I'm tipping the AFL world will make him the next Jack Watts...a rich Jack Watts though..

At what stage will the comp start to turn on Boyd?
If he hasnt done anything by the end of next year I'm tipping the AFL world will make him the next Jack Watts...a rich Jack Watts though..

I think by mid-year the pressure on him and the ridicule faced by the club will really step up a gear if he continues to flounder.

Back