What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's ok. I'll take Boyd, Stringer and Bontempelli. You can have McCartin, Bruce and your 600K.....

Many St Kilda and Melbourne fans flock to Tom Boyd threads. Maybe it's because they know any overall comparisons between the three clubs lists at this stage will be so one sided?

A few Dogs fans have made mention that Boyd has spent a not insignificant amount of time in the ruck this year. Do you really think Boyd will be a forward/ruck in the long term or is that temporary due to a lack of other options?

Interesting to read that article about the Dogs coaches saying Boyd needs to improve his athleticism i think?

Seems Boyd is just used to relying on his extra size to beat his opponent and sit in the F50...cant do that at AFL level. Needs to lift.

Interesting to read that article about the Dogs coaches saying Boyd needs to improve his athleticism i think?

Seems Boyd is just used to relying on his extra size to beat his opponent and sit in the F50...cant do that at AFL level. Needs to lift.

Hawkins got used to it, it will come for Boyd. Might take a little while, but it will come.

Dogs paid overs but that's what they needed to do to get Boyd through the door.

Boyd will take time but he'll be worth it in 2-3 years in a prelim final.

Not sure he's a pure full forward though just doesn't have the agility needed in today's footy. Looks more Brad Ottens. Nothing wrong with that.

A few Dogs fans have made mention that Boyd has spent a not insignificant amount of time in the ruck this year. Do you really think Boyd will be a forward/ruck in the long term or is that temporary due to a lack of other options?
More due to modern footy requiring versatility.

Hard to say. Given we are a bit light on KPF and effective rucks at the moment it may well be because we have a lack of options. My hope is we end up with a 2nd tall forward and then we can put them both where they are most naturally suited.

Mccarthy is a genuine FF. Not sure why you think he is a third tall. He's an absolute beast that's shown more than boyd and on 1/4 of the pay packet per year

Its a no brainer. People would take mccarthy

We already have 3 players who can perform McCarthy's role. If Boyd develops as we hope, he will be the first long-term player in 2 decades we will have had who plays his role. You don't think that is worth taking a risk for? I do.

I must of hit a saw point...
If another club offered a unproven 19 yrold a contract like what the dogs offered to Boyd and then the player did jack s**t in his first year im sure the dogs fans would be critical.

If Freo did the same thing we did, I would understand and would admire them for taking a risk even if it blew up in their face. It is the reason I have defended Collingwood and St Kilda for clearing out their stars and fully committing to drafting bravely

I don't admire those who play to not lose. It's weak.

So he's just going to happily take a significant paycut on his next contract because... why?
Well because maybe he won't have other options. And if he does have other options from other clubs at a higher salary, that's mean he's turned into a damn good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's just going to happily take a significant paycut on his next contract because... why?
I think that'll be a worry of ours when he's heading out of contract in 2021. Either he's a gun KPF that's worth 1 mill per year (more than he will be getting paid in the final years of his deal), or he's not. By 2021 player movement will be a lot more common, american sports style, and we'll let the market dictate his worth.
The frontloading was already part of the contract he signed in 2014. Until 2021, we'll just enjoy the fact that we have him.

Boyd is a Capper all over. Bears players didn't like that Capper was on so much more cash then they were do they refused to pass to him... used to have a crack at goal from 50+ out instead of kicking it to Capper. Toyd might follow a similar path.

Haha that's one of the more ingenuous doomsday scenarios opposition fans who want to see the dogs fail have used.

Game is a bit more professional these days

I don't doubt he will become a great player. But there is no way he will take a paycut when he reaches his prime. Especially when a club was happy to pay him $1mil pay to develop

I think he will be a forward/ruck next season and for the duration of his career.

He's a pretty good second ruck also and I think we shouldn't play Boyd and another ruckman sized player in the same forward line. Our forward line looks better when he has the the solitary "tall" and Stringer taking the main defender.

Boyd with multiple other options such as Stringer and Crameri (could even use another mobile tall player in there) is probably the best way to go in my view.

yeh plenty of times.. why?

last time i check he wasnt on anywhere near 800k, numbers were around 500-600k and that was before his contract was re-written. i'd say he'd be on somewhere between 400-500k now. but dont let the truth get in the way of a good story

Oh, the irony and the hypocrisy !!!

Just without the risk of the 7m over 7 years deal

incorrect. let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story eh ??

to another incorrect post, stating Boyd was earning many times more than Riewoldt in their equivalent 2nd years.... Ignoring the fact he's still on his rookie/draft contract. But again, let's not let the truth get in the way of your obsession here....

Oh, the irony and the hypocrisy !!!

incorrect. let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story eh ??

to another incorrect post, stating Boyd was earning many times more than Riewoldt in their equivalent 2nd years.... Ignoring the fact he's still on his rookie/draft contract. But again, let's not let the truth get in the way of your obsession here....
Lol no he's not. He has moved onto his new contract as of october 31

AFL+Rd+14+Collingwood+v+Hawthorn+FyzO_FFPKCjl.jpg

Boys been rubbing bacon on his face with Kruuuuuzeeee

Back