What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If in 5 years he's our number one KPF in a premiership contender and up there with the best forwards in the league do you really think were gonna care what we paid for him in his first few years to develop when we had absolutely shitloads of cap space.
Thats a massive IF

Lets assume he is. You would have by that point paid him 5m with only 1-2 years left on his contract. Given he seems to like money he could very well leave again

One is a genuine kpf/ruck the other a third tall. Different players.
Mccarthy is a genuine FF. Not sure why you think he is a third tall. He's an absolute beast that's shown more than boyd and on 1/4 of the pay packet per year

Its a no brainer. People would take mccarthy

I must of hit a saw point...
If another club offered a unproven 19 yrold a contract like what the dogs offered to Boyd and then the player did jack s**t in his first year im sure the dogs fans would be critical.

Sore point....

J Riewoldt

2008 - 18 goals @ 1.0 gpg.

T Boyd

2015 - 16 goals @ 1.1 gpg.

Similar output......

Lol 40 break even.

40 goals would be a fantastic result.

I agree.

If someone told me that Boyd would kick 40 goals a season both in 2016 and 2017 I'd more than take it.

Whilst it would be nice if Boyd became a 60 goal a season forward from 2016 (which is very very unlikely), its not as if he is our great white hope in the forward line. Our forward line currently has some real firepower already (lead by Stringer).

Stringer will always be our most dangerous forward. Whilst Boyd is always going to have someone who seems ideally suited to play against him Stringer is a nightmare matchup.

Just without the risk of the 7m over 7 years deal

Agreed. I think it's $6.2M over 7 (essentially 1M per year after his initial rookie contract finishes), but it's still a lot of money. But his output to date matches a number of other players that have gone on to be good forwards. And in the position we were in last year, we had to pay overs to attract someone to come to the club. This year, might have been different...

I've often wondered if we needed to go as high as the full 1M per year, maybe 800K per year would have been successful in luring him across - but I wasn't there so can't answer that...

:thumbsu:....and probably paid a quarter of what you paid without trading out a captain and top 10 pick.

Er, Boyd was on a rookie contract last year, got about 200K as a #1 draft pick... You're not very good at this are you ???

If another club offered a unproven 19 yrold a contract like what the dogs offered to Boyd and then the player did jack s**t in his first year im sure the dogs fans would be critical.

Depends if I hated the team.
If the team had not had a proper tall key forward since 1985 (Simon Beasley) and had lost numerous preliminary finals since then with the tall forward post a glaring hole in the list... then I would say they have a lot of guts to go out and get the young player touted to fill that hole. i would find the experiment fascinating and i would understand that the 7 year contract means they are serious about developing this key forward and know that it won't happen overnight because it NEVER happens overnight.

During the off season I've been watching the replays of our games this year and Boyd played really well in a lot of games. He brought the ball to the front of the pack against 3 and 4 opponents just about everytime he went up in a pack. Highlights from the year were against Hawthorn and Lake where he plucked a few great marks and snagged a couple. Against West Coast he found himself in the rare position where he was one out against McGovern - you know that gun defender that everyone raves about.... - anyway he outbodied him with ease, took a one grab mark, went back and calmly slotted it. Yes these are but a few highlights in a long year (there are more) but I can see more than just potential there. The kid turns 20 soon and is currently completing his first full pre-season and will present next year slimmed down and able to run faster and longer.

Dogs fans see it as a long term investment - they understand it and love watching it unfold.

If in 5 years he's our number one KPF in a premiership contender and up there with the best forwards in the league do you really think were gonna care what we paid for him in his first few years to develop when we had absolutely shitloads of cap space.

If he's getting $1 million a year in his development phase, what kind of salary is he going to expect in his prime?

If he's getting $1 million a year in his development phase, what kind of salary is he going to expect in his prime?

less, his contract is front loaded after he finished his two year rookie/draftee deal....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't do jack s**t. If he was still at GWS with that output his development would be judged pretty much normal and you actually have to choose to be more simplistic to be harsher on a second year forward like you are.

As much as people might not want it to be the case, this was a long term investment

why are you even in this thread? Just looking to troll?

How's McCartin looking by the way? Last I heard was he is still completing the time trial most other players finished last week.

was he? news to me... maybe you should start a thread on it

i guess we are lucky we still have bruce and the spare 600k a year then

was he? news to me... maybe you should start a thread on it

i guess we are lucky we still have bruce and the spare 600k a year then

That's ok. I'll take Boyd, Stringer and Bontempelli. You can have McCartin, Bruce and your 600K.....

That's ok. I'll take Boyd, Stringer and Bontempelli. You can have McCartin, Bruce and your 600K.....
Its quite funny because you take out those 3 (who could quite easily be in the top handful of players in the league within a few years) and our list would still beat St Kildas in both top line talent and depth.

Everyone knows that if we didn't get Boyd last year, as soon as he announced his return back to Carlton/other Victorian team this offseason, they'd be saying 'The Dogs haven't had a KPF since the 80s, why didn't they throw all that money they have sitting spare in the salary cap at Boyd to get him a year earlier when Griff demanded a trade to GWS, get ready to lose more Prelims'

More accurate description would be Bruce, McCartin and Billings

far too early to call what will be better

you keep thinking that......

incidentally, how is your new 800K recruit coming along ?? Has he actually shown up on time anywhere yet ?

you keep thinking that......

incidentally, how is your new 800K recruit coming along ?? Has he actually shown up on time anywhere yet ?

yeh plenty of times.. why?

last time i check he wasnt on anywhere near 800k, numbers were around 500-600k and that was before his contract was re-written. i'd say he'd be on somewhere between 400-500k now. but dont let the truth get in the way of a good story

Back