Strategy What has changed with a new coaching staff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
OK. Maybe this is a bit early to call but 4 games in have we seen any changes in our team?

I think our game plan has been adjusted slightly. We are trying to be more aggressive on the rebound bringing the ball through the corridor and playing on as much as possible.

I am not sure if anything has changed regarding personnel selections.

Our skills are marginally better but thats not hard to improve on from last year.

NN is still not right. Makes me wonder what they did when he rested from round 16 last year.

Thoughts?

Well the new coaching staff showed their lack of experience on the weekend. They were not able to combat the Geelong FC in any way. Completely out coached on all levels. Having a mass exodus of coaches was always going to cause problems.

Hopefully Simpson is held to account for hiring his North Melbourne team mates, creating a boys club. I would hope some of the power Simpson is wielding is dulled over the next season.

WAY to early to tell....players take time to adjust to a game plan and i would be stumped if they got it right after 4 rounds...

Simmo has stated a few times he has been un-happy with some parts of the game where they fell to their old ways.

I am liking what i see in patches but i think by round 15-16 you will see the change.

WAY to early to tell....players take time to adjust to a game plan and i would be stumped if they got it right after 4 rounds...

Simmo has stated a few times he has been un-happy with some parts of the game where they fell to their old ways.

I am liking what i see in patches but i think by round 15-16 you will see the change.

He always looks so nervous in the press conferences. He comes across as a school boy who will cry if the criticism is too harsh. This isn't a good look for a head coach. Will be interesting to see how he copes. He's inherited a very gifted team and so far has not shown much.

Well the new coaching staff showed their lack of experience on the weekend. They were not able to combat the Geelong FC in any way. Completely out coached on all levels. Having a mass exodus of coaches was always going to cause problems.

Hopefully Simpson is held to account for hiring his North Melbourne team mates, creating a boys club. I would hope some of the power Simpson is wielding is dulled over the next season.

How'd Woosha go with his mates last year? ;)

Way too early to blame the new coach. During pre season we saw the players use the ball alot better, we've just struggled in the season proper and having 8 of our best out didnt help this week. We'll have to wait til the end of the season to make a better call on the coaching.

He always looks so nervous in the press conferences. He comes across as a school boy who will cry if the criticism is too harsh. This isn't a good look for a head coach. Will be interesting to see how he copes. He's inherited a very gifted team and so far has not shown much.

That gifted team that finished 13th last year? :D

That gifted team that finished 13th last year? :D

We saw a fully fit team in the opening two rounds and pre-season. The same fitness staff were employed under Worsfold.

Worsfold had to deal with enduring injuries for a few seasons. Simpson cops a few injuries and all of a sudden we witness one of the worst losses in WCE history. Simpson has got a lot to prove.

He will get better....only been a senior coach for 6 months.

We saw a fully fit team in the opening two rounds and pre-season. The same fitness staff were employed under Worsfold.

Worsfold had to deal with enduring injuries for a few seasons. Simpson cops a few injuries and all of a sudden we witness one of the worst losses in WCE history. Simpson has got a lot to prove.

Worsfold had the same results with an injured team and he had over 200 games coaching experience. Simpson has had 4 games and has done no worse. You've gone way too early on this imo and you seem to have an axe to grind against Simpson for some reason. We have at least seem some different ideas and set ups with Simpson rather than Hunter forward, Hunter back like we did from Woosh.

In terms of "personnel changes" We are going to have to wait a few more games. I'm sure Simpson is trying a few players out that he doesn't rate much. We will see the concrete team he likes a bit further on.

Worsfold had the same results with an injured team and he had over 200 games coaching experience. Simpson has had 4 games and has done no worse. You've gone way too early on this imo and you seem to have an axe to grind against Simpson for some reason. We have at least seem some different ideas and set ups with Simpson rather than Hunter forward, Hunter back like we did from Woosh.

The Hunter and Wirrpanda moves were back in 2005-2007 when West Coast were making grand finals and challenging for flags. I think results speak for themselves... Keeping the team constant with a minor change was what worked in that era.

Now, we come to Simpson who will throw everything out the window after quarter time if the team isn't functioning perfectly. Simpson is experimenting with the 3 ruckmen - this was already done by Worsfold and it didn't work. Surely Simpson can do some research. Darling will never play a full game in the forward line again and. His moves just come across as so amateurish. I don't mind Simpson but I really dislike how he went out and hired his North Melbourne team mates. Hire the best people for the job, not your friends. I would expect some upgrades on the coaching staff in the off season.

He will get better....only been a senior coach for 6 months.

Yes, that's fine and to be expected.
People saying Worsfold wouldn't have dealt with the game on the weekend are kidding themselves though. Had Worsfold been coaching, we would have been in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that's fine and to be expected.
People saying Worsfold wouldn't have dealt with the game on the weekend are kidding themselves though. Had Worsfold been coaching, we would have been in the game.

Come back to me once the year is over with how Simmo is going?

Seriously it sounds like you don't like Simmo and want Woosha back in.

To quote Ian Gunnar Dargie, turn it up. In terms of margin, it wasn't even in the top 25 worst losses in WCE history.

It will take the team a while to incorporate the new game plan, and it is way too early to call for Simmo's head IMO.

The Geelong game was always going to be near-on mission impossible this early into the season when the team has not had sufficient time to adapt to Simmo's game plan. This was compounded by the fact we had roughly 7 or so of our best players sitting out of the match. Geelong in Geelong, is most certainly one of the toughest assignment facing teams over the last few years. From memory, was it that only two teams have won over there in the last 45-ish matches? It was always going to be tough.

I think Simmo has a sound head on his shoulders. He acknowledges and understands our weakness, and is actively trying to implement game-day changes to combat our weaknesses with the resources he has. Thus far, we have performed at least on par in the first three rounds, while the result from the Geelong game was not a surprise at all to many, myself included. I think it is incredibly early in the season to be attacking the new coach, but I believe we have the right coach going forward. Good luck Simmo :thumbsu:

The Hunter and Wirrpanda moves were back in 2005-2007 when West Coast were making grand finals and challenging for flags. I think results speak for themselves... Keeping the team constant with a minor change was what worked in that era.

Now, we come to Simpson who will throw everything out the window after quarter time if the team isn't functioning perfectly. Simpson is experimenting with the 3 ruckmen - this was already done by Worsfold and it didn't work. Surely Simpson can do some research. Darling will never play a full game in the forward line again and. His moves just come across as so amateurish. I don't mind Simpson but I really dislike how he went out and hired his North Melbourne team mates. Hire the best people for the job, not your friends. I would expect some upgrades on the coaching staff in the off season.

Its called trying different things when the game isnt going your way-generally called a Plan B. I realise that being a fan of Wossha you might not recognize that as a PLan B is not something he had. ;)

So basically you are pissed that he hired people he knew and trusted? Which is what every new coach does, ala Hird & Bomber Thompson. Can you tell me who else was available at the time our board finally decided to sack our underperforming and obviously disinterested previous coach? The answer is that there was no-one left, so Simpson had to do the best he could to get the best people available, and people he trusted to perform the role. If you want to blame anyone for that, blame our board for saying Woosh had the job as long as he wanted it and not hiolding him accountable earlier.

Its called trying different things when the game isnt going your way-generally called a Plan B. I realise that being a fan of Wossha you might not recognize that as a PLan B is not something he had. ;)

During the third quarter I was calling for Simmo to swing Hunter forward.

Turn it up!

Woosha stuck to his guns, he rarely experimented with players-he would back them in till the death most times-something I respected but also hated

To quote Ian Gunnar Dargie, turn it up. In terms of margin, it wasn't even in the top 25 worst losses in WCE history.

What was it? The 26th worst?
He hired his mates and now he's created a perception of a boys club. The problem with boys clubs are it becomes very hard to sack a friend.

What was it? The 26th worst?
He hired his mates and now he's created a perception of a boys club. The problem with boys clubs are it becomes very hard to sack a friend.

You don't mind exaggerating do you. He's got one ex-North teammate as an assistant (Rawlings) and another as a development coach (Pratt). He's also added Don Pyke, Jaymie Graham, Adam Selwood to the coaching panel and promoted Hickmott, none of whom he had a previous relationship with as far as I'm aware.

I am not sure if anything has changed regarding personnel selections.

Sigh. You were just expecting Priddis dropped and it hasn't happened four rounds in. I think Hill being demoted to the seconds was certainly a change. Schofield, Butler and McGinnity also a fair way out of the side (in that it took a huge wave of injuries to see their way into the side).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back