What hours do you work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like the days of doing the typical 8 hour 9am-5pm day are over. Employers seem to be demanding more hours, compromising work/life balance.

What hours do you work?

9:00am to 5:00pm with an hour for lunch (IT Contractor).

Monday to Friday with paid weekend work when required.

One of my good mates does this.

It's a good roster and a pretty sweet gig when it's not 40 degrees with *sticks lighting bushfires each February.

I love the fact that he actually gets to sleep on night shift if there's nothing doing then get up and go when called upon. Such a sensible way of doing things.

Not working at the moment but as a rule like starting and finishing early. Hated afternoon shift which was 3-11. Preferred night shift srs
I'm the opposite, prefer a later start and finish. I'm not a morning person.

One of my old high school teachers used to tell us:
"In this world there are owls and there are fowls".
I'm definitely an owl.

Yeah but it sounds like there's a lot of depressed office workers here who count down every painful minute at the desk. Just as well bigfooty is here to keep em all mildly entertained all day.
Keep in mind that some companies block access to forums and social sites such as BF, in which case you have to resort to using your phone and chewing up your data plan.

Running my own business so it's really up to me when I want to work. You can also divide my work into paid work and unpaid work. The unpaid work is what I enjoy most and that is writing my own software and/or web apps. Hopefully there will be a pay off down the track. My ideas list is is now at 3 A4 pages long. I have too many ideas and not enough time. Some of these are with the aim of making some $$$, some aren't, some are probably already out there that others have done, and a lot won't get acted upon at all.

Unfortunately money is required so i pump out about 25 hours of paid work a week. The hours are very flexible. Sometimes I'll get on a roll and go till 2-3am and sleep to midday. As long as I can be contacted between 9am and 5pm then all is good. Sucks when you've had 4 hours sleep and hear Skype ringing at 9am but you just suck it up. I've cut the hours right down to about 10 a week through February and I won't pick it back to April, as I want to to finish a few things from above, and also get the groundwork on a few others started.

Come April I'm going to have to make the call whether I: a) take something I've written from the ground and see what can come off it. this is risky, but its the fun option; b) go out and get some more clients. it's a small ball ache getting them, and a big ball ache dealing with them, but every hour I bill all goes to me; or c) go out and get a full time job. the monotony of working 9-5 and working whilst making some other campaigner rich does my head in.

Hopefully it'll be a combo of (a) and (b). Problem with (c) is you just can't do enough of your own stuff. I could look for part time work but there are **** all part time IT jobs, and part-time wage isn't too crash hot.
Sounds awesome. Good luck with it.

One of my good mates does this.

It's a good roster and a pretty sweet gig when it's not 40 degrees with ****sticks lighting bushfires each February.

I love the fact that he actually gets to sleep on night shift if there's nothing doing then get up and go when called upon. Such a sensible way of doing things.

Overall it's pretty good, plays havoc with your sleep patterns though.

Physically isn't the best on the body though, feel about 10 years older than what I actually am some days!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 hours each way. It's depressing but you get used to it.

Holy crap, you deserve a medal!!! I think one hour each way is far too much. But I hate driving..

Wish I could walk to work like ioppolo , have sometimes considered applying to more local schools in my area, but haven't seriously made a go at it or anything (yet).

Holy crap, you deserve a medal!!! I think one hour each way is far too much. But I hate driving..

Wish I could walk to work like ioppolo , have sometimes considered applying to more local schools in my area, but haven't seriously made a go at it or anything (yet).

Most the time I'm lucky weather wise but those 40degree days (which I handle pretty well tbh) or those rainy days....they can be a bitch.

20min bike ride
old commute was a 30min drive, was so depressing, hate driving to work

As much as I agree, Driving to work >>>> PT.

My workmate worked at The Herald Sun for 10+ years in Southbank. Oh the horror stories she had re. the train network.

If I worked in my local area, I'd combine driving, biking and walking, depending on mood and weather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back