Preview What I'd like to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah?

I actually don't...

While Lyon is risk averse, I actually think we'll change things up due to necessity
What necessity though? He said this at the start of the year:

I never really understand depth. It gets bandied about a bit . I know that the best indicator of success is having your best players available consistently. Everyone bangs on about depth but as soon as you get injuries it becomes ‘well we haven’t got him playing’. We are no different. You need your best players out there.
I just don't see him dropping 25-26 year old 100+ gamers for sub-10 game youth.

What necessity though? He said this at the start of the year:

I just don't see him dropping 25-26 year old 100+ gamers for sub-10 game youth.

The necessity is the obvious fact that we're not good enough.

Duffield has been punted, Crowley punted.

If the draft wasn't weak I'd expect more to go.
And I don't expect it all at once.
We could easily keep Suban in, for instance, while rotating Weller, Langdon, Blakely and Grey through

• Ballas to not get suspended
  • Pav to be playing
  • Mayne to find his radar
  • DeBoer to become Crowley
  • One of Tabs or Apeshit to step up
  • We get back our irresistable killer instinct
  • Clarke to own his spot
  • Kids to get a regular crack at it
  • 4 quarter efforts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Pav plays on...

#22 Collins
#35 Adams (need to strike early but not at 22)
#61 Yarran
DFA Shaw
PSD Kerstan (still out of contract so better than nothing at all)

Rookie #16 Midfield depth
Rookie # 34 Deluca

Happy to carry an extra forward for a season. Pavlich, Sandilands, Hannath and maybe Clarke won't be at freo in 2017. Apeness and Shaw are decent last resort ruck depth.

Langdon, Weller, Grey, Hughes, Apeness and Blakely played as much as possible i.e. form and injury permitted, so too our draftees this year.

Mundy at half back.

To everyone saying draft a forward.
I would prefer our recruiters to draft a key defender (National draft or Rookie Draft) and play A Pearce as a key forward. He was drafted as a key forward and showed a lot in his time up the ground this year.
The reason for this is I feel it provides a more ready-made solution to our forward line problems, a first year key-forward wont do anything unless you draft Jesse Hogan, which isn't going to happen.
We also have better depth down back with Dawson, Johnson, Silvagni and Smith down there, however as A Pearce would have likely played most of the year as a defender we should look at drafting someone similar to A Pearce when he was drafted (Physically great and talented but for whatever reason cant dominate the u18's comp). Whatever happens at the draft I have full confidence in our recruiters (its hard to find some in the 20-30 range who hasn't turned out well at freo in the past 6-7 years).

That was obvious in the second half of the year and nothing was done.
I don't want to be overly pessimistic but lets just say I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is any (unforced) changes from the preliminary final side other than Bennell in and even that will depend on Harley "buying in" sufficiently.

Ideally I hope we draft Bootsma and use him and Tanner along with Silvagni as tall backs and play Alex Pearce at CHF. Alex is pretty much the best 195+ on our list and although its obvious he'll make a sterling backman I think he has the quality to make a go of it as a forward. Back in our defensive systems to keep the scoring down against us and use cannon fodder down there as much as possible. Bootsma to deliver quality long kicking out of the back half and get Sutcliffe running off half back again.

A Pearce and Fyfe as forwards with Walters, Balla, Harley alongside. Weller in from round 1. Grey to play the shutdown role on the likes of Betts, Wingard etc in the back half. Langdon and Blakely introduced asap. Blakely especially to be groomed in Fyfe's inside role to complement Neale at clearances. Blakely is a genius in tight. Weller making 80M plays on the Subi wings and kicking it inside 50.

Duffield has been punted, Crowley punted.

If the draft wasn't weak I'd expect more to go.
And I don't expect it all at once.
We could easily keep Suban in, for instance, while rotating Weller, Langdon, Blakely and Grey through
That's been apparent for a few years. I've said this a bit, but we've had fewer changes from our ideal best 22 in 2012/13 than Hawthorn did. We've done very well to give up no quality in that time (only McPhee left the list from the best 22 since 2012) while Hawks traded out players and lost Buddy.

Ross Lyon would really have to break his own mould. He's never fielded a side younger than the 2010 premiership side.

That's been apparent for a few years. I've said this a bit, but we've had fewer changes from our ideal best 22 in 2012/13 than Hawthorn did. We've done very well to give up no quality in that time (only McPhee left the list from the best 22 since 2012) while Hawks traded out players and lost Buddy.

Ross Lyon would really have to break his own mould. He's never fielded a side younger than the 2010 or 2008 premiership sides.

I don't think he has a choice now..
We must regenerate

Ross Lyon would really have to break his own mould. He's never fielded a side younger than the 2010 or 2008 premiership sides.

I could be niave but I'm confident that Ross realises that he didn't give our better youngsters enough opportunities this year and he'll finally change his ways. Heard that he personally apologised to a few of the youngsters post season.

I don't think he has a choice now..
We must regenerate
He always has a choice. He'll see it in his best interests to keep winning games in the short term IMO.
I could be niave but I'm confident that Ross realises that he didn't give our better youngsters enough opportunities this year and he'll finally change his ways. Heard that he personally apologised to a few of the youngsters post season.
I'll believe it when I see it.

He always has a choice. He'll see it in his best interests to keep winning games in the short term IMO.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't see the two as incompatible.

Bennell comes in.
I could easily see DeBoer playing the Suban role, and a mix of Weller, Langdon, Grey and Blakely taking the Mzungu/Suban positions.
Would also have no issue with Crozier getting first crack at Mayne's position

I don't see the two as incompatible.

Bennell comes in.
I could easily see DeBoer playing the Suban role, and a mix of Weller, Langdon, Grey and Blakely taking the Mzungu/Suban positions.
Would also have no issue with Crozier getting first crack at Mayne's position
I reckon Mayne, Suban, De Boer and Mzungu will play more games individually than Weller, Langdon, Grey and Blakely.

Langdon, Weller, Grey, Hughes, Apeness and Blakely played as much as possible i.e. form and injury permitted, so too our draftees this year.

Mundy at half back.
Hills as well some time at half back. I see us the most dangerous when our star mid move around their position.

I reckon Mayne, Suban, De Boer and Mzungu will play more games individually than Weller, Langdon, Grey and Blakely.

They may, but if Weller Langdon, Grey and Blakely are hitting ten games each that's a progression.
Bennell gives us maximum flexibility even with a missing KPF.

Fyfe can play half forward and rotate, Hill can play off half back and Weller/Langdon can run off the wing.
Fyfe can play middle and Bennell off half forward. Fyfe can play Forward, Bennell into the middle and Blakely rotates.
Grey can play the Suban blocking role, he has the physique and the aptitude for it. He can also play De Boer's defensive HF role
It's an interesting year we have coming up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back