What should the Showdown cup and medal be called ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the showdown cup and medal do not have a game what should they be called:

So far suggestions I have heard are:
======================================================
The Blight/Cahill cup (coaches of first showdown)

the Cornes/Cahill cup (both clubs inagural coaches)
... not sure if Crows supporters would be too keen on this one, given that going forward, in all likelyhood and Cornes football dynasty would be affiliated with Port, as is Cahill.

However it would represent two things:
- the inaguaral coaches of both sides
- the coaches who coached in the ultimate SANFL grandfinal (last SANFL grand final before AFL took over)

Other options would be to name it after an SA football icon, not necessarially closely related to the two sides but recognizing the origins of the cup ...

Names of the top of my head (Kerley, Robran, Ebert)

any thoughts .....

Personally I would go for the Cornes/Cahill cup, and maybe the Kerley ??medal but realise that the crows would not go for it (as described above). I do like the idea of the medal having its own name.

It doesn't really matter, the showdown will always be the showdown. I don't think that Cornes' name should be on the cup, he never did anything great for the Crows to warrant it.

What about the Bickley/Wanganeen Cup or the Wanganeen/Bickley Cup.

Both Captains in the first showdown. Both great players.

I don't think they need past players/coaches names associated to the medals. Simply call them the Showdown Cup and Showdown Medal and in time this will be prestige enough. (in this town anyway)

crowie said:
It doesn't really matter, the showdown will always be the showdown. I don't think that Cornes' name should be on the cup, he never did anything great for the Crows to warrant it.

What about the Bickley/Wanganeen Cup or the Wanganeen/Bickley Cup.

Both Captains in the first showdown. Both great players.

Dont like the idea of current players being on it......

but if its named after a current player ....... ... (as heard on the radio last night 5AA) quote -> "Call it the Josh Francou medal, everytime he plays he wins it, so may as well name it after him".

I was about to say it should be the Francou medal.

Showdown Cup is fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The judges for the medal will consist of Mark Bickley (Channel 9), Ken Cunningham (FiveAA), Jesper Fjeldstad (The Sunday Mail), David Pittman (Triple M), Michelangelo Rucci (The Advertiser), Dwayne Russell (Channel 9) and Peter Walsh (ABC Radio).

looks like johncock could be a chance :rolleyes:

captain ebert said:
The judges for the medal will consist of Mark Bickley (Channel 9), Ken Cunningham (FiveAA), Jesper Fjeldstad (The Sunday Mail), David Pittman (Triple M), Michelangelo Rucci (The Advertiser), Dwayne Russell (Channel 9) and Peter Walsh (ABC Radio).

looks like johncock could be a chance :rolleyes:
I was just about to post the same thing.

captain ebert said:
The club’s have agreed to settle simply on the names Showdown Trophy and Showdown Medal.

common sense prevails.

Sanity yes, but I'm suprised that the Crows accepted it - well done to them.

captain ebert said:
The club’s have agreed to settle simply on the names Showdown Trophy and Showdown Medal.

common sense prevails.
Hmmm.
Looks like the 'Powerstufff Trophy' and the 'Powerstufff Medal' didn't make it then :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back