Whatever happened to "In Ken we trust"?

Remove this Banner Ad

But if Ken is at fault they must be at fault...see.
In a world with no shades of grey perhaps. Kens appointment was and is agood one. Ken is letting the club down at this point. Has credits though and should be backed in. At least for the time being. I think Raman said it best. Dip year, ride it out.

In a world with no shades of grey perhaps. Kens appointment was and is agood one. Ken is letting the club down at this point. Has credits though and should be backed in. At least for the time being. I think Raman said it best. Dip year, ride it out.
I know that's what I said too, I think you have crossed my reply to someone attacking Hinkley and confused it as an attack on the board...which it certainly wasn't.

I couldn't help but notice we are still employing that straight line huddle in the forward line.

Stolen straight from Mick Malthouse's playbook. That was Micks only forward structure when he played us in round 1 last year.

Last edited:
Love Kenny g love his attitude towards the game and he has done a hell of a lot of good work for our club he has a lot of brownie points. However at the moment I can't get my head around the game plan he wants us to play, only time will tell I Spose. I still trust in ken

I bet a few Brisbane fans were doubting Leigh Matthews in 2001 when they were sitting at 3-6 after 9 games. Of course, history shows that the Lions won their last 16 games to pinch the premiership from Essendon. I'm not suggesting that we'll perform a miracle like that, but I'm simply highlighting that there's 14 games left, and anything can happen.

I bet a few Brisbane fans were doubting Leigh Matthews in 2001 when they were sitting at 3-6 after 9 games. Of course, history shows that the Lions won their last 16 games to pinch the premiership from Essendon. I'm not suggesting that we'll perform a miracle like that, but I'm simply highlighting that there's 14 games left, and anything can happen.
Yeah look I know this is a fairly simple and very optimistic view, but I dig it. We went from straight up embarrasing Hawthorn in a single quarter to insipid losses to Brisbane and Richmond.

It's not as bad or good as it seems.

Yeah look I know this is a fairly simple and very optimistic view, but I dig it. We went from straight up embarrasing Hawthorn in a single quarter to insipid losses to Brisbane and Richmond.

Amazing, isn't it? But it CAN be turned around.

It's always somewhere in the middle, man.

Did you guys listen to ken on radio he was upfront and honest in the assessment of what our problems and I think he is right. We screamed for a tall forward last year and now we have it but we are lacking in confidence which is hurting our game as ken said we are half a second off our decision making and it is costing us. All this talk of our game plan has changed is rubbish, players pushed up the ground last year and left no one in our forward line but due to our confidence we hit targets to get out, simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you guys listen to ken on radio he was upfront and honest in the assessment of what our problems and I think he is right. We screamed for a tall forward last year and now we have it but we are lacking in confidence which is hurting our game as ken said we are half a second off our decision making and it is costing us. All this talk of our game plan has changed is rubbish, players pushed up the ground last year and left no one in our forward line but due to our confidence we hit targets to get out, simple.

No we didnt scream for a tall forward line - at least I didnt. I screamed for at least 2 genuine KFP's, not 2 talls in Westhoff and Ryder, there is a differenece. I also screamed for a second ruck to help out Lobbe and to improve our general ruck depth.

I actually wrote "a tall forward" so we are talking about the same thing and Ryder gave us the ruck option as well.

I actually wrote "a tall forward" so we are talking about the same thing and Ryder gave us the ruck option as well.

No we arent. If we have 2 proper KPF's then we dont need Westhoff and/or Ryder playing regularly in the forward line. There is a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talking about lack of confidence should look at the facts:
L v Freo - should have beaten the 2015 premiers - team played well with serious 'underdone' player issues
L v Sydney - smashed by a 'harder' team who turned up to play -
W v Roos - unbelievable hard running game - we won against probable top four side
W v Hawthorn - we played arguably the most brilliant qtr in our history - faded badly - a win against potential top 2 - signs of structure problems with conceding inside 50s
W v Crow - beat an in form side - but again - signs of structural/game plan weakness
L v West Coast - we were coasting towards a win at half time - lazy effort - almost pulled off a win
L v Brisbane - beaten by a better structured and hungrier team -
L v Richmond - basically 'as above'

There is no signs of lacking confidence in the first 6.5 games. Something changed regarding the Hawthorn narrow win.
We decided to concentrate on team defence as if it is some form of magic mantra.
We need to go back and concentrate on creating scoring opportunities. The 72 inside 50s Hawthorn achieved somehow changed how we go about things.

It reminds me of the 2013 final against Geelong - Kenny panicked and decided to go too defensive - we lost.

No we arent. If we have 2 proper KPF's then we dont need Westhoff and/or Ryder playing regularly in the forward line. There is a difference.

There are 22 positions, and you want us to play three genuine KPFs in Schulz plus your two new KPF, Westhoff, Ryder AND Lobbe? That's 6 players. Then you add our defence of Trengove, Hombsch, Carlile, Jonas, Pittard, Broadbent and Impey - that's six.

I want to know who of Monfries, Wingard, Gray, Boak, Wines, Polec, Hartlett or White you would have left out to play your system. Because there would only be six positions left, one as sub, and there are eight players remaining.

And if I read you wrong, and you are including Schulz in your two KPFs, that means you have to drop one of them.

There are 22 positions, and you want us to play three genuine KPFs in Schulz plus your two new KPF, Westhoff, Ryder AND Lobbe? That's 6 players. Then you add our defence of Trengove, Hombsch, Carlile, Jonas, Pittard, Broadbent and Impey - that's six.

I want to know who of Monfries, Wingard, Gray, Boak, Wines, Polec, Hartlett or White you would have left out to play your system. Because there would only be six positions left, one as sub, and there are eight players remaining.

And if I read you wrong, and you are including Schulz in your two KPFs, that means you have to drop one of them.

You have to take your blinkers off and take your feet out of the concrete. Tell me which side since 1858 be it 18,19,20,21 or 22 sided teams has gone through a 22 game season and a side has never made a change or never got injuries or players have never had form slumps??

Where is it set in stone that the best 22 is the same best 22 week in week out?

What about horses for courses and match ups?? I wouldnt play Ryder and Lobbe in the same team at Docklands unless there is a critical match up issue. History proves you need speed there. So it might mean Jonas and White dont play there given their form at the moment and its obvious to my eyes they are carrying injuries.

Ryder and Lobbe might play 16 games each, 10 together and 6 as the sole ruckman each. I would always play 2 against Sandilands anywhere and Goldstein at Adelaide Oval. What's is the likelihood that 2 ruckman go through a whole season uninjured?? I cant remember it happening for Port, even in 2005 when we were trying to juggle 3, there were injuries and the biggest was Primus doing his ACL in Rd 22.

If there is one thing that should be seared on the memory banks of any Port supporter who lived thru 2001-2004 period, it is that you dont ever go into September with all your best 22 players available. There are always injuries.

Westhoff gets dropped if he isnt kicking goals or setting them up and isnt needed on the wing or at CHB. Simple in my mind as his main reason for being in the team is getting goals. I would like a Roughead type KFP, be it the 2015 version or 2009-2011 type version and Schulz to be our other KFP. Westhoff isnt a KFP in my definition. So I would play those two as my main KFP and Westhoff has to fit in - ie he is not an automatic selection week in week out.

Westhoff and Schulz have no real pressure on them for spots at the moment. That's why they can have a string of rubbish performances and still get picked. If Schulz has a bung ankle and he is being jabbed up and that's why he missing goals from 12m out, then another KPF means he doesnt play and between Westhoff and Ryder we manufacture support for this other KPF when Schulz is out. An extra KPF means Westhoff or Ryder can play CHB when Trengove goes down for his annual 5-8 week injury. Total Football

Same with ever other player. Jonas and White need a rest, but because of our perilous position on the ladder we wont give them one. Monfries is close to 30, you can manage him thru the season. Broadbent looks like he isnt set in stone. Impey the same, but once again you bring him in for certain match ups, against Freo to cover one of Ballantyne or Walters and event though he has been beaten by him he is our best option against Betts. Pittard is doing well but he isnt set in stone either. Rick last year or 2013 had a sook in one of the podcasts when most of us wanted him dropped at one stage and asked what will he learn in the SANFL?

My answer is plenty. No better example than Ken Hinkley. In 1990 he was struggling as a half forward. Blight drops him to the reserves and he plays half back flank for the first time. He gets 50 disposals and Blight asked him what did he learnt from playing in the B's. Ken's answer was that he never wants to play there again, goes to HBF permanently, makes the All Oz side in 1991 and 1992, plays for Victoria across HBF and wins a B&F. Blght said that Ken's response both with his actions and his answer to his question, changed the way he coached. Ken should remember those lessons from 25 years ago and not be scared to drop under performing name players. Give them the same sort of wake up call that he received back then.

In Ken we trust :)

Just need to make sure there is a fridge full of Coke Zero in the coaches box on game day.
Ken said during the week that he loves this group and has faith in the players and we have a few things to sort out...
Well in the second quarter they did sort it out, and lets hope it stays that way b geez

Remove this Banner Ad

Back