Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gambler

It was an enjoyable watch, being a punter helped me get into it I think. Some of the dialogue was quite full-on and the intellectual s**t seemed to be spoken fast and I struggled a bit to keep up.

Overall though,
this campaigner just didn't learn any lessons, did he? I mean he *s his mum over for the money and that is completely forgotten, right up until the end he gambles, it comes off and then supposedly (if we believe the uplifting music and his "breaking free" running at the end) he is a changed man and off he goes to root the student. I mean, * off the movie can't end there - he's gonna * up again very soon and * more people over. I didn't buy it. MAYBE the fact that this was the first time he paid a debt off - meant he was changed - but I'm just not convinced. Again, that last roulette spin was one of the few times he showed a bit of fear/emotion whilst gambling - maybe that meant something - like this was the ultimate "last roll of the dice".

But I can't help thinking that the end of this movie was simply an arbitrary point in time that happened to be a peak among many peaks and troughs of a problem gambler, and we as the audience have been cheated out of seeing what happens to him afterward when he *s up even more and falls even further.

2.5 Stars

The Judge

Robert Downey Jn is simply brilliant in this role but the stand out was Robert Duvall was amazing. Was not sure what to expect at the begging of this movie but within 10 minutes, I was captivated and engrossed by the story line and needed to find out the outcome of the movie.

8.5 out of 10.
I watched this today. I agree with your rating, maybe 8/10. Good movie with superb performances from Downey Jr and Duvall. I thought Billy Bob Thornton was very solid as the prosecutor too.

I'm surprised it flopped at the box office and has a relatively poor score on Rotten Tomatoes.

I watched this today. I agree with your rating, maybe 8/10. Good movie with superb performances from Downey Jr and Duvall. I thought Billy Bob Thornton was very solid as the prosecutor too.

I'm surprised it flopped at the box office and has a relatively poor score on Rotten Tomatoes.
It was solid but was kind of lacking something for me.

The Imitation Game: 9/10

Was tossing about between this and 'Fury' for my Sunday evening war flick. I'll give Fury a look later in the week but I can't see it topping this. Excellent from start to finish. No real flat spots.

Mr Baseball [1992].

Tom Selleck is the ageing bigshot baseball player traded to Japan, hijinks ensue, people grow. I give it 6 moustaches out of 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Tails. Film about an all African-American Air Force squadron in WW2. A big disappointment, had George Lucas' grubby hands all over it. Definitely a good story/movie in there somewhere, but this was no nuance in the storytelling. Should've been 30 mins shorter. David Oyelowo put in - good performance though. Wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to make a better version of this sometime. 5/10

just watched it. I reckon it was pretty good as well.

A little cheesy perhaps, but as you say, good actors.

7.5/10

Had a bit of a movie day yesterday - watched Foxcatcher and Birdman. I'd been living under a rock so hadn't heard much about either of these movies (hadn't heard of Foxcatcher at all) so had no idea what to expect or where either story was going to go.

Steve Carell was outright creepy in Foxcatcher and I actually quite enjoyed the whole movie. Didn't see the end coming

The first 5 minutes of Birdman I spent marvelling at the quality of the cast (like I said I'd been living under a rock) and then was intrigued at just where it was going. Again was a good movie and I enjoyed it

Red Tails. Film about an all African-American Air Force squadron in WW2. A big disappointment, had George Lucas' grubby hands all over it. Definitely a good story/movie in there somewhere, but this was no nuance in the storytelling. Should've been 30 mins shorter. David Oyelowo put in - good performance though. Wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to make a better version of this sometime. 5/10

See "The Tuskegee Airmen" 1995 HBO film on the same subject. Bit cheesy in parts but great cast including Laurence Fishburne, Courtney B Vance and one of my real favs, Andre Braugher. Still remember the scene a group of white bomber pilots go with presents to thank the fighter pilots who saved their bacon. Ill go no further but I found it quite powerful.

The Little Death - very good Aussie film written and directed by Josh Lawson. Some great dialogue, funny in some parts and surprising in others. Hadn't heard of it going in, but it was a good film. 4/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back