When you build sans foundations....

Remove this Banner Ad

wonder if karmichael has hired a bodyguard - sounds like he named his dealer in his 'confession'...

anyways, any chance the AFL could choose to wind up the club? go back to 17 teams?
No a 9th game is a vital part of the tv contract and vital to growth in the next contract. Literally 9 figure amounts at stake.

No a 9th game is a vital part of the tv contract and vital to growth in the next contract. Literally 9 figure amounts at stake.
hmmm
so you think they could do a 'quick quick lets get Tassie up and running ' to preserve the 18th team? that would be easiest place to start one up in like 6 months time?!? or WA3...

I feel the solution to this problem is staring us all in the face but we are all afraid to embrace it.

Gary look at it as taking the holy sacrament and join in.

To those saying that the GC Chargers and South Queensland Crushers were unviable, they weren't. They were both financially solvent. They were just forcibly removed by the NRL when News Gained control to protect the News Corp Broncos SEQ monopoly.

I'm sorry lost here, it's a 'cultural issue' if a club has Christian players? Recreational drugs is a massive and complicated issue, although surely this type of thing isn't unique to the Gold Coast. Religious players is not a 'cultural problem'. This is not simply about a divided change room, the tone of that article is insinuating that football players being Christian as a problem for a club. Imagine if I made a thread on BigFooty with a picture of Houli (who is fasting for Ramadan) and a picture of Dustin Martin (who allegedly likes to party) and said look at the cultural issues at the Tigers. The thread would be shut down in an instant and I'd perhaps get an infraction.

I'm sorry lost here, it's a 'cultural issue' if a club has Christian players? Recreational drugs is a massive and complicated issue, although surely this type of thing isn't unique to the Gold Coast. Religious players is not a 'cultural problem'. This is not simply about a divided change room, the tone of that article is insinuating that football players being Christian as a problem for a club. Imagine if I made a thread on BigFooty with a picture of Houli (who is fasting for Ramadan) and a picture of Dustin Martin (who allegedly likes to party) and said look at the cultural issues at the Tigers. The thread would be shut down in an instant and I'd perhaps get an infraction.
Clubs have an issue if any group of players form cliques, regardless of whether it seems harmless in and of itself. If the Christian players are separating themselves from the rest of the group, it's divisive.

Clubs have an issue if any group of players form cliques, regardless of whether it seems harmless in and of itself. If the Christian players are separating themselves from the rest of the group, it's divisive.

See I don't think so. I don't think everyone at a club needs to be ideologically aligned. A "clique" of gays in a footy club who were separated themselves a bit from the rest of "the boys" would undoutbly not be a "cultural problem", nor would a "clique" in the team who got together to practice buddhism and the rest of the team didn't care for it. The hard truth is that people on't like it because it's Christianity. Read a couple of comments and you hear "God Squad", "Jesus Freaks", God Botherers" etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I don't think so. I don't think everyone at a club needs to be ideologically aligned. A "clique" of gays in a footy club who were separated themselves a bit from the rest of "the boys" would undoutbly not be a "cultural problem", nor would a "clique" in the team who got together to practice buddhism and the rest of the team didn't care for it. The hard truth is that people on't like it because it's Christianity. Read a couple of comments and you hear "God Squad", "Jesus Freaks", God Botherers" etc

I am guessing you are religious?

One can only assume that the division is less about a couple of Christians spending time together and more about a genuine divide with teammates. If a group of Christians in any club hung out together outside the club, but worked well with all players, then it wouldn't be a problem. I think this is a problem specific to Gold Coast, not to Christians.

One can only assume that the division is less about a couple of Christians spending time together and more about a genuine divide with teammates. If a group of Christians in any club hung out together outside the club, but worked well with all players, then it wouldn't be a problem. I think this is a problem specific to Gold Coast, not to Christians.

Well I think we actually agree.

Divided change room = cultural issue and can be really detrimental to a team's performance (I don't know if that's the case at Gold Coast, it may well be)
Christian players = not a problem at all and shouldn't be presented as one

It says a lot about the contempt with which Christians are treated in much of Australian society that for a signficant group of people to be openly Christian at GC is presented as a cultural problem.

I agree Christianity does it very tough in Australian society.

Bluey was a defensive minded coach who's team struggled to find ways of attacking, Eade is playing defensively as well and they struggle to attack. They also have Primus as midfield coach who was very defensive minded at Port. The wrong football tactics and mentality have been drilled into this young side for a few years now, it's easy to see what the problem is.

It's not a drug, party or lifestyle problem, Eagles in mid-2000's didn't have a problem performing well with the culture they had! Few other teams can say the same thing I'm sure.
The problem comes from the top... but as they say, s**t flows downstream.

It's almost as if K. Hunt is this decades 'Ben Cousins' and has become a drug lord as well. If he had stayed at the NRL, he would be national captain, well captain before Knucklehead Gallon. Gives a new meaning to 'team camp'.

It's almost as if K. Hunt is this decades 'Ben Cousins' and has become a drug lord as well. If he had stayed at the NRL, he would be national captain, well captain before Knucklehead Gallon. Gives a new meaning to 'team camp'.
Both the AFL and NRL have players who run in to trouble.

The difference between the codes is that the majority of the best AFL players are clean skins. There's probably only a few (Franklin, Swan, Dustin Martin) who are truly elite AA quality who have had issues and often it's more rumours than proven.

If you compare that to state of origin where at least half of each team have had serious run ins with the law and you see the difference.

The AFL should've been more careful when doubling a league players salary and dropping him on the Gold Coast. Izzy Folau and GWS were a much better fit! Of course they were both a tremendous waste of time and money.

Well I think we actually agree.

Divided change room = cultural issue and can be really detrimental to a team's performance (I don't know if that's the case at Gold Coast, it may well be)
Christian players = not a problem at all and shouldn't be presented as one
We sort of agree; I don't think Christians are inherently a problem, but the Christians at Gold Coast appear to be a clique that is dividing the club. I can understand why they wouldn't want to hang around a bunch of party boys of K.Hunt's stories are true, but there needs to be a way for all sides to work together on the field and at training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back