When you build sans foundations....

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling that Gaz et al are the "American style" evangelical variety of Christians rather than the drunken Irish Catholic or Italian Catholic variety.

get it right, it is the drunken Irish Catholics and the Mafia style Italian Catholics ;)

It says a lot about the contempt with which Christians are treated in much of Australian society that for a signficant group of people to be openly Christian at GC is presented as a cultural problem.
It's funny because the people criticising Christians like Ablett and co for praying would dare open their mouths if it was a group of Muslims, Hindus, Jews etc praying.

Is anyone criticising Christians? Every club would have them and no one is criticising them. It's how a clique has manifested itself at one club. Bit too much sensitivity from a group that suffers no real discrimination (unlike Muslims practising their faith).

Is anyone criticising Christians? Every club would have them and no one is criticising them. It's how a clique has manifested itself at one club. Bit too much sensitivity from a group that suffers no real discrimination (unlike Muslims practising their faith).
Try practicing Catholicism in Syria or Pakistan or Nigera right about now.

But we're not talking about Catholicism in Syria, we are talking about Christianity in Australia. It's like arguing whites are oppressed in Australia because Zimbabwe.
I don't like talking about any religion.

Ever seen 2 little siblings fighting over who's imaginary friend is better?

That's 2 adults with different faiths.
But worse.

On the plus side the AFL has the balls to persevere.

The NRL went through the Seagulls and Giants from 1988 then a few other incarnations and even now the Gold Coast Titans are struggling. They just give up every time.
Some would argue it's a good thing the NRL administration don't meddle in their affairs of clubs (like the AFL does) but lets them sink or swim under their own volition. Maybe not the most cost effective way if doing things, but certainly the fairest.

The AFL are supposed to represent all the clubs, but what we mostly see is the AFL at war with the richest clubs and making up the rules to suit their own little pet lovechild clubs. What other sporting league administration in the world is so actively involved in the funding and running of some clubs in direct competition with other established clubs? Name one.

There is a strong whiff of corruption surrounding the AFL which can't be good for the game. Fans of the northern franchises take umbrage when it's suggested they receive AFL favouritism with rules, decision-making, umpiring & tribunal decisions, but you won't convince everyone south of the Murray River. And even if it's not the case and the Victorians are all just conspiracy theorists, the perception of AFL corruption is also bad for the game. (Like the perception of clubs tanking for draft picks. It didn't matter if any clubs were actually tanking. Just the public perception alone was bad for the game.)

The AFL should be more hands off and just let the competition sort itself out.

The modern day AFL is more like the WWE. It's all very stage-managed.

Last edited:

Depends what you mean by discrimination.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/go...rs-and-god-squad/story-fndv7pj3-1227419578277

Gold Coast lifestyle is like the Russian Winter....it's no military secret....

Yes, this is an Expansion Policy Criticism, not a poke specifically at the Suns. They are doing the best they can in a very difficult environment.

It's a clear example of the AFL thinking they can do best simply because they have dollars and perceive themselves to be the biggest - AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

What are you talking about? The AFL has gifted the Gold Coast several Premierships with their over-generous drafting policies.

Haven't you read Big Footy at all the last few years?

What other sporting league administration in the world is so actively involved in the funding and running of some clubs in direct competition with other established clubs? Name one.

The A-League.

You haven't noticed the FFA owned (at various stages) Adelaide, Newcastle United Jets, Western Sydney Warriors, Brisbane Roar, Sydney FC??? You'd be naive to think the A-League doesn't help out most of the clubs in the A-League - with the possible exceptions (now) of Melbourne Victory & Sydney FC.

On the plus side the AFL has the balls to persevere.

The NRL went through the Seagulls and Giants from 1988 then a few other incarnations and even now the Gold Coast Titans are struggling. They just give up every time.

It's got nothing to do with balls and all about agreements.

the NRL and A-league treated their GC franchises just like any other in their leagues. This was always they way they were going to operate. There wasn't an agreement with the rest of the league before hand that they'd divert money away from other areas to persist with it. They couldn't swim so they folded.

in contrast, the AFL are bankrolling the joint, as they are with the GWS, and all the clubs agreed to this prior both clubs introduction. you really wont find this situation in many professional leagues where the governing body and League will substantially prop up clubs for years on end with the existing clubs agreement.

the NRL and A-league treated their GC franchises just like any other in their leagues. This was always they way they were going to operate. There wasn't an agreement with the rest of the league before hand that they'd divert money away from other areas to persist with it. They couldn't swim so they folded.

in contrast, the AFL are bankrolling the joint, as they are with the GWS, and all the clubs agreed to this prior both clubs introduction. you really wont find this situation in many professional leagues where the governing body and League will substantially prop up clubs for years on end with the existing clubs agreement.

I disagree slightly, the Brisbane Broncos have a lot of pull, so were able to exert influence on the NSWRL at the time. Hence my comment is also wrong because the AFL do not have to stand up against anyone so mighty in QLD, all due respect to the Brisbane Lions. So in essence I guess I should have said it s a shame the NSWRL had not balls way back in 1988 cause if they did the Gold Coast Seagulls may be alive today as a 27 year old team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne storm?

I disagree slightly, the Brisbane Broncos have a lot of pull, so were able to exert influence on the NSWRL at the time. Hence my comment is also wrong because the AFL do not have to stand up against anyone so mighty in QLD, all due respect to the Brisbane Lions. So in essence I guess I should have said it s a shame the NSWRL had not balls way back in 1988 cause if they did the Gold Coast Seagulls may be alive today as a 27 year old team.

The Broncos are 65% owned by News Limited. They are mighty because they are owned by a media corporation which enjoys a media duopoly in Australia. Broadcasting, advertising, the success of the league itself....look no further for their corporate muscle than there. Can you IMAGINE the AFL if the Pies were similarly owned?

The Broncos are 65% owned by News Limited. They are mighty because they are owned by a media corporation which enjoys a media duopoly in Australia. Broadcasting, advertising, the success of the league itself....look no further for their corporate muscle than there. Can you IMAGINE the AFL if the Pies were similarly owned?

Correct. The next TV Rights deals - AFL, NRL, A-League and even the Big Bash will be very very interesting.

Personally - I advocate a 27 Round 25 Match AFL Home & Away season for several reasons related to these other competitors.

But I digress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back