Where are Port Adelaide at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most accurate post in this thread and it's all still applicable.

The fitness has dropped off because the run and spread is getting shut down in games by the opposition. The biggest fitness load that AFL players get in a given week is on matchday - and because opposition clubs have worked out that shutting down our run is how to beat us, Port players seem to just be taking the lazy option of not running when the space is shutdown, instead of working even harder to beat it. As a result, our running numbers are down on gameday. You can't just do additional running during the week to compensate because it hampers recovery and injury management - hence our fitness is waning. This isn't a crackpot theory, it's apparently been confirmed by the fitness department.

The other main issue is Hinkley seems to have no plan B.

Throw in some strange structures, a few untimely injuries, poor form and a tough fixture, and the clusterf*** that is 2015 is complete.

I'm confident we'll turn it around next year if they review things comprehensively over the pre-season.

Maybe. Although I do see some holes in the team.

Forwardline is decent, although it relies too much on Gray who is needed in the midfield. Westhoff and Schulz are a bit one dimensional, neither take that many pack marks and can be shut down. Westhoff drifts too much when he's not kicking goals. Schulz just kicks goals and does little else.

Backline isn't that great, Carlile, Hombsch and Trengove aren't bad, but they're not great. Small defenders are either limited or too attacking. Most top sides have an A-grader in defense and I don't think Port have one.

Midfield is too reliant on Gray to do his thing, you need more from Boak, Harlett, Polec, Ebert and Wines. The only guy I feel has given an elite performance this year out of those five is Wines.

Again, I think the biggest problem is getting all 22 players to perform well. Guys like O'Shea, White, Butcher, Mitchell and Jonas didn't have great games on the weekend. But Wingard and Gray were fantastic.

The other problem is that Port haven't really had access to elite talent over the past years. Have a look at their first year drafting:

2014: none
2013: none (Impey drafted)
2012: Wines
2011: Wingard
2010: Jacobs
2009: Butcher, Moore, Pittard
2008: Harlett
2007: Lobbe

From eight drafts they've got Hartlett, Wingard, Wines in terms of stars. That's it.

Both Brisbane and Carlton played very good footy in both those games. Two other teams who played their best footy for the season when they played Port was Geelong and the Tigers. We just like to bring the best out in other teams.

I think the Tigers might argue their best games were against Hawks and Freo.

Both Brisbane and Carlton played very good footy in both those games. Two other teams who played their best footy for the season when they played Port was Geelong and the Tigers. We just like to bring the best out in other teams.

Richmond's best game was against Fremantle and Hawthorn. As much as Richmond played well that day, they didn't score in the third quarter. So they weren't that good.

I think/hope we'll be better next year.

Really the first time under Ken Hinkley and Darren Burgess where things have gone horribly wrong. Too arrogant maybe. But they'll learn from this hopefully.

The other problem is that Port haven't really had access to elite talent over the past years. Have a look at their first year drafting:

From eight drafts they've got Hartlett, Wingard, Wines in terms of stars. That's it.

To be fair I think most Port supporters are happy with Polec and Ryder as opposed to a couple of crapshoot picks in the teens in 2013 and 2014.

Wouldn't call Hartlett a star. Goes missing to often imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back