Opinion Which club is Essendon's biggest rival?

Essendon's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand that macho tough guy act by Roughead. Lost all respect for him last year where he tried to knock Melksham on his ass then dived like a fairy princess at the slightest bit of contact.

Then to follow up chased Melksham and got ******* owned by a bloke 2 inches shorter and 20 kilos lighter than him.

I think the way I'd sum it up is this: historically speaking, if you look throughout the ages, there is one team that stands out above all for Essendon, and that is Carlton.

Essendon and Carlton have a unique way of spoiling each other's party, regularly. There are so many junctures in VFL/AFL history where this is borne out.

Who each individual fan hates the most, on the other hand, is often shaped by different factors; things like, who is currently good, when did they grow up, where did they grow up, and so on.

But, in the annals of Essendon history, there can be only one answer for who our biggest rival is, and that is Carlton.

I think you're forgetting a team, but perhaps their too irrelevant to bother with :D
Ignore Doss, keep on encouraging him :D

I think the way I'd sum it up is this: historically speaking, if you look throughout the ages, there is one team that stands out above all for Essendon, and that is Carlton.

Essendon and Carlton have a unique way of spoiling each other's party, regularly. There are so many junctures in VFL/AFL history where this is borne out.

Who each individual fan hates the most, on the other hand, is often shaped by different factors; things like, who is currently good, when did they grow up, where did they grow up, and so on.

But, in the annals of Essendon history, there can be only one answer for who our biggest rival is, and that is Carlton.
Yep this is pretty spot on. Up until 30 years ago it wasn't even open for debate. In the last 30 years there's become another contender though.

So historically, it is Carlton. Currently, I'm split between Hawthorn/Carlton.

I don't think the Essendon - Hawthorn rivalry is as strong, mostly due to Essendon's shitness the past 10 years. Whereas Carlton and Essendon have pretty much remained at a similar s**t standard.

How many spoons we collected?

**** Carlton, shitsmear on the AFL.

I don't think the Essendon - Hawthorn rivalry is as strong, mostly due to Essendon's shitness the past 10 years. Whereas Carlton and Essendon have pretty much remained at a similar s**t standard.
Yeah probably a fair viewpoint. Maybe I'm just swayed by the unspeakable arrogance and sense of entitlement their supporter base demonstrate (this perception may be skewed due to personal acquaintances of mine that support them). That and their bandwagoning, they don't tend to stick fat like we do. Like Richmond does. Like the pies do (although not so much recently).

Yeah probably a fair viewpoint. Maybe I'm just swayed by the unspeakable arrogance and sense of entitlement their supporter base demonstrate (this perception may be skewed due to personal acquaintances of mine that support them). That and their bandwagoning, they don't tend to stick fat like we do. Like Richmond does. Like the pies do (although not so much recently).
Carlton supporters have dropped off a cliff in the last few years. They also only have 7k more members than North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's worth remembering that, for all their success since 1961, they still possess a negative win/loss record.

Took them until 1957 to even make the finals. Their 33rd season in the VFL.

Weren't the Hawks initially known as the Mayflowers?

Hawthorn
Carlton
Collingwood

they're the main 3

Beating these three indicates a good season.

Hate Carlton & Sydney

Enjoy beating Collingwood but don't hate them

Enjoy beating Hawthorn but have respect for how they have gone from being a joke of a club to being successful over the past 40 years

North Melbourne are more obsessed with us

Richmond is just a club I like beating, respect their fans for sticking by the club in light of its lack of success

Hate Sydney and Carlton

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back