Bumped Who do you NOT want your club to draft? (2014 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to say Parish because of lack of size and Weiderman because of his injuries. Am i right bonc?

Hasn't stopped your username being elite, hasn't stopped a number of smallish mids being great players. Not everyone is going to be a 190cm tall bulking midfielder. Weiderman would be a Steinberg over Parker selection all over again though.

Hasn't stopped your username being elite, hasn't stopped a number of smallish mids being great players. Not everyone is going to be a 190cm tall bulking midfielder. Weiderman would be a Steinberg over Parker selection all over again though.

Absolutely right. I'm not saying size stops a player from being quality. Prime example is Lewis Taylor, drafted late 20's because clubs were wary of how short he was than goes out and wins the Rising Star. Kieran Lovell another out of this draft - just accumulates the footy in big numbers but its expected that he won't go until later second round at the earliest.

Why I said it with the example of Parish is that if it comes down to say Oliver or Francis V Parish for Essendon (which is a chance to happen) than they might prefer the bigger midfield body of Oliver that they know they can throw straight in.

Gaff's taken time, he was no Luke Parker from that 2010 draft. Was skinny as a rake early and tended to be more an outside player who struggled to shake a tag. Has come on strongly in seasons 4 and 5.

As for Weiderman well his a bit of an enigma. Has a number of quality traits but his injuries during 2015, endurance question marks and defensive pressure acts are holding him back from being a lock to Melbourne at 3. They could really do with a player like him at pick 3 as they've built a strong midfield and depth in that area through trades and past drafts but they will probabaly pass Sam up early and hope for him to be available at there second selection or miss him completely which would be a shame.

Absolutely right. I'm not saying size stops a player from being quality. Prime example is Lewis Taylor, drafted late 20's because clubs were wary of how short he was than goes out and wins the Rising Star. Kieran Lovell another out of this draft - just accumulates the footy in big numbers but its expected that he won't go until later second round at the earliest.

Why I said it with the example of Parish is that if it comes down to say Oliver or Francis V Parish for Essendon (which is a chance to happen) than they might prefer the bigger midfield body of Oliver that they know they can throw straight in.

Gaff's taken time, he was no Luke Parker from that 2010 draft. Was skinny as a rake early and tended to be more an outside player who struggled to shake a tag. Has come on strongly in seasons 4 and 5.

As for Weiderman well his a bit of an enigma. Has a number of quality traits but his injuries during 2015, endurance question marks and defensive pressure acts are holding him back from being a lock to Melbourne at 3. They could really do with a player like him at pick 3 as they've built a strong midfield and depth in that area through trades and past drafts but they will probabaly pass Sam up early and hope for him to be available at there second selection or miss him completely which would be a shame.

Ideally I think they would want Oliver, as he is a like for like replacement for Jobe Watson. However I feel Parish has been severely underrated on here in the last 2-3 months. Happens ever year, the best midfielder and everyone tries to find reasons as to why he won't make it, rather than focusing on his performances. Does he get clearances, yes. Can he accumulate, yes. Can he kick a goal if need be, yes. Perfect top 5 selection.

Both Sydney and West Coast would be thrilled with their 2010 draft. Everyone bagged WC, but they got it right, and Gaff is tougher than a lot of people think.

I just feel Weidman is a reach and a half as a top 5 pick. Top 10-15, yes. In a thin draft that is probably his range.

Y

You make very good points but im just fed up at players from interstate leaving us at the end of their contracts. I really think this draft its important to make sure we pick up lads from SA. The crows need a tall forward and a inside mid. matheison fits the inside mid role but he is a country lad and a family man that is close with his family and I think he will return home asap. Same goes with Harry McKay.. he looks the goods but its risky drafting Victorian boys.
Only hope is if they are single and they meet a nice Adelaide girl that is close to her mum and dad lol. Its easier for SA boys to move to melb than it is for vic boys to move to Adelaide.
Anyway in 8 hours time we will know!

Brisbane board these days tend to want the Vic Country guys more than the Metro ones as they seem to tend to want to go home less (I don't have figures to back that up at all). Interesting you think that way with Matheison. But I guess the family bit is hard to judge. But yes I do understand the want to draft the locals more

Brisbane board these days tend to want the Vic Country guys more than the Metro ones as they seem to tend to want to go home less (I don't have figures to back that up at all). Interesting you think that way with Matheison. But I guess the family bit is hard to judge. But yes I do understand the want to draft the locals more
They do want to leave a bit less but it still happens ala Dangerfield. Given that the majority of draftees DON'T come from outside Victoria, it's hard to avoid especially for the Northern clubs.

Same height as Joel Selwood, Nathan Jones and Gary Ablett, Height shouldn't worry.
Those guys all have elite traits, Parish is good at a lot of things but isn't elite in any. For example he does more things than Nathan Jones who doesn't have great speed or skill but makes up for it with hard balls and clearence work.

Some of Parish's all round game won't make it at the next level, some of his game will but what he does isn't elite

Those guys all have elite traits, Parish is good at a lot of things but isn't elite in any. For example he does more things than Nathan Jones who doesn't have great speed or skill but makes up for it with hard balls and clearence work.

Some of Parish's all round game won't make it at the next level, some of his game will but what he does isn't elite

He's played 0 games at elite level, Give the guy 2 years in the AFL system before making those claims IMO.

As an 18 year old about to be drafted he's done everything he possibly could to be in this position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played 0 games at elite level, Give the guy 2 years in the AFL system before making those claims IMO.

As an 18 year old about to be drafted he's done everything he possibly could to be in this position.
So has every player that wants to be drafted, they aren't all top 3 material. I still think Parish will be a decent player just don't think he'll be the player people are raving on about hence I'd rather Melbourne not take him. I prefer Oliver

Mitch brown at 24/25 is way to high. No need to waste a pick that high surely.
If Mckay, Himmlberg are gone then me may reach otherwise we wont get him and we really like him. Plus fair chance we dont rate the draft past 25 like many others. Depends whats available and how much we rate him.

It is unlikely but if no good talls a left then we are every chance of reaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back