Who do you think is the best captain in the AFL and why?

Who is the best captain in the AFL

• Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)

Votes: 220 39.6%
  • Joel Selwood (Geelong)

Votes: 69 12.4%
  • Gary Ablett (GC)

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)

Votes: 40 7.2%
  • Jobe Watson (Essendon)

Votes: 40 7.2%
  • Scott Pendelbury (Collingwood)

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Travis Boak (Port P)

Votes: 78 14.1%
  • Trent Cotchin (Richmond)

Votes: 10 1.8%
  • Mark Murphy (Carlton)

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Matthew Pavlich (Freo)

Votes: 36 6.5%
  • Nathan Jones (Melbourne)

Votes: 15 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Luke Hodge
2. Joel Selwood
3. Travis Boak
4. Gazz

The rest are good but I genuinely feel these 4 are a cut above.

In what regard?
I just really like the way he goes about everything (Again, the drug stuff aside, that is not his fault). I was playing footy, and had a choice of captains, he would be my number 1 pick. He wears his heart on his sleeve, he bleeds for his club and gets every last inch out of himself.

How I see it;

Hodge
Reiwoldt/Selwood/Pavlich

I know it's my team, but Nathan Jones is underrated a bit I think. If you were walking in to battle, he'd be up there just below the blokes I've listed as the best in my opinion.

I'd rather walk into a dark alley with Nathan Jones next to me than say, Scott Pendlebury or Jobe Watson - as great players as they are.

probably the Port Padelaide option..

I'd rather walk into a dark alley with Nathan Jones next to me than say, Scott Pendlebury or Jobe Watson - as great players as they are.

no homo..?

Jobe Watson.

He's softly spoken and respectful, but as hard as nails out on the field. He's put in an enormous amount of effort to get to the standard he's at. He's also led his side through a period of real adversity, moreso than any other captain has had to endure.

I have to mention Bob Murphy, though. He's not the captain yet, but he will be, and he'll be fantastic.

Hodge. For the obvious reason, but also because he would have been the only thing that might have stopped from me backing Clive in all the way.

Auskickers think he's pretty great too.

So tattoos are important criteria for you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So tattoos are important criteria for you?
Jones is undeniably a very good leader.

Melbourne's woes have not been for lack of effort from Jones. Has stood up in the face of huge adversity almost every week for the past three years.

Jones is undeniably a very good leader.

Melbourne's woes have not been for lack of effort from Jones. Has stood up in the face of huge adversity almost every week for the past three years.
Agreed. I think every club would love to have Jones. Should have been captain years ago

Most improved captains: Marc Murphy and Andrew Swallow. Both were pretty uninspiring when they started but both have improved dramatically as their captaincy has gone on.

vyi48wU.gif

gyw0AB8.gif

Jobe Watson.

He's softly spoken and respectful, but as hard as nails out on the field. He's put in an enormous amount of effort to get to the standard he's at. He's also led his side through a period of real adversity, moreso than any other captain has had to endure.

I have to mention Bob Murphy, though. He's not the captain yet, but he will be, and he'll be fantastic.
perhaps Jobe should have led his players towards the pub instead of leading them to an off site injection facillity a few years back :D

Joel Selwood by the breadth of Australia. That's why he is All Australian captain and International Rules captain. Then Hodge

Back