Who do you think is the best captain in the AFL and why?

Who is the best captain in the AFL

• Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)

Votes: 220 39.6%
  • Joel Selwood (Geelong)

Votes: 69 12.4%
  • Gary Ablett (GC)

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)

Votes: 40 7.2%
  • Jobe Watson (Essendon)

Votes: 40 7.2%
  • Scott Pendelbury (Collingwood)

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Travis Boak (Port P)

Votes: 78 14.1%
  • Trent Cotchin (Richmond)

Votes: 10 1.8%
  • Mark Murphy (Carlton)

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Matthew Pavlich (Freo)

Votes: 36 6.5%
  • Nathan Jones (Melbourne)

Votes: 15 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak is a born leader, and his captaincy over the last 2 years has been immense. However, the logical choice is Luke Hodge. Saying that, they are at the opposite ends of their respective 'reigns'. So it's pretty harsh on Boak to even make the comparison.

I would have loved to have voted for Boak, however it is always foolish to use emotion as the basis for one's opinions.

So another vote for Hodge*

* with honorable mentions to Riewoldt, Selwood and Boak.

Clearly the best player who is a captain is Ablett, but I don't think that's what this thread is about. Which captain brings most to their team? I suppose an argument can be made for every captain of every club.

The work done by both of our captains can never be underestimated. On field Callan Ward is an absolute inspiration. He lifts every player around him which is what you want. Phil Davis, to a lesser extent on field, but certainly off field and around the club, is also vitally important to our club's structure and the progression of our young list.

As much as I love the work of Hodge or Selwood, there are a number of other players at those clubs who could be captain and lead their team to success.

It's about reward for effort & getting our right dues....The fact Josh Gibson has still not a single All Australian to his name renders the Awards a joke!....The fact that Nick smith got a gig ahead of both Hodge & Burgoyne this year pretty much sums up the entire farce it has become under Healy!
Could not agree more the aa award is a joke. Gee you have a decent chip on your shoulder though. I pay your club a compliment and you have a dig at mine. For what it's worth to keep the thread in line I would say hodge as the best captain.

Could not agree more the aa award is a joke. Gee you have a decent chip on your shoulder though. I pay your club a compliment and you have a dig at mine. For what it's worth to keep the thread in line I would say hodge as the best captain.

He doesn't owe you a compliment.

However Nick Smith is more than deserving of his AA position in my opinion. He's the best small defender in the game.

Hodge. Even though he knifed Mitch to get the gig he's been fantastic in the role ever since.

Well, you know what they say:....A knife in the back is worth 2 Premiership cups in the Hands!;)

He doesn't owe you a compliment.

However Nick Smith is more than deserving of his AA position in my opinion. He's the best small defender in the game.

Well,....He certainly did a good job of enhancing Breust's reputation as a certainty for AA....Burgoyne & Hodge had as good a year as him & as the Finals bore out, are in another league altogether to young up-start Smith!

The proof as they say, is in the pudding!....

For those who aren't too familiar with Wrestling?
  • Lives by the "Never Give Up" mantra
  • Loved by kids
  • Bit of a hate/respect thing from fans of the opposition
  • Always wins the big ones
  • Pushed by the AFL as the "face of the company".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelongs finals record since Selwood has been skipper is 1-5.

1 win. 5 losses.

For all the bluster about how the cats 'just know how to get it done' and how Selwood 'gets his team over the line in big games', that's 1 win, 5 losses.

Including a straight sets exit, a prelim loss leading by almost 5 goals in the last and a loss at KP. The 1 win being a tight one against a raw port Adelaide.

Just saying.

Meh, circumstantial. In a year or two Hawthorn will likely have a similar run, and it won't be a reflection on their captain, whoever it is.

I obviously think it's Hodge, and I hate Selwood's "arm lifting" but you have to respect games like his effort in the Hawks final this year. A great captain doesn't have to be your best player, but that willingness to leave absolutely everything out on the field, and will yourself at the contest must really lift your teammates.

Maybe if he was at a club like Carlton, wasn't Gibbs put straight into the leadership group when drafted?

Bob Murphy as of today ;) I think.

Bob Murphy for a week or two until he breaks down at his very mature age.................Tom Boyd thereafter. :)

Hodge is the best captain.
Would have rated Watson also before he gave his troops the O.K. for Hirds special program. Bad career move.

It's almost like 2005-2008 never existed.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Hodge was captain during those years. I thought he only became captain in 2011.

Why Boak? He's competent but nothing special like Hodge & Selwood.

Port are flavour of the month it seems.

I wouldn't rate Boak over Cotchin as a leader, he just had a better team this year. Anyone remember his extremely poor comments regarding the Tigers after they lost to us mid-season? That's not a true leader. Hodge/Selwood would never publicly disrespect another club like that, it was literally the most disrespectful formal comment I've heard towards my club by another player in the media in recent memory.

True leaders are admired by all.

Back