Who does Australia bow to the US?

Remove this Banner Ad

JocksWaHey420

Rookie
Dec 22, 2002
WHY DOES AUSTRALIA BOW TO THE US? not who

their culture and influence is poisonous for us.

Australians are europeans in denial.

We act anti-British because our screwed up media says so and so many of the uneducated and anglo, 2nd plus generation australians believe that.

Australia follows the US with the worst media of all.

Religion should never rule or have any place in Australia, look at how screwy the US is. There will be a time when they will absolutely fall flat on their face.

Our history is shaped by one mistake after another.

more of a rant,

but i think i can talk for days with how there are little problems with Australia that have crept in to Australian society.

Originally posted by JocksWaHey420

We act anti-British because our screwed up media says so and so many of the uneducated and anglo, 2nd plus generation australians believe that.

Religion should never rule or have any place in Australia, look at how screwy the US is. There will be a time when they will absolutely fall flat on their face.

and now, here's Mike with the weather....

WHY DOES AUSTRALIA BOW TO THE US?

Crap, I don't take notice of any media beatup.
I don't act anti british, I am anti british due to the mightier than you are attitude of every Brit. I've ever come across.

Try having a Pom. for a Boss (I've had a few) and you will soon see what I mean.
I won't be subservient to any bastard, let alone a pommy bastard :mad:

lol, Fogarty,

its the same for every bastard boss anyone could have.

its this whole "americanisation" that has filtered through into Australia, very sad.

and i suppose ol JimBulb grew up in the lower class suburbs and despise England or Europeans after a bad experience.

very laughable, and i suppose you think the arts mean commercial radio

lol, Fogarty,

its the same for every bastard boss anyone could have.

its this whole "americanisation" that has filtered through into Australia, very sad.

If you think that's bad, try living in Canada.

Remember they used to play rugby and cricket in Canada as their main sports.

But being in most cases on 50-80 kms from the US border is akin to "sleeping with an elephant".

It is not so much that US culture is infiltrating us here. It is the fact that the negative aspects of their highly competitive consumerist lifestyle is altering the way we adapt not only to business but life in general.

Hey, there are some aspects of US life that are highly advantageous (24 hour supermarkets, breaking of monopolies like the two-airline policy or Telecom/Telstra, Sunday shopping (Sorry Adelaide!!!!) 7Elevens etc etc).

Bt it is the aggressive attitude of soulless multinational companies like Starbucks that gets on my craw. Hence I choose to frequent existing cafes etc etc owned by individuals rather than enter their stores for some over-priced froth.

JF

Originally posted by JF_Bay_22_SCG
Hey, there are some aspects of US life that are highly advantageous (24 hour supermarkets, breaking of monopolies like the two-airline policy or Telecom/Telstra, Sunday shopping Sorry Adelaide!!!!) 7Elevens etc etc).

We've had Sunday shopping here for months.

Originally posted by JF_Bay_22_SCG
If you think that's bad, try living in Canada.

Remember they used to play rugby and cricket in Canada as their main sports.

But being in most cases on 50-80 kms from the US border is akin to "sleeping with an elephant".

It is not so much that US culture is infiltrating us here. It is the fact that the negative aspects of their highly competitive consumerist lifestyle is altering the way we adapt not only to business but life in general.

Hey, there are some aspects of US life that are highly advantageous (24 hour supermarkets, breaking of monopolies like the two-airline policy or Telecom/Telstra, Sunday shopping (Sorry Adelaide!!!!) 7Elevens etc etc).

Bt it is the aggressive attitude of soulless multinational companies like Starbucks that gets on my craw. Hence I choose to frequent existing cafes etc etc owned by individuals rather than enter their stores for some over-priced froth.

JF

Good points JF, and it has 2 sides to it, but the negative is continually noticeable. There is a pro-US stance that the US has which drips arrogance, which has been adopted. Australia will eventually grind out their own culture (in years to come) but we dont need to adopt.

Good points JF, and it has 2 sides to it, but the negative is continually noticeable. There is a pro-US stance that the US has which drips arrogance, which has been adopted. Australia will eventually grind out their own culture (in years to come) but we dont need to adopt.
It's not really that big a deal.

We have our own culture. But in saying that, we adopt certain things from the US and certain things from the British.

The pro-US stance with the US has nothing to do with our culture of following the US. We have always had a large amount of US TV programs and movies. Media controls our culture far more than politics.

Unfortunately our kids are walking around thinking they're boyz in da hood, and fortunately we haven't adopted the arrogance of the US (because in their words we haven't got anything to be arrogant about).

Much ado about f'all. And long live Krispy Kreme.

Originally posted by bunsen burner

We have our own culture. But in saying that, we adopt certain things from the US and certain things from the British.

Australia has never really had its own unique culture (since 1788 anyway). It has always been more of a stir-fry of influences from all around the world. The mix we put together is distinctive, interesting and cosmopoliton.

The fact that we are using more US ingrediants now instead of British is no big deal. As long as we show some critical judgement on the way (lets not use their approach to guns or religion for example).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its ok to have a Euro/UK influence but not a US? Whats the difference? Who are you to say whats better?

People will be influenced by who they want.

You are a little obsessed in this anti-US stuff.

Originally posted by bunsen burner

The pro-US stance with the US has nothing to do with our culture of following the US. We have always had a large amount of US TV programs and movies. Media controls our culture far more than politics.

Unfortunately our kids are walking around thinking they're boyz in da hood, and fortunately we haven't adopted the arrogance of the US (because in their words we haven't got anything to be arrogant about).

Much ado about f'all. And long live Krispy Kreme.

the whole world is Americanised not just us, arselicker Howard bows to the septics but he doesn't speak for me, never............................dave

This thread is anti American trash. Stop crying about America being the super power of the world, and accept it.

Jock.

You havent posted anything factual. For the uneducated and unintelligent like myself, can you please post 5 examples of each statement so I can understand WTF you are talking about.

Cheers

SJW

:) :) :confused:

Re: Re: Who does Australia bow to the US?

Originally posted by EssJayW
Jock.

You havent posted anything factual. For the uneducated and unintelligent like myself, can you please post 5 examples of each statement so I can understand WTF you are talking about.

Cheers

SJW

:) :) :confused:

The part I liked was contrasting this-

"Religion should never rule or have any place in Australia, look at how screwy the US is. There will be a time when they will absolutely fall flat on their face."

with this-

Australians are europeans in denial, blah blah blah I am a stupid whiney pom who can't come to terms with the fact that nobody likes me blah blah blah...'real' football...blahblah..arrogant afl fans...rule britannia.... blah blah blah...

Yeah, the US places totally unreasonable emphasis on religion, therefore they are screwy.
Meanwhile, the Britain's head of state is also in fact the head of the Church of England...

I just select bits out of American culture that I like ....

Soundgarden, Tarantino, Bill Hicks, Rolling Rock and The Sopranos, for example.

And then I just pass on what doesn't appeal to me.

Why can't we give people a little bit of credit for choosing the things that most appeal to them, whether that be Yankee, Chinese or whatever?

If they wanna watch Oprah, or listen to Eminem, or chew on Burger King fries, then thats their problem - maybe we could refrain from being so culturally judgemental or pretentious about it.

We're overwhelmed with products from China, Korea, Taiwan etc, far, far more than American products. And that's cool with me too, but why do they get off so lightly with their product pervading through our "culture" ?

Originally posted by GhostofJimJess
We're overwhelmed with products from China, Korea, Taiwan etc, far, far more than American products. And that's cool with me too, but why do they get off so lightly with their product pervading through our "culture" ?

People are not too concerned with the origin of manufactured goods. A DVD player or car are not really culturally unique. If Nike manufactures its good in Taiwan it does not mean that Taiwanese culture is being spread. If Australia comes to dominate rice exports to Japan it is hardly going to see the Oz culture influencing Japan.

Most people are concerned with cultural things. Music, film and TV, books, politics and philosophy, language, food ... stuff like that.

One twist though is to ask what is American culture? I mean Lord of the Rings is a Brit book by a Kiwi director, the newer Star Wars films feature a Scot actor, many are suggesting that two Aussie women will be nominated for an academy award. You could argue that we have a Western culture manufactured in America but not uniquely American.

'American food' like burgers and fries is German and Belgian. American comedy is largely Eastern European Jewish. Most 'American' music is African in its origins. America is more a filter of stuff from everywhere, so it makes sense that Australia (which is similar) is pretty comfortable with the Yanks.

I actually like the idea that unlike the French (for example) we don't spend a lot of time trying to decide what is or isn't an 'authentic' part of our culture. Instead we just throw anything we can get our hands on into the melting pot.

If, as I assume, the title of this thread should read, 'why'. rather than 'who', I'd say it's because everyone here thinks Bill Clinton is still in office. I seem to recall this sort of posture used to give him intense pleasure.

Of course, I may be wrong and we could just be sucking up to George Brush, which would be a totally different matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back