Opinion Who is the worst person you've met in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Im gonna go with Ross Lyon. Comments on Mitch Clark just reinforce what a despicable person he truly is. Having had a bit to do with him in his playing days personally, he was a campaigner back then. Seems that age and maturity have not kicked in. Still a disgraceful human. Johnny Devine would be up there also, but cant get near Lyon. Over to you blokes.

The bit about Mitch already having the chance to play for Freo and turning it down? Or has he said something else?

From what I heard he handled the inevitable Clark questions pretty well.

That I've MET personally? Josh Walker.

Seen him snub young kids for autographs on more than one occassion, even made a joke to Tom Hawkins (who was happily signing a young boys jumper at the time) that he should 'park around the back next time'.

Seen him snub young kids for autographs on more than one occassion, even made a joke to Tom Hawkins (who was happily signing a young boys jumper at the time) that he should 'park around the back next time'.

I'm sure the kids are distraught to be snubbed by their favourite 16-game player.

I've heard this about Josh too. A friend of mine played cricket over summer with a few big name interstate afl players who came back to Geelong, also playing with them was Josh. Said they were all top blokes, except Josh.

Wow, I thought the GFC culture was such that anyone like this would get their arse kicked.

Are you talking about when they enter before a game ?
Don't blame the players if they snub them as a lot you can clearly see are just getting things signed so they can rush home and put it on e-Bay.Tacky bastards.

That I've met?

Easy - Steven King. At the 2007 Best and Fairest. Anyone who got within a 5 metre radius got a lecture about how he was a 2-time All-Australian and former Captain, how there should never have even been a consideration about him not being picked. Just a complete arrogant tosser to be honest. Even guys like Scarlett were pleasant (but brief, he was leaving as I spoke to him). King stood out for all the wrong reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That I've met?

Easy - Steven King. At the 2007 Best and Fairest. Anyone who got within a 5 metre radius got a lecture about how he was a 2-time All-Australian and former Captain, how there should never have even been a consideration about him not being picked. Just a complete arrogant tosser to be honest. Even guys like Scarlett were pleasant (but brief, he was leaving as I spoke to him). King stood out for all the wrong reasons.
have heard some horrendous things about King. Including the club spending a lot of money to keep things quiet at one point. Havnt met him though

Are you talking about when they enter before a game ?
Don't blame the players if they snub them as a lot you can clearly see are just getting things signed so they can rush home and put it on e-Bay.Tacky bastards.

Ive dealt with a lot of people/celebrities/personalities/sportsman in my time in relation to autographs.

I seen most all types of reactions.

For mine, there is a time and a place for it. Before big events, games when they are in their " zone" or practicing/rehearsing is just not good.

Ive had far better success after events or whatever they are there to do.

With all that said, my approach has always been respectful and brief. Mr/Mrs/Sir/Maam goes a long way I find. Also, brevity is a key as is the ability to accept no thanks. If they say no, accept it, say thanks and no worries and let it go.

Mostly, they are happy to oblige. Ive done pretty well over the time.

There is not need for them to be impolite or rude as long as they are met with the same courtesy.

As for Walks alleged statements, its his right to say no and move on. But do it with class and respect, don't be a dick and sure as hell don't make jokes about it.

Jack Nicholson, Tom Hanks, Danny Devitto, Jennifer Aninton, Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Leonardo Dicarprio, Robin Williams, Mel Gibson, George Clooeny, Julia Roberts, Will Smith, Martin Scorsese, Renee Zellwegger, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, George Lucas, Stephen Speilberg, Heidi Klum...

All names much bigger than Josh Walker - all been have been fine with it in accepting or saying no. None of them made jokes about it.

Go Catters

The only player I've met personally was Fev when he was just starting out at Carlton and the Blues were playing a pre-season game up in Bendigo where I used to live so I got his autograph, but he was a great bloke funnily enough.

Ben Hart gave me a towelling in an inter-school game.

Just took him one quarter as well.

And he was a couple of years younger than me.

Never said a word to me but I really hate that guy*.

*Actually he is fine but he certainly made me realise I should never, ever go near a football field again.

I've met Tom Harley a few times and he's one of the most genuinely nice people you could ever hope to meet. I remember going to a training session over summer in January 2007 and Tom hung around for more than half an hour afterwards making sure everyone was accommodate with autographs and photos, and playing kick to kick with a couple of kids.

I remember Trent West snubbing a few kids at a family day, and also turning his back on a group of autograph hunters to have a laugh about something with Josh Hunt. Pretty rude behaviour.

I do NOT like Ross Lyon, and because of that I don't like Freo. Lyon is a smug, arrogant, pig with a hot temper (I'm not talking about him reacting to the Freo fan last week, but the fact they have put his name on his phone because he so regularly smashes them in fits of rage). I hated the way he put Simonds Stadium down last year... I could go on.

I've never met Lyon.

But I have met Billy Brownless and wasn't too impressed. It was at the Lord of The Isles after a Pivotonian dinner in 2013 (for which I paid $375!!). Billy was just a smart arse, pumping up some other pub in which he had an interest.

The nicest guy I've met was Joel Selwood, a perfect gentleman!

Ive dealt with a lot of people/celebrities/personalities/sportsman in my time in relation to autographs.

I seen most all types of reactions.

For mine, there is a time and a place for it. Before big events, games when they are in their " zone" or practicing/rehearsing is just not good.

Ive had far better success after events or whatever they are there to do.

With all that said, my approach has always been respectful and brief. Mr/Mrs/Sir/Maam goes a long way I find. Also, brevity is a key as is the ability to accept no thanks. If they say no, accept it, say thanks and no worries and let it go.

Mostly, they are happy to oblige. Ive done pretty well over the time.

There is not need for them to be impolite or rude as long as they are met with the same courtesy.

As for Walks alleged statements, its his right to say no and move on. But do it with class and respect, don't be a dick and sure as hell don't make jokes about it.

Jack Nicholson, Tom Hanks, Danny Devitto, Jennifer Aninton, Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Leonardo Dicarprio, Robin Williams, Mel Gibson, George Clooeny, Julia Roberts, Will Smith, Martin Scorsese, Renee Zellwegger, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, George Lucas, Stephen Speilberg, Heidi Klum...

All names much bigger than Josh Walker - all been have been fine with it in accepting or saying no. None of them made jokes about it.

Go Catters
To me personally I have never understood the desire to get a selfie/autograph with a famous person, as such I have never approach a famous person to get one.

I can understand they need to be pleasant when approached , but I imagine it's gets frustrating at times and they are only human.

However if I saw Kate Upton I won't be asking for an autograph ;)

Got to know Buddha quite well in his final years as a player and over here when he coached Peel.
Ripper bloke to have a few beers with and a round of golf - absolute bandit though - handicap of 16 - calling BS on that !!
Got us into the rooms where we saw his absolute resentment of authority - the way he would snub guys like Andrews and Davidson was a sight to behold.
Got me a Gaz Snr signed jumper for my birthday one year.
Was great to sit with him a few times and listen to him point out the finer points of the game plan , fantastic insight for this wannabe Coach !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back