Who of the current side would get in a revised "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

Great team, with two minor but potentially controversial observations.

From what I’ve read Bobby Davis was a classic HFF. Do we know if he ever played wing? It’s probably not important, but plonking him on the wing if he never played the role doesn’t sit well with me. Back then wing was a dedicated role.

Also, I would switch Danger and Buddha. Just think Danger’s contribution to the club in 170+ games has been so immense. Buddha was a champion, but failed as a captain ( couldn’t cope with the pressure).

You could swap Davis and Bartel but Bartel wasn't really a wingman either though needs to be included imo.

You are probably correct re Danger/Hocking. I just loved Buddha so had a bias towards him named in the 18.

You are probably correct re Danger/Hocking. I just loved Buddha so had a bias towards him named in the 18.
Plenty will agree with you. It’s a good ‘dilemma’ to debate

I'm not calling for his inclusion, but where does Brad Ottens rank in your history? would he be the 2nd or third best ruckman you guys have had?
Farmer
Newman
then King, Ottens, Burke in any order
The 2007 premiership team will be revered but how many of the current crop would be considered in a revised Geelong "team of the century"?

For me the only automatic selection would be Scarlett.

However from memory the original team of the century had one or two obscure half back flankers. Milburn may therefore be a chance.

At the end of their careers you would think that both G.Ablett and Bartel will be Geelong greats as well.
We are not only in a new century, but also millennium, so it's almost a moot point.
We should be only looking at teams of this century, millennium?

Farmer
Newman
then King, Ottens, Burke in any order

We are not only in a new century, but also millennium, so it's almost a moot point.
We should be only looking at teams of this century, millennium?

I'm just looking at an "all time" Cats team.

Only saw Newman in his latter years when he was finished. My father rated him highly though. But Ottens took us to 3 flags - including the 2007 prelim where he was immense. He's in on that.

I'm just looking at an "all time" Cats team.

Only saw Newman in his latter years when he was finished. My father rated him highly though. But Ottens took us to 3 flags - including the 2007 prelim where he was immense. He's in on that.
Even though I'm now possibly the most senior poster here, I struggle with TOTC when regarding players we can only read about. No vision, totally different eras and professionalism. Would be great if we had the highlights packages we are able to access now

Even though I'm now possibly the most senior poster here, I struggle with TOTC when regarding players we can only read about. No vision, totally different eras and professionalism. Would be great if we had the highlights packages we are able to access now

I agree. It's an impossible task but fun to debate nevertheless. I have a natural bias towards players I've seen. The last picked for me was Grigg. I was struggling to think of another modern day back pocket to accompany Smith and Scarlett. You'd probably throw up Ian Nankervis who was the premier BP when I first started watching footy. But since then have we had any truly great back pockets even in our successful 2007-2022 era? Milburn was the only one that came to mind.

I agree. It's an impossible task but fun to debate nevertheless. I have a natural bias towards players I've seen. The last picked for me was Grigg. I was struggling to think of another modern day back pocket to accompany Smith and Scarlett. You'd probably throw up Ian Nankervis who was the premier BP when I first started watching footy. But since then have we had any truly great back pockets even in our successful 2007-2022 era? Milburn was the only one that came to mind.
If I hadn't read this thread, not sure I've ever heard of Grigg.

Truly greats I'm not sure, but these 2 I loved
Josh Hunt?
Wojo?

Last edited:
So we need a Team of the 21st Century.

Here’s my first edit:

B: Lonergan. Scarlett. Wojcinski
HB: Stewart. Taylor Enright
C: Corey. Selwood. Guthrie (Cam)
HF: Johnson Cameron. Bartel
F: Chapman Hawkins. Mooney
R: Ottens Dangerfield Ablett
I/C: Harley. Kelly J. Duncan. Blicavs

Last edited:

Here’s my first edit:

Nice.
I'd like Ling and Mackie in there.
Much as I love Harley and Duncan....
Great debating issues.

If I hadn't read this thread, not sure I've ever heard of Grigg.

Truly grearts I'm not sure, but these 2 I loved
Josh Hunt?
Wojo?

Both had deficiencies in my opinion that are too great to be included in a best ever team. I’m going on reputation for Grigg! His CV on Wikipedia (always a reliable source) is impressive!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both had deficiencies in my opinion that are too great to be included in a best ever team. I’m going on reputation for Grigg! His CV on Wikipedia (always a reliable source) is impressive!
Was Grigg a tall or a small BP?

Wasn't thinking about a best ever team, just BP's who I rated.

Here’s my first edit:

B: Wojcinski, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Enright
C: C.Guthrie, Selwood, Duncan
HF: S.Johnson, Cameron, Chapman
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Mooney

Foll: Ottens, Dangerfield, G.Ablett jnr

Int: Blicavs, Bartel, Kelly, Mackie

I love Wojo, but Sanderson and Mackie were better players.

I'd also change:
Lonergan out, Harley in the first 18, Lingy on the bench.
J Kelly out, Steven King in.

Also, I would switch Danger and Buddha. Just think Danger’s contribution to the club in 170+ games has been so immense. Buddha was a champion, but failed as a captain ( couldn’t cope with the pressure).
Anything Buddha could do, Dangerfield could do too (perhaps with the exception of completely dependable field kicking).

But the same isn't true in reverse.

Both excellent players, but no question who was better. Dangerfield also a better leader.

Trying to preserve position

FBMilburn, DarrenScarlett, MatthewEnright, Corey
HBStewart, TomTaylor, HarryMackie, Andrew
CBartel, JimmySelwood, JoelDuncan, Mitch
HFJohnson, SteveCameron, JeremyMiers, Gryan
FFStengle, TysonHawkins, TomChapman, Paul
FolOttens, BradDangerfield, PatrickAblett, Gary
IntBlicavs, MarkKelly, JamesCorey, JoelStokes, Mathew

B team

FBHarley, TomLonergan, TomTuohy, Zach
HBWojcinski, DavidHenderson, LachieSanderson, Brenton
CMenegola, SamKelly, TimSmith, Isaac
HFVarcoe, TravisMooney, CameronRiccardi, Peter
FFRohan, GaryPodsiadly, JamesMotlop, Steven
FolKing, StevenGuthrie, CameronLing, Cameron
IntStanley, RhysGuthrie, ZachHolmes, MaxClose, Brad

Last edited:
B: Wojcinski, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Enright
C: C.Guthrie, Selwood, Duncan
HF: S.Johnson, Cameron, Chapman
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Mooney

Foll: Ottens, Dangerfield, G.Ablett jnr

Int: Blicavs, Bartel, Kelly, Mackie
Great side. My version:

FB: Stewart Scarlett Milburn

HB: Enright Taylor Mackie

C: Duncan Selwood Corey

HF: Chapman Cameron Miers

FF: Johnson Hawkins Stengle

FOL: Ottens Dangerfield Ablett

IC: Bartel Kelly Blicavs C.Guthrie

Duncan and C.Guthrie would be half back rotation options. I loved Wojo's dash though.

Corey adds a bit more defensive balance to that midfield and was very productive as a hard runner on the wing too.

Mooney was great for us, but imagine Miers play making introduced to that team. Dangerfield and Bartel would be rotating as that extra marking option up forward. Blicavs could be plugged in anywhere but would cover Mooney's second ruck duties and potentially be a third tall in defence.

I'd see Holmes potentially breaking into this side eventually, probably with a tough decision being made on one of our many brilliant but less pacy midfielders like Corey or Guthrie.

B: Enright-Scarlett-Milburn
HB:Mackie-Egan-Stewart
C: Duncan-Selwood-Bartel
HF: S. Johnson-Cameron-Miers
F: Chapman-Hawkins-Stengel
Fol: Ottens - Dangerfield, Ablett
Int: Blicavs - Corey - Ling - Smith

Going off the logic that each player is at their peak. Obviously too many omissions to bother trying to justify.

Trying to preserve position

FBMilburn, DarrenScarlett, MatthewEnright, Corey
HBStewart, TomTaylor, HarryMackie, Andrew
CBartel, JimmySelwood, JoelDuncan, Mitch
HFJohnson, SteveCameron, JeremyMiers, Gryan
FFStengle, TysonHawkins, TomChapman, Paul
FolOttens, BradDangerfield, PatrickAblett, Gary
IntBlicavs, MarkKelly, JamesCorey, JoelStokes, Mathew

B team

FBHarley, TomLonergan, TomTuohy, Zach
HBWojcinski, DavidHenderson, LachieSanderson, Brenton
CMenegola, SamKelly, TimSmith, Isaac
HFVarcoe, TravisMooney, CameronStokes, Mathew
FFRohan, GaryPodsiadly, JamesMotlop, Steven
FolKing, StevenGuthrie, CameronLing, Cameron
IntStanley, RhysGuthrie, ZachHolmes, MaxRiccardi, Peter
-
Have Matty Stokes twice but easy mistake to do but in essence you've nailed the side Lana:.... only change would be Cam Ling for Matty Stokes on interchange but other than that 'spot on'

Steven King is criminally underrated here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back