Who's got you excited for 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not going to same i am excited, but interested to see what development Ratten makes as a coach. Last year was a big year for improvement from him. It will be interesting to see if he can do the same thing this year and improve once again.

I AM excited about this year. Not because of the things we know either. We know that at last years best we were competitive with the best sides.

The questions which excite me are;

Can we find another 3-5 more goals a game from our forward line?

-I think with a stronger key forward in a fit waite or Hammmer, even rowe we can maybe get 1 or 2 off their boot, plus if they can bring it to ground 1-2 more times rather than a opposition mark we can sneak another 1-2 goals from our quality smalls. Will Walker be spared the second best defender and maybe increase his average by 1 or 2.

Can we stop 3-4 more goals being scored against us this year?

-Both jammo and hendo were outstanding in our back line last year. But never at the same time. This is probably where we have most potential to improve in 2012 barring injury.

Will Yaz and Zac improve on their ability to run and carry out of the back line?

-Both can be 100M players. 30-40M run plus a 40-50M kick into 10-20M of space for the receiver. We were good in this area last year, but a marked improvement in this area will go along way to piercing an opposition press.

Will our mids stand up to some of the stronger midfields in the comp?

-I don't think our midfield was necessarily beaten at all last year. We were bullied on occasion tho. Hawthorn comes to mind. Are the boys as strong and nasty as ratts says.

I love footy season...

One word:Murphy.

That lob to a running Lucas for a goal on Friday was a work of art.

Never mind the explosion of Gibbs, get under the table and shield your eyes when Murf goes off this year.

Will our mids stand up to some of the stronger midfields in the comp?

-I don't think our midfield was necessarily beaten at all last year. We were bullied on occasion tho. Hawthorn comes to mind. Are the boys as strong and nasty as ratts says.

I love footy season...

Like the list however I think we were beaten in the midfield on a few occasions. ..

West Coast - at a minimum they nullified us
Bulldogs - Hudson schooled our rucks and the tactic of hitting the ball at pace is where we lost the game
Saints (first game) - think they got under our skin and on top of our midfield, admittedly through negative tactics
Saints (second game) - they smashed us all over the park but it was an empty game

BD, if we can find three goals a match and stop an extra three goals a match, we won't lose a game all year.

Nice thought though.

He didnt say both to occur in every game. But I see no reason why we cant win every game this year.

Fans of genuine top 4 teams look at every game as a win, broken down into games against bottom 4 teams as percentage boosters by 10 goals or more, games against the rest of the non 8 teams as easy 5 goals wins, games against bottom of the 8 teams as wins by less than 5 goals but wins nonetheless and games against the other 3 top 4 teams as winnable if we play well.

I think we will finish in the top 2, maybe even top. I think the GF will be us v Hawks, and I cant see any games we couldnt win. History says its unlikely we will go undefeated but as to which games we would drop, I cant see which ones they will be and think it most likely we will beat all of the other top 4 contenders at least once and drop games we would otherwise expect to win.

And I believe the games we lose will be those that our midfield loses. I have said for years now that dominant midfields are the keys to success. I think we all know that now. Having a strong defence is important, especially when our mids are being beaten to avoid blow out losses, and having a potent forward line is also important and contributes to the size of wins greatly, but and its a very big but, if our mids dont dominate we wont win.

And we have by a long long way the best midfield in the comp now. Its time to win the whole damn thing to prove it.

Only recall our midfield being smashed by the Bulldogs, Eagles in the first game and the Hawks. We either beat or pretty broke even on other occasions.

We didn't beat Collingwood in the midfield. We were smacked by Hawthorn in the center, the WCE's beat us here in the H/A game and in the later part of the final, The Bulldogs won the midfield battle against us. The Saints and Geelong and us broke fairly even. We all know our midfield was not up to premiership standard in 2011, it lacked quality depth but in 2012 things might be different.

He didnt say both to occur in every game. But I see no reason why we cant win every game this year.

Fans of genuine top 4 teams look at every game as a win, broken down into games against bottom 4 teams as percentage boosters by 10 goals or more, games against the rest of the non 8 teams as easy 5 goals wins, games against bottom of the 8 teams as wins by less than 5 goals but wins nonetheless and games against the other 3 top 4 teams as winnable if we play well.

I think we will finish in the top 2, maybe even top. I think the GF will be us v Hawks, and I cant see any games we couldnt win. History says its unlikely we will go undefeated but as to which games we would drop, I cant see which ones they will be and think it most likely we will beat all of the other top 4 contenders at least once and drop games we would otherwise expect to win.

And I believe the games we lose will be those that our midfield loses. I have said for years now that dominant midfields are the keys to success. I think we all know that now. Having a strong defence is important, especially when our mids are being beaten to avoid blow out losses, and having a potent forward line is also important and contributes to the size of wins greatly, but and its a very big but, if our mids dont dominate we wont win.

And we have by a long long way the best midfield in the comp now. Its time to win the whole damn thing to prove it.

Hear hear! Nothing wrong with a bit of bullishness as the season approaches.:thumbsu::D

2012 GF between CFC and Black Caviar?

BD, if we can find three goals a match and stop an extra three goals a match, we won't lose a game all year.

Nice thought though.

Your right.

Last year going into big games, i was unsure. I knew we could win but wasn't 100% confident of it. especially once jammo went down. I remember the dogs and saints just pumping the ball high and long into our defensive half and feeling that we were just out of the contest.

I'm excited because I see the potential to significantly improve this year. I feel like the club has done the work in the areas that needed work, and for no reason should we go into this season fearing anyone.

Not only do we have depth in our playing list this year, but depth in our structures. We can play fast against the slow teams, and hard against the strong teams, we can play tall against the tall teams or even force tall teams to play smaller than their capable.

sorry gotta go I think i left "a window open"

Go blues

Zac T easily a superstar in the making elite foot skills and elite speed reads the play well as well and is versatile not to mention a hard nut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big man Kreuzer has me exited. Some of his work in the nab games have me drooling at what he is capable of. That half volley pick up from Scotland pass was amazing against the dogs.
Can't wait until he reaches a purple patch , similar to that swans game last year but many games on end.

Big Kreuz has to play on ball, he's just wasted up forward. By all means play him in spurts as a forward to rest but he is just too valuable when he is hunting the football.

I fear that Warnock will not be able to play in the same team when Kreuzer is the number 1 ruckman because he can't make an impact up forward. A Hampson and Kreuzer partnership looks a lot more balanced, especially if Hammer keeps up his preseason form.

Kreuzer must be number 1.

Big Kreuz has to play on ball, he's just wasted up forward. By all means play him in spurts as a forward to rest but he is just too valuable when he is hunting the football.

I fear that Warnock will not be able to play in the same team when Kreuzer is the number 1 ruckman because he can't make an impact up forward. A Hampson and Kreuzer partnership looks a lot more balanced, especially if Hammer keeps up his preseason form.

Kreuzer must be number 1.

What exactly has Hampson done in the pre-season to place him ahead of Warnock once he is fully fit, Hampson continues to have his tyres pumped up on this board without as yet delivering on a consistent basis in the real season.

Hampson has a opportunity early in the season to grasp a spot and it will be intersting to see if he can finally deliver some ongoing good performances not just the odd glimpse.

What exactly has Hampson done in the pre-season to place him ahead of Warnock once he is fully fit, Hampson continues to have his tyres pumped up on this board without as yet delivering on a consistent basis in the real season.

Hampson has a opportunity early in the season to grasp a spot and it will be intersting to see if he can finally deliver some ongoing good performances not just the odd glimpse.

Warnock > Hampson > Kreuzer as a tap ruckman
Kreuzer >>>>>> Hampson > Warnock around the ground
Hampson > Kreuzer >>> Warnock as a Forward

Warnock would likely be ahead of Hampson as a ruckman if he were fit however Hampson is getting the opportunity and has so far shown improvement in the ruck and up forward (still needs to work on his link work around the ground though). ..

Warnock's main issue is that he either needs to work on his link work and his pinch hitting up forward or needs to have the fitness to ruck a large game percentage but then you're robbing the team of Kreuzer's influence around the ground. .. We cannot afford to have a ruckman who hogs the bench when resting. ..

Warnock > Hampson > Kreuzer as a tap ruckman
Kreuzer >>>>>> Hampson > Warnock around the ground
Hampson > Kreuzer >>> Warnock as a Forward

Warnock would likely be ahead of Hampson as a ruckman if he were fit however Hampson is getting the opportunity and has so far shown improvement in the ruck and up forward (still needs to work on his link work around the ground though). ..

Warnock's main issue is that he either needs to work on his link work and his pinch hitting up forward or needs to have the fitness to ruck a large game percentage but then you're robbing the team of Kreuzer's influence around the ground. .. We cannot afford to have a ruckman who hogs the bench when resting. ..

Warnock finals performances as a one man ruck was outstanding, none of our ruckman really have shown too much up forward if we are being totally honest, until one can show the ability to kick some goals up forward with some frequency, not certain there is great difference in all 3, the best combination if all 3 were fully fit would be 60% Warnock and 40% Kruezer, hopefully Kreuzer can develop his game so he can be more effective up forward.

Okay, so you didn't read my post.

Warnock is a good tap ruckman, but around the ground and up forward he is broader line useless. Like I said, Kreuzer must be number one, and for that to happen our other ruckman must spend time forward due to the new sub rules. Warnock just doesn't offer enough up forward compared with Hampson.

That's just my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back