Who's the most improved player(s) in the AFL in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

19-24 years old, seasons 1-6 - Developing (2008-2013 for Myers)
25-29 years old, seasons 7-11 - Prime (2014-2018)
30-33 years old, seasons 12-15 - Past their prime (2019-2022)

Seems like the standard development curve for a footballer TBH. The blokes that are stars from 20-21 are the exceptions, not the rule.
Not for a bloke with the expectations on him that he had.
Your ruckman timeline doesnt apply to mids...you can manufacture good mids off your own list and our clubs rely on doing just that...but when you deliberately target and draft a midfielder with a #6 pick you assume he will at least be showing plennnty by 21-22. You at least get regular glimpses of what u have to look forward to by 21. He wasnt showing much at all for years and years and became a source of frustration at a club not going well, and a club that actually wanted to play him and get him to step up.

Its unfortunate that so many guys dont get a second chance, especially the ones hit hard by injuries...but in Myers case he has been a definite slow burner that required more patience than normal for that investment. If he was a 3rd round pick he'd be lucky to still be at the Dons and perhaps lucky to be getting a game anywhere a cpl of yrs ago. Of course now that he's starting to produce some better footy the ones wanting to trade him yrs ago will now say they always had faith.

As it stands he is still a #6 pick who is at absolute best the 5th best midfielder at a mid table club playing his 7th season.
You think that is regulation ?

He was only ever a target for a few clubs that knew he had the game, but probably required a move. Should happen far more often than it does. Noone was prepared to pay thru the nose either. If he goes on to become a great midfielder good on em for showing the patience...but you dont want to be taking anywhere near that kind of risk or thinking that is a regular timeline for a midfielder.

Don't think it is correct or fair to nominate players as "most-improved" when they are essentially getting back to their best after a poor or injury-ruined year (e.g. the Geelong supporters nominating Hawkins or Rivers, those nominating Yarran etc.).

That's essentially a "best comeback" award.

Needs to be someone who has genuinely made a leap from anything they have done previously.

A fair few in the Melbourne side would qualify:

Jetta
Dunne
Dawes (better than he ever was at C'wood)

From Essendon, the most obvious example is Hooker.

Your kidding right? Whenever there is a thread about the crows (except for bay 13, where yes i do give niggles but that basically what it is for) I very rarely comment on it, and when I do I am usually back up what another crows writer is saying.

Stop being so sensitive and get back on topic.

I've never seen a bigger lie in my life.
You're number 1 ticket holder on the Crows Troll Train.

no but leading the league in running bounces does

Woopdedoo.
So he leads the league in standing in space until a better player wins the ball and gives it to him, just so he can bounce the ball 3 times in 15 metres and turn it over...

Please...running bounces?
Up there with important stats like most goose steps and number of blind turns.

I think Brodie Smith's improvement has been a little overstated. He's just receiving recognition that he hadn't been getting until now. He's actually been playing at a very high standard for a while. His 2012 finals series, for instance, was brilliant. This season has obviously been easily his best so far, but he's really only been following a fairly natural development arch for a quality first round draft pick. There hasn't been a massive jump in his output, just strong, steady improvement.

For most improved, I'd be more inclined to go with a guy like Jaensch, who was considered prime delisting material until this season. He's now found a place in our best 22, in a role that most Crows fans thought he was hopeless at.

Neville Jetta is another good call. I always assumed he was a complete write off, but every time I've seen him play for Melbourne this year he's been good. Stats haven't been amazing, but he seems far more comfortable at the top level than he's ever been.

Looks to be tearing it up this season, unfortunately. Seems like people want to avoid mentioning him. We did have him playing a different kind of role last year, though.
Do remember that franklin was one of the best players in the league from 2008-2012. I don't think h'es improved on that very much so far this year. He kicked 113 odd goals in 2008, for crying out loud!!!

Do remember that franklin was one of the best players in the league from 2008-2012. I don't think h'es improved on that very much so far this year. He kicked 113 odd goals in 2008, for crying out loud!!!
Thanks. I certainly hope he hasn't improved much...LOL

Steven May from GC has been bloody impressive this season. Never rated him before 2014. Ditto Tom Lynch.

Also, Stefan Martin has stepped up for the Lions. Probably getting the most out of his abilities.

From the dogs, Macrae has had a cracker of a season but is only young, and was due to improve on an already impressive debut 2013 season.

Easton Wood has put together a solid 2014 in the backline too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the sense that he improved form being a gigantic waste of space most other weeks?

He was much better last year in his natural position.

Yep your right Carisle is no good up forward at all.

One out of the box: Neville Jetta

Never thought he would play again...
This. Has gone from spud-worthy to a very good small defender. Cam Pederson has also come from an extremely low base.

Thread needs more Spangher. He's just about their best performed key defender the last month.

stefan martin
has been a revelation this year
Sad thing is without ur ruck stocks at an all time low, he probably wouldn't have even got a game!
This. Has gone from spud-worthy to a very good small defender. Cam Pederson has also come from an extremely low base.

Thread needs more Spangher. He's just about their best performed key defender the last month.

Yeah Spangher is one, but a little starved for opportunities. Wouldn't mind getting him down to the crows if the price was right and he wants more opportunities.

from Geelong only, I'd have to nominate George Horlin-Smith and Mark Blicavs.

Motlop, Guthrie and to a lesser extent Murdoch have all maintained or improved upon their 2014 output.

But Horlin-Smith has gone from rarely getting a game to a best-22 player this year.
Blicavs showed something last year, this season he's arguably shown improvement every single week, been a revelation.

One out of the box: Neville Jetta

Never thought he would play again...has really found his spot.

Was coming in to mention Neville Jetta. I had him marked as a player who'd never make it as a half forward or forward pocket who is disciplined enough to tackle his heart out, so it's been a real surprise to see him become a very solid small, lock down defender. Lynden Dunn has become a very good defender out of almost nowhere too. Roos can certainly find defenders from unlikely sources. They might go along with Leo Barry, Ted Richards, LRT and Heath Grundy who all started their careers as forwards but became or have become quality defenders under Roos.

From Sydney, I'd say our most improved has been Ben McGlynn. He's been very solid since coming to Sydney bu this has been his career best year so far. Was getting a raw deal from Swans fans last year in my eyes and some were advocating for him to be out of the side in 2014. He's shown how important and vital he is this year. He carried the midfield with Kennedy and Parker in our first horrible month purely through his gut busting run and fearsome tackling. He runs with the best midfielders often now and he just doesn't accept poor work rate from himself or others. He's been a perfect addition to the midfield rotation and leadership group this year.

Woopdedoo.
So he leads the league in standing in space until a better player wins the ball and gives it to him, just so he can bounce the ball 3 times in 15 metres and turn it over...

Please...running bounces?
Up there with important stats like most goose steps and number of blind turns.

Welp you have no idea.

Welp you have no idea.

No I really do have an idea.
The number of bounces a player takes tells you virtually nothing about their skill level or playing ability.

All it says is he gets into space well...which is only a minute aspect of the game.

Anyone thinking Yarran is in the top 50 improved players in the comp need to see a psychiatrist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back