Prediction Will we win a final this season ?

Will we win our first final since 2001 in 2017 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Enormously surprised by the poll so far. Always considered myself an optimist but I honestly can't see us making finals this year. Maybe I've just finally been worn down by expectation and failure. I think we'll improve and I do think we have a pretty side, but there's just too many teams gone past us. GWS, Syd, Dogs, Hawks, Crows and Geelong would have to stuff it pretty hard not to make it, and unfortunately I see the chances of significant improvement from Melbourne, St. Kilda, West Coast and Freo better than ours. Realistically we're in a group with Collingwood, Port, Gold Coast, and as much as I hate to admit it, Essendon. We'll have most of those sides I'd say but really we're relying on teams above us in 2016 dropping away.

10th/11th, but it'll be a fun season.

On the contrary, I think this year is a fantastic opportunity, because there are no clear cut champions to dethrone, it's a pretty open field. And I sense a changing of the guard somewhat in the next couple of years.

Of 2016's Top 8:

Sydney - I actually see them having a slump this season, since 2012's flag they have been thereabouts without being able to win the big one, and I think the pressure of expectation could start getting to them at some point.

Geelong - We exposed them last year, and despite running out of legs and not being able to finish the job, the Cats barely escaped with a win over us, and I think 2017 is the year we finally get a win against them. I also see them potentially falling out of the Top 8, they are a prime example of a team being carried by superstars, but eventually that bubble bursts.

Hawthorn - They've done it all, and although it's dangerous to write off a team that have been as good as the Hawks, they are about to enter a new era of players, and I don't see them as certainties at all to make finals.

GWS - Can't see them missing, they will probably win the premiership this year... however if they get ahead of themselves, they could underperform due to the pressure of expectation. They probably won't, just too much form and talent... but like the Dogs, they are a hunted team this year, and other teams will be planning heavily for them, so they need to learn to be the hunted, not the hunters.

Adelaide - Bit of a yo-yo side, good enough to make the Top 8 but never really go deep, similar to us in 2015 but just an extra win in them. Although they dealt with the loss of Danger last year pretty well, they could get found out with their lack of speed in the middle.

West Coast - Their style relies on them having Nic Nat, and his loss for 2017 is going to be huge. They're just a totally different team without him. Mitchell helps them a bit, but he's aging and won't be able to carry them. Decent team, but again no certainties, all it takes is a few injuries and their depth will be heavily tested. No certainties.

Western Bulldogs - They won the flag, but let's remember that they finished 7th with a pretty poor percentage for a 15 win team. Fantastic finals series aside, I don't think they're certainties to make the Top 8 this year, the pressure of being the "hunted" rather than the hunters is something they're not used to, and let's all remember what happened to the great Hawks side of 2008 the following year.

North - With all the experience they have lost, they're almost certainly staring at a drop on the ladder while they do a mini-rebuild, I see them having a similar year to us in 2016 honestly, they'll be competitive at stages, but won't have enough class or depth to win the required 12-13 matches needed.

So of the Top 8, you can realistically say that 4 or even 5 of them could potentially fall away, leaving room for some of the teams that missed in 2016 to strike.

St. Kilda, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Collingwood, and Richmond could all potentially fill those gaps, and our performances against these teams will dictate where we finish ultimately. In 2016 we went 1-5 in those fixtures, that has to improve. You can make a case for all 5 of these teams to make the Top 8, and you can also make a case for why all 5 will miss again, so it comes down to how we perform in the key moments during the season.

I think Gold Coast and Brisbane will continue to struggle, although Brisbane are stockpiling some pretty handy talent, and Rocket Eade's teams don't usually stay down the bottom for too long.

Carlton have a very ordinary list with a very good coach so they could do alright, but are are ultimately limited by their overall talent level, whilst Fremantle are the great unknowns of the competition, however I think Ross is clearly looking at rebuilding with that 2020 contract in place, so they might be a few years off being a serious threat again.

It's a cliche, but this season is one of the most even it's ever been, and don't discount any team completely.

Not even Richmond! ;)

Last edited:
Enormously surprised by the poll so far. Always considered myself an optimist but I honestly can't see us making finals this year. Maybe I've just finally been worn down by expectation and failure. I think we'll improve and I do think we have a pretty side, but there's just too many teams gone past us. GWS, Syd, Dogs, Hawks, Crows and Geelong would have to stuff it pretty hard not to make it, and unfortunately I see the chances of significant improvement from Melbourne, St. Kilda, West Coast and Freo better than ours. Realistically we're in a group with Collingwood, Port, Gold Coast, and as much as I hate to admit it, Essendon. We'll have most of those sides I'd say but really we're relying on teams above us in 2016 dropping away.

10th/11th, but it'll be a fun season.
For me it is more about the fact that I just don't care how crap we are.
We better win a final.
I don't care how many teams have seemingly gone past us.
We better win a final.
Don't care how our KPP stocks are deficient.
We better win a final.

Poetic I know :D but still. This should be how the club thinks too. How else will we expect to build a strong culture? Making/winning finals only when others expect us to?

This club hardly surprises in a good way and given that it surprised me in the off-season this year by:

- getting Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy and 2 first rounders next year
- Going for X-factor again with our first choice in the draft (2nd round) and seemingly decent picks beyond that (still speculative though)
- Getting onto PUMA, returning the vibrant Richmond colours

I hope that they'll also surprise me in the season. They better blow us away and win a final or two or else...

...I am going to sit here and frown at them I guess

Do we have the talent to make then win a final? I think yes but will the coach allow players to play to their strengths and play with flair? I think not but that is purely based upon his recent seasons performances as he is a follower not an innovator.

At this stage, we should have a good chance of making the finals this year. New players, new FD, new game plan, new attitude. Once the finals begin, it's a new game.
With that in mind, yes, we can win a final this year.

Interesting and open season.Not just for us.
Top 4 is really top 3 with 4th open.
GWAFLHQ
Dogs
Swans
?????
We could make the finals.
First 4 rnds will tell the story for us.
If we are 2-2 or worse then forget finals and just confirms that the players have lost faith in Dimma.

Adelaide and West Coast have enough scoring power to be flat track bullies on their home ground, so I expect them to both make the eight due to their Home Ground advantage....

We won 8 games after a 'wheels fell off the bus' season

think about the rhetoric that has been going on around BF about us. we still won 8 games, dropped 2 games we ought to have won so realistically 10 games we SHOULD have won.

This was probably the best improvement of our list that i can think of in recent memory, i reckon that we are very much an unknown for 2017

Do we have the talent to make then win a final? I think yes but will the coach allow players to play to their strengths and play with flair? I think not but that is purely based upon his recent seasons performances as he is a follower not an innovator.

My problem is if there is a change of game plan - and early indications are there will be one - it seems largely driven by the supporters and lack of action at the turnstiles (do they even have turnstiles these days?)
I haven't read or heard anything from Dimma, or anyone else on the coaching panel about a 'need' to chamge game plans or anything along the lines that last year's game, for want of a better word, plan was diabolical and crippling.

My problem is if there is a change of game plan - and early indications are there will be one - it seems largely driven by the supporters and lack of action at the turnstiles (do they even have turnstiles these days?)
I haven't read or heard anything from Dimma, or anyone else on the coaching panel about a 'need' to chamge game plans or anything along the lines that last year's game, for want of a better word, plan was diabolical and crippling.
I would suggest a clean out of all Assistant Coaches is a pretty big indication from the club of the need for change in game style... Yes that leads tot he argument Dimma should have gone, but he didn't so no point arguing it.
I get the feeling Chocco was using his influence over Dimma to get his way, creating similar problems that he caused in his last couple of years at Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This conflicts with what ive heard

Still, I would like to hear Dimma say last year's plan was a train wreck.

Wont happen, at any club

A media manager would be sacked for allowing any staff member to say that

Still, I would like to hear Dimma say last year's plan was a train wreck.

Let's face it, if Dimma did speak up and say something like you're asking for, you'd rip into him for being "all talk" and no action, and if he stays quiet and goes about making changes but not discussing things publicly, you rip into him for not talking.

He literally can't win with some of you people either way, so rather than bow to the whims of the vocal minority, he's going about changing some of his ideas and putting something in place. He's still going to get hate from the people who want him gone, but I'd rather him shutting up and just going about his business and getting the hate, rather than trying to appease disgruntled supporters with fluff pieces on Roar Vision.

Just to clarify, you do know it's in his best interests for the RFC to do well in 2017 right? Like he's not conspiring for us to perform poorly on purpose here, I'm sure he's doing everything he can to rectify his mistakes of 2016, why wouldn't he be?

Or do you think he WANTS to lose his job?

I'm not interested in just making the finals like we did in 13/14/15 and bombing out in the Elim. I want to win multiple games when we get there.

After missing out in 2016 and after all the changes we made will we finally win our first final in 2017 since 2001?

Here's your chance to vote ! Yes or No (no maybe's)

*Opposition trolls your names will be published if you vote in the poll and your votes will be removed ! This poll is solely for BigFooty Richmond supporters ONLY.*

Poll will close some time in October.
We'll win three.
Easy Peasy.

I think we will.

Last year we were terrible and only fell short of the 8 by 4/5 games, 2 of which we found a way to lose.
Our midfield was flogged to death and was one dimensional. Our forwards were starved, but our conversion, surprisingly, was very good when we went inside 50. We will go inside 50 heaps more this season. The addition of Prestia and Caddy and the flow on effect will ease the load on our back line who have proven they can stop plenty of goals when the mids do their job.

We will finish 5th and win our first final.

BOOKMARK IT

I think that's part of Hardwicks cunning plan, let everyone think there will Bea new game plan but then revert to the awful slow high possession plan of 2016. Unfortunately for us, the tiger faithful our great stable board decided early last year to grant him a further two years of contract. Thus he is just as likely to consider a new style sometime next year.

Back