Port Adelaide
The squad is:

B: Michael Wilson, Darryl Wakelin, Peter Walsh
HB: Brett Montgomery, Chad Cornes, Adam Kingsley
C: Aaron Shattock, Roger James, Domenic Cassisi
HF: Damon White, Warren Tredrea, Stuart Dew
F: Gavin Wanganeen, Matt Primus, Michael Pettigrew
Foll: Dean Brogan, Kane Cornes, Josh Francou
Interchange from: Stuart Cochrane, Troy Chaplin, Brett Ebert, Ben Eckermann, Stephen Gilham, Brendon Lade, Jared Poulton

IN: Eckermann, Gilham, Poulton, Wilson
OUT: Surjan (tibia/fibula joint sprain)

... but will he play? Cochrane is still there as well. Eckermann on the emergency list - interesting.

I must've missed the part where Eckermann on the emergency list is more interesting than Gilham making the extended bench!

Onya Splinter!

No Symes is disappointing though.

Whats all the love for Poults for. He's yesterdays man. With youngsters like Chaplain, Grew and Gilham we'd be going backwards to play Poults. Great trier and a true Port boy, but he's not good enough for the Port Adelaide FC of 2005.

PowerKop said:
Whats all the love for Poults for. He's yesterdays man. With youngsters like Chaplain, Grew and Gilham we'd be going backwards to play Poults. Great trier and a true Port boy, but he's not good enough for the Port Adelaide FC of 2005.

Now i know why i dont like you :mad:

That would have to surely be the strongest spine in the AFL of the moment

Wakelin
Cornes
James
Tredrea
Primus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PowerKop said:
Whats all the love for Poults for. He's yesterdays man.......
For Heaven's sake!
Port didn't always have an AFL Premiership and a powerful list of top AFL players. From 1997 brave but limited players like Poults, Cochrane, Lyle, Schofield etc have topped up our team and made us competetive.
I know approximately how often Poults will get the ball. I know roughly what will happen if he does. But I love the guy. In my mind he is the epitome of what makes the PAFC great. If he makes the cut he will chew the Cows to pieces.

Poults is the right "type" of player for a game like a Showdown-tough and hard. There's other matches he probably wouldn't be as well suited to but he'd love the challenge of playing the cows.

Buggers up the maggies a bit tho. Que sera sera.....

At the risk of earning cba's ire, may I wad into the Poults debate?

I love the bloke's desire. It's clear that he is passionate about the club and his footy. That was sufficient for us at one stage in our development. However, we are now past that point and need skilful, smart players to be able to step up. Unfortunately, this is Poulton's weakness. He just burns the ball too much when he gets possession. When our gameplan revolves around hard running out of defence, to have someone who burns it as regularly as he does puts us in a bad position. The ball is likely to come back over defenders' heads and thus next time going forward, the free-running backs will not have the confidence to run ahead of the ball. Thus, our advantage is lost and we have put in place a different, unfamiliar gameplan.

All of this would suggest to me that Poults doesn't really have a place in our system any more. However, if Jack was coaching, the situation would probably be different.

Our SANFL players;

Ellis at CHF for Eagles
Thomson HFF Sturt
Eckermann Int Sturt
RFK HBF South
Symes Int Centrals
Ware Int Centrals
Pearce Reserves Sturt
Ezard Reserves West
Deluca Reserves Sturt
Peel Reserves Eagles

Can't think/find any others. North with the bye.

It looks like Poults may be playing. Which I don't mind despite my protestations earlier in the week. If we can use him as a battering ram in the midfield I won't care too much.

However assuming Gilham and Eckermann are emergencies, who is dropped from this group - Cochrane, Chaplin, Ebert, Lade, Poulton?

Ebert and Lade would stay leaving Cochrane, Chaplin and Poulton as possible emergencies. Would seem strange to have Cochrane as an injured emergency so I can see Poulton possibly being an emergency and coming into the squad if the Roach can't get up.

If Cochrane comes up, I'd expect Chaplin to be the unlucky one. Last week he wound up bench sitting, which affected our midfield rotations with Surjan injured. Neither James or Wilson are match ready so you'd want some extra run on the bench. Then again Chaplin hasn't been named with Sturt, so Cochrane must be in serious doubt.

That was what I thought, surely if they were going to list Chaplin as an emergency they'd let Sturt know to enable them to include him somewhat in their planning. Good for the player and the clubs. I agree that the Roach is in serious doubt.

Also I think Chaplin would be a good match up for Perrie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back