2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Woodville

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ah Chee has done alright thus far this season, in terms of SANFL level.
Nonsense. Wouldn't have a spot if he wasn't on the AFL list and thus guaranteed to be played. Barely sighted against Norwood. Everybody had a zillion possessions against Glenleg. A few seagull possessions against the Eagles yesterday. Which Maggies' games have you been to this year and why you think he has done alright?

Weird that. The third quarter they outplayed us, especially the 1st 2/3 of that quarter, and they came back strongly on the scoreboard. Then the final quarter they abjectly surrendered for no reason. They spent it almost 100% flooding our forward zone and trying to defend a 5 goal deficit, which slowly blew out accordingly. One of the stranger coaching performances I've seen.

And that pretty much sums up Butcher's game IMO. Defensively he was excellent with tackles, harassment and second efforts. But he had no room to move with all the yellow jumpers back there. I reckon that's why Hocking moved him across half back, to give him some space to clunk a mark or 2.

Really liked the way Bruggerman reads the play and uses his body.

Looking at those highlights, there was virtually zero pressure on the Maggies, particularly when they were running through half forward.
Some of those handoffs that resulted in goals, eg one to Hitchcock, when he had enough space and time to go out to his car and collect his sunnies before slotting the goal, had to be seen to be believed.

Upgrading blokes from that game could be akin to a kid making a hundred in the back yard at mums against a tennis ball, and the next week facing Michael Holding and Andy Roberts with a new cherry on boxing day at the MCG, the difference in the pressure applied by geebung will be that great.

The kid has progressed a 'little' further than last season in the trials and against Glenelg. Yesterday he wasn't terrible. He is not a class act player and maybe never will be but alright means average. Been to all three games plus the trials. Forget Norwood, only a couple of players stood to be counted that night.

I've enjoyed the domination and certainly am wishing for more dominating games but it doesn't help AFL readiness in the long term.

Adam Newton appears to have turned the corner. Twelve months ago I thought he would not make it at AFL level but now he is a chance of being called up at some stage this season. That is not to say he is a star in the making but he has made progress.

Was good to see Heath back out there too. Played across the half back line. He and Clurey just sat behind the play for the entire last qtr mopping up any quick kick out of the eagles defence.

As has already been said, John Butcher is in the 2nd year of a 3 year contract, so if the club is going to trade him it will need to be at the end of this season, or he could walk at the end of 2015 for nothing, ( a 2nd round draft pick at best ).

You would have to assume the club has had his eyesight checked, and if it has and he has been given the all clear there would obviously have to be another reason for his poorly timed leads.
I was talking to a mate in melbourne about Butch a season or two ago and he told me that in his under 18 days he seldom lead but relied on his ability to take pack marks.
There is absolutely no way an AFL forward can rely on pack marks for his bread and butter today, the competition is too strong.

A number of posters on TPFP said last year that Ken McGregor wanted to try him at chb, but was told no, in hindsight that may have been the wrong call, as having a straight run at the ball from defence could have given him the confidence to attack the ball harder and made him a better player today.

The bottom line is his AFL career is very much at the cross roads, Mitch Harvey has already shown more in his first year than Butch, ie he knows how to create space, can take a strong mark, is much better balanced and is a beautiful kick.

Like it or lump it the pressure is clearly on Butch to perform, he must take a SANFL game by the scruff of the neck and deliver, something he has been unable to do so far, or Harvey and possibly Shaw as well will go straight past him in the pecking order.

As a footnote, I agree with Macca's assessment of Butch from the game against the gay bays, ie he got most of his 5 goals playing like a small forward

A number of posters on TPFP said last year that Ken McGregor wanted to try him at chb, but was told no, in hindsight that may have been the wrong call, as having a straight run at the ball from defence could have given him the confidence to attack the ball harder and made him a better player today.

It might still be worth trying him as a tall defender. As discussed in the KP depth thread, his defensive pressure and speed are great, his field kicking seems fine, and with the opportunity to attack the ball from a defensive perspective his aerial work could improve.

It might still be worth trying him as a tall defender. As discussed in the KP depth thread, his defensive pressure and speed are great, his field kicking seems fine, and with the opportunity to attack the ball from a defensive perspective his aerial work could improve.

I agree, I was never a fan of this idea but I think the time has come. Even if it's only for a learning tool/confidence booster for a month. I would persist with him forward for another 2-3 games but then we need to seriously look at it if there's no improvement. We just cannot keep doing the same thing over and over.

Went to the game yesterday, the highlight yesterday was putting $30 @ $8 for a 40+ plus win for the Maggies, an easy $240 payout thank you very much!

Best Players for me was Mitchell, Newton, Moore, P Stewart, Hitchcock, Summerton and Neade. I think any one of Newton, P Stewart or Moore deserves a call up this week to play against Geelong.

The worst as been said many times in this thread was Butcher. He was lost yesterday, was absolutely terrible.

Went to the game yesterday, the highlight yesterday was putting $30 @ $8 for a 40+ plus win for the Maggies, an easy $240 payout thank you very much!

Best Players for me was Mitchell, Newton, Moore, P Stewart, Hitchcock, Summerton and Neade. I think any one of Newton, P Stewart or Moore deserves a call up this week to play against Geelong.

The worst as been said many times in this thread was Butcher. He was lost yesterday, was absolutely terrible.
Cheers for the review.
In regards to Butch, the only good thing is that perhaps we can afford him some time just like we did with Lobbes. There's no guarantee that Butch will do the same thing but we may possibly be in a position to find out for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was my first sanfl game of the year.

No idea where I sit after watching that game. I guess I was hoping for more on an individual basis yet as a team I was very impressed.

Butcher needs to told to lead up at the ball carrier rather than trying to stay at home, when marking he needs to watch the ball and not feel for the push in the back.
Harvey needs to be put on a plane as often as possible to go watch NVolt play and learn what work rate is.
Our mids are solid without anyone putting there hand up and saying I am to good for this level.
The tackling for the first 50 minutes was incredible.
If we can keep that team on the park we will be hard to beat. However there is very little running around in the reserves.
DBJ looks to be very fatigued, Ahchee I still don't see afl for him
A tad harsh in some of that assesment I rekon. Newton is clearly a cut above the SANFL standard, as is Clurey, and I think Heath gave a solid account of himself in his first game for the year. If Mitchell can sharpen up his disposable he will also be far to good for the SANFL (This can happen, remember Jobe Watson in his first few years), and Neade also had his best game of the season so far. Your assesment makes me think your looking directly for negative things, and blantantly ignoring anything remotely positive.

Lachlan McGregor, Sam Martyn, Tasman Fitzgerald and Albert Dunstan all showed a little I thought, would have liked to watch them do their thing in a side where they could do as the pleased a little more.

I will admit I went as a supporter for the first time in years and accordingly did not take note of any individual in the eagles outfit. Nobody stood out at all saying I am to good for this level from the eagles. However from my memory of previous years the guys you mentioned will be good solid sanfl citizens if they want to.
Butcher and Harvey need to be taken to afl games and forced to watch the work Volt, kennedy and Roughead do to understand the work rate required.
Harvey a consistently let off the defensive intensity yesterday. Neither presented to the ball carrier and doubled back for the long ball, they just sat back and waited for the long kick.
As for Raka he had one passage of play in the reserves yesterday where he failed to rund down field after he had kicked it which illustrated why he is not on an AFL list.

A tad harsh in some of that assesment I rekon. Newton is clearly a cut above the SANFL standard, as is Clurey, and I think Heath gave a solid account of himself in his first game for the year. If Mitchell can sharpen up his disposable he will also be far to good for the SANFL (This can happen, remember Jobe Watson in his first few years), and Neade also had his best game of the season so far. Your assesment makes me think your looking directly for negative things, and blantantly ignoring anything remotely positive.

You are probably right about the tad harsh, but I am a tough judge. Not sure that I was looking for negative things, actually I know i wasn't but I saw some and yes my comments did focus on the negative as did your reply to my post.

Newton did a lot very good but there were times yesterday where his defensive work was rather poor, Moore struggled to spread, Mitchell is still off balance way to often when he kicks and really needs to learn to take a short step before kicking to get his balance right and his weight through his kick, Mitchell actually falls in to the trap of thinking if he takes a bigger step he will kick the ball better. Neade had a good game but didn't grab it by the scruff of the neck. Clurey is not to good for this level yet, but he certainly will be. Hard to judge Clurey and Heath on that game because they had so little to do. Heath is still the best kick at the club though, he was the only player able to be precise with long kicks into the wind.

I like the idea of Butcher at CHB but the AFL team is already strong in key defenders.

I actually thought Bruggerman was very influential in the first 15 minutes of the game.

You are probably right about the tad harsh, but I am a tough judge. Not sure that I was looking for negative things, actually I know i wasn't but I saw some and yes my comments did focus on the negative as did your reply to my post.

Newton did a lot very good but there were times yesterday where his defensive work was rather poor, Moore struggled to spread, Mitchell is still off balance way to often when he kicks and really needs to learn to take a short step before kicking to get his balance right and his weight through his kick, Mitchell actually falls in to the trap of thinking if he takes a bigger step he will kick the ball better. Neade had a good game but didn't grab it by the scruff of the neck. Clurey is not to good for this level yet, but he certainly will be. Hard to judge Clurey and Heath on that game because they had so little to do. Heath is still the best kick at the club though, he was the only player able to be precise with long kicks into the wind.

I like the idea of Butcher at CHB but the AFL team is already strong in key defenders.

I actually thought Bruggerman was very influential in the first 15 minutes of the game.
You're spot on with Mitchells kicking, in Newtons defense I thought he lacked the pace to play on his man, make of that what you will. Butcher, currently doesnt have clean enough hands for CHB in my opinion, I have thought about him playing on a wing, his forward 50 entries have been serviceable this year. I'll agree with Clureys total package not being to good for this level, his body work needs work, but his exit kick from defense is elite, as good as any defender I've seen, at either SANFL or AFL level.

Bruggerman tries hard. I was a bit surprised considering the conditions that Haren did not get a bigger look in the ruck. Brug just sort of stands there and lets the opposion ruckman bash into him all day.

All in all I think we will have a pretty good year, looking forward to playing Norwood again.

Brad Ebert was also at the game and going by this photo I missed Jack Hombsch

421172-0eac3af4-c91c-11e3-8b07-57e86dfa8098.jpg

Looking at those highlights, there was virtually zero pressure on the Maggies .....
Your point is generally valid, but WWT were able to apply genuine pressure at times and watching our AFL-listed players then was useful. I'd say any of us who were there and now posting on the game are taking that into account. For example IMO nothing from the final quarter is of any use at all for Power selection.

Neade was a bit unlucky to get taken off for a fairly long spell in the second quarter. When he came back on Port had started wandering mentally and he found it hard to get back into the game.

His last quarter produced some electric running and genuine workrate.

Your point is generally valid, but WWT were able to apply genuine pressure at times and watching our AFL-listed players then was useful. I'd say any of us who were there and now posting on the game are taking that into account. For example IMO nothing from the final quarter is of any use at all for Power selection.
I second this Powerstufff. Some good tackling pressure especially early on in the game but the Eagles were spent by the last quarter and content to try and minimise any further damage to their percentage.
But the highlights package 1954 was commenting on looked like a game of Aussie rules touch football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back