Draft Watcher Young Talent Time - A 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
5. Brisbane - Sam Mayes (187cm midfielder - North Adelaide)
23. Brisbane - Aidan Corr (194cm defender - Northern Knights)
27. Brisbane - Marco Paparone (193cm forward - East Fremantle)

I won't comment on the players just yet, but I reckon you've got the mix about perfect for Brissy. A classy mid/fwd + KPD + KPF is just about spot on IMO. :thumbsu:

If you're looking for ball winning ability and skills, then it would be Toumpas, Kennedy and then Menzel. The first two are more accomplished midfielders and better ball winners.
Thanks Chris. Hopefully we will have at least two of those to choose from come our first pick.

I just can't see Toumpass getting past Port Adelaide. Even if we have a higher pick than you have us at, we will still take him.
Hard to see why you wouldn't, he's an exceptional player... probably better than Wingard IMO.

If Menzel develops an engine which I think he has the ability to do, then he'd become a more complete AFL footballer than Toumpas or Kennedy with his dangerous ability up forward.

For now Toumpas and Kennedy ahead of him for ball-winning and delivering though Menzel is a lovely kick of the footy. Toumpas is a powerful footballer, could be playing AFL right now and doing pretty well.

Kennedy has the Marc Murphy's about him but a peg or two down in class. If he tidies up his disposal like Murphy has (lets face it Murphy used to helicopter the ball a lot in his younger days) he could end up just a peg below Murphy at AFL level. Needs to hit the gym though as he is pretty small

I think Vlastuin could easily come in next year, and ultimately replace Shane Tuck. Not sure he'd necessarily get through to Richmond's pick though. When I initially did this draft, the top 3 looked like this...

1. Melbourne - Lachie Whitfield
2. Melbourne - Brodie Grundy
3. Gold Coast - Nick Vlastuin

I actually think Vlastuin would be the perfect fit for the Gold Coast, probably a better all round fit than Whitfield. So, where they finish on the ladder could decide a lot.

Yarran can do both - he marks and crumbs. You'll probably be able to find a better natural crumbing forward later on in the draft, but Yarran is a very well rounded small forward. He doesn't really leave the forward 50 too often, but he is good enough to do that.

Alex Howson is just as much a tall forward as he is a tall defender. In the WAFL, he plays up forward. But it looks like he'll be down back in the Championships. Never hurts to have another tall like that on your list. Maybe you'd look at another midfielder instead though, perhaps another runner as opposed to another bigger body player like Marsh?

Thanks for the reply Chris,

Agree that we might be hard pressed to get Vlastuin especially if our form doesn't drop away as we tire later in the year. We may have to 'settle' for a Menzel, O'Rourke type or even an Atkins or Wines.

Yarran to me just appears lazy. Can cherry-pick some goals but I guess at the same time he can be very damaging with very limited possessions so that can be a big positive.

Agree we probably won't go 2 big bodied players with Vlastuin and Marsh. Who are some of the running types that could be available at our pick? We could definitely do with an injection of pace to help our running game out a bit.

I like your selection of Plowman for the bulldogs, although with the selection of Talia last year I wouldn't see these two being CHB and FB as they are both a little undersized from what I've heard. If we were to select Plowman I would see him as more of a replacement for Ryan Hargrave, a guy who has turned himself into a 200 game player and well respected guy at the club. They are both of around the same height too. Just a question on Plowman, is he capable of playing a shutdown role on talls and smalls, to go with his dangerous rebound? would see him as maybe being that mid-tall defender who can play more than one kind of role IMO. Hargrave is really our 'fourth tall' with Lake, Morris and Williams and all four in our best 22 easily, with Hargrave closest to retirement. thoughts?

May get a ruck from rookie draft so could be best available. Just my opinion but on that what do you think the best bets for us are come draft?

In terms of ruckmen, it isn't the greatest draft really. Much like last year.

Grundy is the clear #1, and McBean would be #2 - although I tend to think his value is slightly higher than it should be due to the lack of talls behind him. But after those two, there are a lot of guys around the 195-197cm mark who rotate through the ruck. Which isn't really ideal for AFL.

Lewis Pierce from Vic Country is one who could start to climb and be that third guy. Has been injured for most of the last two seasons, but has shown some promising signs. Outside of him it's largely overage guys or players that are tied to other clubs (Moller, McGillivray).

Who is the best rebounding CHB in this years crop?

I would probably say Aidan Corr. I've seen a couple of his games where he actually played on a wing, as opposed to staying in the back lines. I'd probably like to see him play a true full back role at some stage during the Championships, but otherwise he is looking good.

Agree we probably won't go 2 big bodied players with Vlastuin and Marsh. Who are some of the running types that could be available at our pick? We could definitely do with an injection of pace to help our running game out a bit.

Well, initially I had Josh Simpson going to Richmond with your first pick. Really natural footballer, and a good runner. He'd definitely add that something different to your midfield. Shannon Taylor would be another option in later rounds, he isn't unlike Shane Edwards.

And although it may not be what Richmond need, there are always guys who provide run off half back - Haynes, Wright, Irra, Colquhoun. They could help out through the midfield too.

In terms of ruckmen, it isn't the greatest draft really. Much like last year.

Grundy is the clear #1, and McBean would be #2 - although I tend to think his value is slightly higher than it should be due to the lack of talls behind him. But after those two, there are a lot of guys around the 195-197cm mark who rotate through the ruck. Which isn't really ideal for AFL.

Lewis Pierce from Vic Country is one who could start to climb and be that third guy. Has been injured for most of the last two seasons, but has shown some promising signs. Outside of him it's largely overage guys or players that are tied to other clubs (Moller, McGillivray).

I would probably say Aidan Corr. I've seen a couple of his games where he actually played on a wing, as opposed to staying in the back lines. I'd probably like to see him play a true full back role at some stage during the Championships, but otherwise he is looking good.

Well, initially I had Josh Simpson going to Richmond with your first pick. Really natural footballer, and a good runner. He'd definitely add that something different to your midfield. Shannon Taylor would be another option in later rounds, he isn't unlike Shane Edwards.

And although it may not be what Richmond need, there are always guys who provide run off half back - Haynes, Wright, Irra, Colquhoun. They could help out through the midfield too.

Hi Chris.

Good news with Lewis Pierce. He is playing for VC this weekend v QLD on the back of one and a half school games. Will be an interested spectator this weekend.

You have Plowman fairly high in your pre-championship mock. Do you think because of his injury his stock will decrease as a result. Also, do you know how long he is out for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Chris,

Do you think he will be available at the Crows 1st pick?

There also seems to be a plethora of undersized Rucks in this years crop. Do you think we could see a move away from the 200cm+ bigman. Instead looking at more blokes that are simply pinch hitters with other strings to their bow?

You have Plowman fairly high in your pre-championship mock. Do you think because of his injury his stock will decrease as a result. Also, do you know how long he is out for?

Won't last past Melbournes first compo pick.

That would be extraordinarily high for a defender. Rance was the last highly touted defender and still slipped significantly. What am I missing with this kid?

Edit: I don't count Watts or Gibbs as "defenders being picked with the first pick". :p

So if you finish 16th, you think you'll use pick 4 on him? Seems pretty high.

This is how I see the first 4 picks going (at least, until recently):
1. GWS/GC - Whitfield
2. GWS/GC - Stringer (would be Grundy, but GC won't take him, and GWS wont look at another young ruck, they'll go for an experienced one)
3. Melb - Viney
4. Melb - Grundy

But now with Jamar re-signing im not so sure. Dees might not take Grundy now, and go for another mid instead. If we finish 15th (hopefully not), I can't see us picking up Grundy either, since we already have heaps of young ruckmen.
So someone could potentially get a massive bargain on him. Brisbane wouldn't use their high pick on him either, taking Longer last year. So maybe Port?

Starting to look very interesting that bottom part of the ladder.

Early days, but what odds we could be playing the Hogan Cup in Rd 22?
Haha. Quite a chance, you'd think. A lot of our supporters are wanting us to take 2 mids, but I want a KPF. A highly rated one, for once.

You guys would be looking at similar players to us (quick, skillful mids, KPF) so I'll be cheering for you to do well all year :thumbsu::p

Haha. Quite a chance, you'd think. A lot of our supporters are wanting us to take 2 mids, but I want a KPF. A highly rated one, for once.

You guys would be looking at similar players to us (quick, skillful mids, KPF) so I'll be cheering for you to do well all year :thumbsu::p

Right backatcha. :thumbsu:

At least we've only got one pick for you to worry about...

That would be extraordinarily high for a defender. Rance was the last highly touted defender and still slipped significantly. What am I missing with this kid?

Edit: I don't count Watts or Gibbs as "defenders being picked with the first pick". :p

Hurley was the last, pick 5.

I think he's rated as being extremely versatile, and a freak talent in terms of skill level... that said I've never watched him play so I'm just going off what I've heard.

So if you finish 16th, you think you'll use pick 4 on him? Seems pretty high.

This is how I see the first 4 picks going (at least, until recently):
1. GWS/GC - Whitfield
2. GWS/GC - Stringer (would be Grundy, but GC won't take him, and GWS wont look at another young ruck, they'll go for an experienced one)
3. Melb - Viney
4. Melb - Grundy

But now with Jamar re-signing im not so sure. Dees might not take Grundy now, and go for another mid instead. If we finish 15th (hopefully not), I can't see us picking up Grundy either, since we already have heaps of young ruckmen.
So someone could potentially get a massive bargain on him. Brisbane wouldn't use their high pick on him either, taking Longer last year. So maybe Port?

Starting to look very interesting that bottom part of the ladder.

Yeah, I'd say Melbourne would pick him up with 4.

I wouldn't be taking Grundy when, for one, history shows you have just as much chance of nailing a ruck in the rookie draft then in the national draft (let alone the first 5 picks) and secondly we have a heap of developing ruck options - Gawn in particular is highly rated by the club and showed some really pleasing signs in his second AFL season as a ruck.

Hurley was the last, pick 5.

I think he's rated as being extremely versatile, and a freak talent in terms of skill level... that said I've never watched him play so I'm just going off what I've heard.

Hurley was largely drafted as a forward though, IMO.

Hi Chris.

Good news with Lewis Pierce. He is playing for VC this weekend v QLD on the back of one and a half school games. Will be an interested spectator this weekend.

That is good news. I'll be another interested spectator on Sunday. I hope he does well, we need another 18 year old ruckman to really step up before the draft.

I think Plowman will be out for another 4-5 weeks, so he'll return for the end of the TAC Cup season. As for his stock being hurt by the injury, I don't think it will be. Generally, the top players will have been decided on before the Championships anyway. And Plowman had performed very well prior to his injury. The recruiters will know what they're getting into.

Cheers Chris,

Do you think he will be available at the Crows 1st pick?

There also seems to be a plethora of undersized Rucks in this years crop. Do you think we could see a move away from the 200cm+ bigman. Instead looking at more blokes that are simply pinch hitters with other strings to their bow?

Firstly, I would imagine Corr would be available at the Crows pick. He'd probably have a second round grade on him I'd think.

And I doubt there will be any move away from 200cm guys. What you tend to see is guys who are actually 200cm+ being slightly overvalued, and taken earlier than what they may otherwise be. A lot of the 195cm guys who rotate through the ruck don't actually have the ruck smarts or ability to give their midfielders first possession - all they have is a reasonably big body. Which is why I think some players like Lewis Pierce or even some 19/20 year old ruckmen could find themselves in National Draft calculations.

What would be the chance of Stringer slipping through to the dogs do you think?
After hearing Macca on the couch it seems as though he is fairly confident about our talls and is looking for a mid-sized forward who can also be a good player through the middle (like a Darling I presume?). Stringer seems to fit that bill really well.

I guess it would have to be something like this:
1: GWS - Whitfield
2: GC - Toumpas?
3: MELB - Viney
4: MELB - Grundy
5: WB - Stringer?
6: WB - next best mid or Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back