Re-do the 2023 draft (Rolling edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it too soon? Of course! We're a third of the way through Season 1. But we've seen how certain players have looked against grown men. Some guys have definitely put their hand up as being good selections. Here is my top 10:

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Colby McKercher
4. Darcy Wilson
5. Caleb Windsor
6. Zane Duursma
7. Ethan Reid
8. Jake Rogers
9. Will Graham
10. O'Sullivan

Is it too soon? Of course! We're a third of the way through Season 1. But we've seen how certain players have looked against grown men. Some guys have definitely put their hand up as being good selections. Here is my top 10:

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Colby McKercher
4. Darcy Wilson
5. Caleb Windsor
6. Zane Duursma
7. Ethan Reid
8. Jake Rogers
9. Will Graham
10. O'Sullivan

Connor '1 game' O'Sullivan higher than Nick Watson?

Nick Watson has been underwhelming this year. 0.8 goals from a ready made top 10 forward pocket is underwhelming. He literally missed a goal from the goal square last week. He played his first decent game on the weekend.

He's averaging a score every 16 minutes he's been on the field.

How many forward pockets in poor sides have 14 scoring shots from their first 4 and a half games?

10 disposals, 7 score involvements and 2 goals in a low scoring slog on the weekend was super impressive from a 5th gamer.

Zane Durrsma has already been dropped to the reserves playing in possibly the worst side we've ever seen take the field. And you still have him 6th.

He's averaging a score every 16 minutes he's been on the field.

How many forward pockets in poor sides have 14 scoring shots from their first 4 and a half games?

10 disposals, 7 score involvements and 2 goals in a low scoring slog on the weekend was super impressive from a 5th gamer.

Zane Durrsma has already been dropped to the reserves playing in possibly the worst side we've ever seen take the field. And you still have him 6th.
Be honest, have you been underwhelmed with Watson or not. I would drop Duursma down the rankings a bit now.

Be honest, have you been underwhelmed with Watson or not. I would drop Duursma down the rankings a bit now.

Not underwhelmed in the slightest.

Disappointed for him that he hasn't nailed all his chances, but with young players it's all about looking for signs of elite talent. He's generating so many scoring opportunities that once that worm turns those who doubted him will look a bit silly.

Not underwhelmed in the slightest.

Disappointed for him that he hasn't nailed all his chances, but with young players it's all about looking for signs of elite talent. He's generating so many scoring opportunities that once that worm turns those who doubted him will look a bit silly.
but missing his chances is literally what has been disappointing. His skills aren't that great. he's missed so many easy shots. He may turn into a good afl player but I've seen nothing that screams elite.

but missing his chances is literally what has been disappointing. His skills aren't that great. he's missed so many easy shots. He may turn into a good afl player but I've seen nothing that screams elite.

The 70+ goals at under 18 level not enough?

The fact you're writing off a top 4 draft pick as 'potentially a good AFL player' and nothing more after 5 games is absolutely absurd.

Especially considering he IS having an impact and would likely be in rising star calculations if he'd kicked a bit straighter.

What did you think of Lance Franklin and his career prospects the day he kicked 2.11?

Lewis Jetta started his career by kicking 0.16 if memory serves me correct.

Anyone dropping Duursma down the "rankings" because he started slowly didnt watch him play VFL for Casey last season. He was always going to be a slow burn. It doesnt change the elite attributes that made him a high draft pick.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Colby McKercher
4. Darcy Wilson
5. Caleb Windsor
6. Zane Duursma
7. Ethan Reid
8. Jake Rogers
9. Will Graham
10. O'Sullivan
I'm actually super confused by this thread. Are your rankings based on the recent form of the players? Or are you seriously suggesting that these kids should have been drafted in a different order based off all of 8 games worth of evidence in their first season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 70+ goals at under 18 level not enough?

The fact you're writing off a top 4 draft pick as 'potentially a good AFL player' and nothing more after 5 games is absolutely absurd.

Especially considering he IS having an impact and would likely be in rising star calculations if he'd kicked a bit straighter.

What did you think of Lance Franklin and his career prospects the day he kicked 2.11?

Lewis Jetta started his career by kicking 0.16 if memory serves me correct.
Becoming a good afl player isn't writing a player off. There's a 50% bust rate with top 10 picks anyway so that would still be a win. I'm not sure why you're talking about Buddy. Buddy was a key forward and he showed promise right from the beginning. Watson is a ready made, forward pocket whose sole job is to take his chances.

I'm actually super confused by this thread. Are your rankings based on the recent form of the players? Or are you seriously suggesting that these kids should have been drafted in a different order based off all of 8 games worth of evidence in their first season?
Just recent form. But there is absolutely no doubt that a bloke like Darcy Wilson would've gone earlier now. That's without question.

Just recent form. But there is absolutely no doubt that a bloke like Darcy Wilson would've gone earlier now. That's without question.

It's on recent form but you still have Connor O'Sullivan in the top 10 who has played 1 game, and not the number 4 pick who is averaging 3.3 shots on a goal a game.

It would have made more sense to base this redraft thread on your own opinions of how the players will project in the future.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Colby McKercher
4. Darcy Wilson
5. Caleb Windsor
6. Zane Duursma
7. Ethan Reid
8. Jake Rogers
9. Will Graham
10. O'Sullivan
Darcy Wilson ... 2022 draft

How about Harvey Thomas instead?

It's on recent form but you still have Connor O'Sullivan in the top 10 who has played 1 game, and not the number 4 pick who is averaging 3.3 shots on a goal a game.

It would have made more sense to base this redraft thread on your own opinions of how the players will project in the future.
Skinny key position kid debut-ing for a top 6 team is probably ahead of expectations.

Becoming a good afl player isn't writing a player off. There's a 50% bust rate with top 10 picks anyway so that would still be a win. I'm not sure why you're talking about Buddy. Buddy was a key forward and he showed promise right from the beginning. Watson is a ready made, forward pocket whose sole job is to take his chances.
Franklin averaged 1.7 shots a game in his first season for a total of 34 shots at goal in 20 games

Watson has had 14 shots in 5 games for an average of 2.8 shots a game so far (its over 3 if you include his out on the full shots.)

Jai Amiss had 58 shots at goal in 2023 (his 2nd year) in 22 games for 2.6. shots at goal a game.

Kysaiah Pickett had 20 shots in 14 games in his first year at an average of 1,4 shots a game.

Even the great Cyril Rioli had 43 shots in 25 games for 1,7 shots a game.

Jesse Hogan had 3.15 shots a game in his first year over 20 games.

Watson's accuracy will come and when it does watch out. His pressure off the ball is also excellent. Check out the bulldogs game where he brings the ball to ground and forces a turnover with his pressure in a 2 v 1.

Skinny key position kid debut-ing for a top 6 team is probably ahead of expectations.
If this is the case Calsher Dear must be top 10 for kicking 2 goals on debut as a skinny key forward…

Just a pointless thread and your opinions about Watson show a severe lack of knowledge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back