Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Enjoy the draft. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Round 1

1. GWS - Lachie Whitfield (184cm midfielder - Dandenong)

Whitfield has been considered the obvious #1 pick all season now, and it's pretty easy to see why - so much of what he does could already be classified elite amongst AFL players. His foot skills, off either leg, are exceptional and he always seems to make the right decision with ball in hand too. He also has a really unique combination of speed and endurance, so he will run all day long. Lachie has played all over the ground this season, spending a lot of time up forward and across half back. But he is a midfielder. All year, I've said he will likely cop unfair criticism for his inside game and some people have already started. But his inside game really isn't that bad. Yes, he isn't going to crash into packs and knock the ball out like some players. But there is more than one way to get a clearance, and he uses his smarts and positioning to get his. I think he is like Ablett in that regard. So I would have very few (if any) concerns about taking him at #1, the only reason he wouldn't go here would be if GWS really wanted a ruckman instead and weren't able to get another early pick in a trade. AFL Comparison: Gary Ablett.

2. GWS - Brodie Grundy (202cm ruckman - Sturt)

Grundy is without a doubt my favourite ruckman to come through the draft in quite some time. You can't compare him to Naitanui because they are so different, but I would rate him well above Kreuzer. He is a much stronger and physically imposing player on the field, and like all modern ruckmen, he becomes a midfielder the moment the ball hits the ground. Maybe most importantly, is the fact that he is a very good tap ruckman. It's not like he just some athletic big guy or a 110kg monster. Throw in the ability to go forward and take really strong contested marks, and I have no doubts he'll be a multiple time All Australian ruckman by the end of his career. And as for his debut season, he'd be capable of playing the majority of the season and seriously challenge for the Rising Star - a year playing against men in the SANFL has prepared him for early action. AFL Comparison: Dean Cox.

3. GWS - Jake Stringer (191cm forward - Bendigo)

I suppose nobody has been talked about more than Jake Stringer this year. Everyone seems to like him and want him to do well, but then everyone seems to that niggling feeling in the back of the head that is too much of a risk. Coming off the injuy he had, it's a credit to him that he is even back playing this year. The kid was not only playing but starring in the TAC Cup as a 16 year old. His first three games in the TAC Cup this year were quite remarkable - 10.6 from 23 disposals, 4.6 from 20 disposals and 0.3 from 31 disposals. To perform like that so early should tell you all you need to know about him as a person. He was managed slightly through the middle of the year, but ended up making his VFL debut and looked really good both up forward and in the middle. There are questions over whether he has returned to full fitness and if he has his acceleration back. I would say he is nearing full fitness, and provided there are no setbacks, should be back and ready by preseason. There were times in his VFL games, when you could swear you were looking at pre-injury Stringer. I tend to think he'll start primarily up forward, where he knows how to use his body and natural strength to almost perfection. And will slowly begin to move into the midfield rotations, and he should be back to dominating the midfield in no time. AFL Comparison: Matthew Pavlich.

4. Melbourne - Jimmy Toumpas (183cm midfielder - Woodville)

In terms of the South Australian midfield, Toumpas is the pick of the bunch and should be the second midfielder taken after Whitfield. A stand out performance in the SANFL finals series last year really announced Toumpas to the AFL world and he has continued from there. He is a very different player to Chad Wingard who was the first South Australian picked last year, but Jimmy is just as good in my eyes. Like Grundy, significant game time in the SANFL seniors has prepared him for AFL football and he'll be able to play Round 1 next year - and more than likely, he'll perform better than a lot of his teammates straight away. He is a genuine ball winning midfielder, and not only that, but he makes every disposal count. Playing through injury this year for SA, he was still named All Australian in the U18 Championships and really showed his natural skills and leadership in a game playing across half back. Oh, and did I mention he can go forward too? AFL Comparison: Jimmy Bartel.

5. Western Bulldogs - Sam Mayes (187cm midfielder - North Adelaide)

A lot was expected of Sam Mayes this year, and personally I think he has more than delivered. Some people have questioned his game on the basis that he isn't winning 20+ touches a game and being named BOG each week. But he is playing senior football for North Adelaide, and has been more than holding his own. That's more important than dominating against players your own age in my opinion. And his recent form in the SANFL finals will only help his standing. Last year, he played largely as a half forward - and while that role has continued this year, he has also spent a lot of time further up the ground. And that's where he will play at the next level. I see him as a really hard working and quick winger, in the Ryan Griffen mould. He has excellent endurance and speed, and arguably the best foot skills in the draft. Playing as a forward has also seen him develop his marking game to a really high level. Mayes is just a natural player, and is pure class. AFL Comparison: Ryan Griffen.

6. Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Plowman (191cm defender - Calder)

Along with Stringer, Lachie Plowman is probably on the more interesting players to watch in the first round. At the end of last season, he had well and truly set himself up to be the first defender taken in the draft. But then he suffered a serious elbow injury which saw him miss the U18 Championships this year, which of course means a lot of people would not have seen him play at all. But when he has played this year, he has been nothing short of excellent - named in the bests for Calder in each game he played. So despite the limited showings, I don't think it will hurt his standing. Teams will already know what he offers. He is a big strong kid at 191cm and 86kg, and I see no reason he couldn't come in next season and play as that third tall from the start. Despite his size, he really does move like a midfielder so he'd definitely add to the rebounding game of whatever team takes him. Eventually, I think he'll develop into a proper KPD taking on the best forwards. But in his debut season at least, he'd be that Ryan Hargave type defender. AFL Comparison: Chad Cornes.

7. Port Adelaide - Josh Simpson (183cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

If I had to take a guess, I would imagine that Josh Simpson is probably going to be the player that divides opinion the most this year. Coming into the season Simpson was one of my absolute favourites, and personally his move to WA has done nothing to dampen my expectations. He missed the start of the season with injury, but quickly returned to his best form with a number of strong performances for WA in the U18 Championships - including BOG in his return game. Admittedly, he hasn't had a dominant year in the WAFL Colts. But like a few players, I get the impression he is just waiting for next year and that is often the case in 'big game' players like Simpson. Last year he played mostly in the forward line, but he is a midfielder now and a good one at that. He has excellent speed and foot skills, I think he is perhaps the most natural footballer in the draft. Everything he does just looks right. The more I watch of Simpson, the less and less likely I believe it is he will slip. He is clearly a top 10 pick on talent, and I would find it difficult to pass on him after the top 5. AFL Comparison: Daniel Wells.

8. Brisbane - Troy Menzel (186cm midfielder - Central Districts)

By now, everyone knows about Troy Menzel and his knees. And it is those knees which will effectively decide where he gets picked on draft day. Because fully fit, he would be a top 5 selection without a second thought. He is arguably one of the most talented players on offer, both up forward and in the midfield. He showed what he could do up forward in the first two weeks of the U18 Championships, when he kicked 15 goals in two of the best games the Championships have seen. And he continued that form back in the SANFL, being a regular goal scorer for Central Districts in the league side. His kicking is absolutely top notch, as is general feel of the game. I tend to think he will largely be a forward at AFL level, but one who can have stints in the midfield. He'll play a similar level to Steve Johnson and Alan Didak, and who wouldn't take them in the first round? He can turn a game in a matter of minutes. But the issue is of course his body. He was hampered by a groin injury in the middle of the season, and obviously has his knee history. Personally, I'm not too concerned about the LARS surgery. Troy says it has been holding up well, so who am I judge considering I'm not a surgeon. The minor setback a few weeks ago may well stop some teams from taking him, but he'll be a bargain pick for a finals team. AFL Comparison: Steve Johnson.

9. Richmond - Oliver Wines (185cm midfielder - Bendigo)

I've been a fan of Oliver Wines for some time now. I remember seeing him live right at the start of the season, and it was impossible to not be impressed by him - even on the sidelines, I could hear him hitting the packs. And that is exactly what you get with Wines. He has really good endurance, which means he is always around the ball and inevitably at the bottom of each pack. I would probably rate Wines as the best clearance and contested ball player in the draft - ahead of Viney. He also has a strong set of hands, so isn't limited to just playing that one role. However I think his foot skills could see him drop closer to the 10-15 range. Don't get me wrong, his kicking is not bad at all. He'd probably be around the middle of the pack in terms of AFL players, he can just be a little inconsistent and can get under the ball a bit. I think he has been overrated a tad in terms of overall ability, he is more just a classic footballer and you know what you'll get from him each week. Might not win you games, but he'll do all the other stuff. AFL Comparison: Jordan Lewis.

10. Essendon - Joe Daniher (201cm forward - Calder)

Sorry Essendon fans, but you're not going to get a big write up from me on Joe Daniher. Everyone has known he will be a F/S pick, so to be honest I haven't really paid him as much attention as others. It's just seemed kind of pointless. While I might not have him the clear cut #1 pick, he is obviously a bargain pick for Essendon.

11. Carlton - Kristian Jaksch (194cm forward - Oakleigh)

Whoever decided to move Kristian Jaksch forward this year really deserves a lot of credit. If it wasn't for that move, then the tall forward stocks at the top of the draft would have looked really quite thin. As a defender, I had Jaksch going second/third round. He probably would have been about #5 on my list. But now as a forward, he is a legitimate first round pick and depending on team needs, could even be taken ahead of Mason Shaw. Despite his size, he isn't the strongest player going around. But that shouldn't be a big issue, because it's his work on the lead which is really impressive. He has a really good initial burst, which gives him a break on his opponent. Maybe that time spent down back has helped him as a forward. He is very strong overhead (both in terms of marking and spoiling), but can also be somewhat inconsistent with his marking - however he does generally seem to bring down the mark, even if it needs two grabs. Jaksch has still spent time down back since the Championships, so he will be able to play either role at the next level. But I'd be developing him as a forward, and only moving him back if it didn't work out. AFL Comparison: Nathan Bock.

12. GWS - Nick Vlastuin (187cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

Nick Vlastuin is an interesting prospect this year, he almost seems to be the forgotten man. At the start of the year he was very highly regarded, including as a possible top 5 pick. But it seems that people have just gone cold on him, and I don't know why. It can't be based on performances, because he has been excellent this year - All Australian in the U18 Championships, TAC Cup Team of the Year and generally just starring in every game he's played. Perhaps it's because he played largely off of half back for Vic Metro as opposed to the midfield, so people have stuck the tag of 'medium defender' on him? He isn't the most athletic player going around, but he offers so much. He is exceptionally strong and always hits the packs hard, he wins his own ball and brings his teammates into the game. Even in close, he is always clean with his hands and has a nice kick on him too. I'd be pretty confident in saying that he will captain whatever team drafts him, and he is the type of player who could really set the tone of a club on the field. AFL Comparison: Luke Hodge.

13. Gold Coast - Taylor Garner (186cm forward - Dandenong)

No doubting that Taylor Garner is one of the real surprise packets of this years draft, coming from a long way back to be considered a first round prospect. And while he might not be thought about as a top 10 pick, I'd be giving it a lot of thought. His performance in week three of the Championships against WA was probably the best performance of any player during the entire month in my opinion - and it was the culmination of his early season form. He just did everything you could possibly ask for. He took strong marks up forward, kicked goals and handed them off to teammates too. And then in the midfield, he won his own contested ball and used the ball really well. And he then ended up playing the rest of the Championships with a severely damaged shoulder, which he has since had reconstructed. Which says a lot about his attitude and determination. There aren't a lot of players with his size and overhead marking ability, who are also good in the contested situations. He does all the hard team stuff, but also the freakish things too. The possible rewards of picking Garner are huge in my opinion, he looks to be one of those modern day footballers. AFL Comparison: Nathan Fyfe.

14. GWS - Jackson Macrae (188cm midfielder - Oakleigh)

Without a doubt, Jackson Macrae is the flavour of the month at the moment. And he is well and truly deserving of such a title. His recent form has been excellent, and has obviously played a starring role in the TAC Cup finals series. His early season was inconsistent, but you could really see the signs of him getting ready to break out - and he did so in the Championships for Vic Metro, where he played as a really offensive minded winger. He won plenty of ball, and went forward to good effect. He is the perfect size for such a role, and has all the necessary traits - his agility would be elite amongst AFL players. He isn't the fastest straight line runner, but he just has that ability to dance around tacklers and get away from the packs. In regards to his kicking, it's hard to argue with his results this year but I'll be interested to see how it holds up to the increased speed of AFL. He can tend to loop the ball up in the air a bit, and while he is a long kick he may need to work on his penetration a little. But I've been saying for a month now to watch out for him in the top 10, and I think he'll be a good player. AFL Comparison: Farren Ray.

15. North Melbourne - Ben Kennedy (174cm midfielder - Glenelg)

I think most people would remember Ben Kennedy as the 17 year old who was nearly picked by the Crows last year, before they decided to go with Crouch instead. And nothing has really changed, he was deserving of a pick last year and he is deserving of a first round pick this year. Unfortunately, he has had a bit of an interrupted year this season. He started the year off with an injury, and with the U18 Championships, he has only managed the 10 games in the SANFL this season. But playing for SA, he absolutely dominated and won All Australian honours for the second year running. There has also been lots of talk around Kennedy and his (lack of) height, but who really cares? When you can win your own ball in the centre, link up on the outside, deliver the ball with real skill and kick goals, then it gets to a stage where you're willing to overlook something. And Kennedy does all those things are more. I think he'll be ready to go from Round 1 next year, likely starting in a forward pocket before making the move into the middle. In terms of previous first round 'short people', I'd rate Kennedy higher than both Dion Prestia and Devon Smith. AFL Comparison: Brent Harvey.

16. Geelong - Jonathan O'Rourke (183cm midfielder - Calder)

Jonathan O'Rourke is a really interesting prospect this year. Some people are talking him up as a top 5 pick, but I must say I just don't see it. Hence, this lower rating than what be considered normal. But his performances this year have been very good. O'Rourke missed a fair chunk of last year with injury issues, and he still has quite a bit of size to hopefully put on, but that hasn't stopped him this year. In his first game of the Championships, he was quiet and wasn't able to get involved much. But he showed why he is highly rated against SA. He is a very smart player and very impressive around the clearances. With quick hands, he can fire the ball out to his receivers. And he has a clean kick to go along with that. As for my 'concerns', I can't really put my finger on it. I guess I'm just not conviced as to what role he'll play at the next level up. If you hadn't seen him play before, you'd be forgiven for thinking he was more of an outside player because he doesn't look like your typical inside midfielder. And that might be my problem. He just doesn't seem to have the natural strength of say Jimmy Toumpas, so despite being the same size there looks to be a big difference between the two. AFL Comparison: David Mundy.

17. Fremantle - Mason Shaw (197cm forward - South Fremantle)

In my mind, Mason Shaw is the best key forward in the draft. This was obvious last year, and nothing has changed since then. He is an excellent mark, and just has that ability to really straighten a team up from the goal square. It's worth nothing that he will never be a 20+ disposal a game winner, but he doesn't need to be. He can kick 5 goals from just 10 touches. In fact, in his return game from a broken jaw this year, he kicked 8.4 from 12 disposals. And what more can you ask for from a full forward? Like many tall forwards, he can be a bit hot and cold but even on an off day he still generally bobs up for a couple of goals. He has copped some criticism this year for his performances, but in terms of statistics, his season has been just as good as last year. At times it has looked like he has just been waiting for the draft, but he is a big game player - as seen by his performances in the WAFL grand finals these last two years. To have kicked as many goals as he has in a year when he is just waiting to be drafted is a credit to him. If Shaw were a Victorian, than I'm sure TAC Cup Future Stars would have him as a top 10 pick as opposed to missing the first round. AFL Comparison: Josh Kennedy.

18. Collingwood - Nathan Hrovat (174cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

If there is one player that I'm struggling with the most, it would be Hrovat. The ball magnet from Vic Metro, I initially had Hrovat as a mid round option and while I should probably have him higher after his performances this year, I just can’t do it. Hrovat does win a lot of ball, and can do it himself or link up on the outside. But sometimes it seems as though his touches aren't as damaging as others – which I think will be key when it comes to his draft position. But having said that in the Championships, he was Metro's key clearance player and he delivered inside 50 well too. And he has since continued on with that solid form. So really, I can't criticise his performances this year at all. Some people have him as a first round pick, and purely on what he has produced this year that seems warranted. It's just the hurt factor that I would mark him down on, but I'm always rating flashy players ahead of the hard workers. And while he is on the short side that shouldn't count against him considering the recent trend of shorter players getting an opportunity, he also has a relatively strong body. AFL Comparison: Tom Liberatore.

19. Collingwood - Tom Clurey (193cm defender - Murray)

In terms of key defenders, Tom Clurey might well be my favourite prospect. He hasn't been the best performing defender by any means, but there is just that something there. Something that suggests he'll be a very good AFL defender. I thought he had a good U18 Championships for Vic Country, he wasn't a standout but he did his job. He played on the tall forwards each week, and was not only one out on the goal line but he also played further up the ground at CHB. And when he was given the opportunity to rebound, he generally set the play up with his kicking. Clurey is already a nice size for a defender, just has a little bit more muscle to put on. But he is a real leader in the back lines, and has the endurance to stay out on the ground all day while still matching it with his opponent. Sometimes you watch a player, and just think he would be the perfect fit for a certain team - and Clurey just seems like a typical Sydney KPP. And that is a compliment. AFL Comparison: Ted Richards.

20. Adelaide - Tim O'Brien (194cm forward - Glenelg)

O'Brien was my smokey out of South Australia coming into the season, as he had only played three games in the SANFL U18s last year - primarily as a back up ruckman. But he came down permanently from the country this year, and he did so with some big wraps on him in the SA U18 circles - he went straight into the SANFL Academy and the SA U18 team for the Championships. After playing largely as a ruckman for West Gambier, O'Brien has played at both ends of the ground this year - I initially thought he would play as a KPD but he went forward and had obvious success for SA in the Championships. He is a strong mark, and is excellent when the ball is on the ground for a tall forward. Not many players his height could even touch him in terms of athleticism. His ruckwork is quite good too, thanks to having quite a big leap. But I doubt ruckwork will factor in much when it comes to an AFL career. Look for him to be a late first round pick on draft day. AFL Comparison: Jarrad Waite.

21. Collingwood - Spencer White (194cm forward - Western Jets)

At the start of the year, I had White as one of my top KPFs to watch. That was based largely on potential rather than performances at the time, but as the year has gone on he has started to perform more consistently and I feel as though my initial rating was justified. Unfortunately for White, he had a quiet start to the season which saw him miss selection for Vic Metro in the U18 Championships. That was no doubt a big blow, but he has come back extremely well from that and kicked 30 goals in his last 10 TAC Cup games - that fact saw him upgraded from the State Screening to Draft Combine. And at the Combine, he definitely stood up and showed what he can do. He admittedly still has a long way to go, particularly needs to focus on what he does when he isn't kicking for goal because often he can go missing. But he is a big strong target up forward, is very good in the air and is an accurate shot on goal. What he offers that few others do though, is the athleticism to go with the size. He is a good runner and has an excellent leap. Give him the time, and I think he could be one of the better KPFs from this draft. AFL Comparison: Taylor Walker.

22. Western Bulldogs - Sam Colquhoun (179cm defender - Central Districts)

I chose Colquhoun as my 'one to watch' prior to the Championships, and he hasn't disappointed. In the lead up to the Championships, I had him around the third round mark but his performances for South Australia should see him go a lot higher than that. Where exactly is anyone's guess though. Straight after the Championships, the general consensus was top 15 but since then he has seemingly dropped way down the order - even down to the third round according to some. And I think the reason for this is because they haven't seen his late season SANFL form. In the Championships, he did play a purely attacking role across half back (and did so very well). But since then, he has proved that he is just as capable a defender both across half back and in the midfield. So any notion that he only works one way is wrong in my opinion. In terms of skills, Colquhoun would be one of the most dependable players in the draft - he just rarely makes a mistake, and always seems to pick the right option. I think he compares very well to Brad McKenzie from last year, who of course went in the first round. AFL Comparison: Heath Shaw.

23. Sydney - Nathan Wright (183cm midfielder - Dandenong)

I had Wright rated quite highly coming into the season, unfortunately he has had a few injury problems. But all that means, is that he is now one of the most underrated players in the draft. The good news though is that he is back now and showed some solid form in the Championships. So far he has tended to play more off of half back and he uses his run and dash to attack going forward. He can play defensive roles on the opposition forwards, but he is typically used in a more offensive role purely because of the impact he can have. But I also think he could make the move into the midfield, and be a good inside player. While he isn't going to be throwing himself head first into every pack, he is a more physical player than he is given credit for. He tackles really well, and has clean hands in the contest. And is just a tidy player all round. I think he has every right to be discussed as a first round pick. AFL Comparison: Corey Enright.

24. Brisbane - Tanner Smith (194cm defender - North Ballarat)

This has been a real development year for Tanner Smith. I think he is one of the better genuine key defenders in the draft. Typically is a bit of no fuss player. He sticks to his man all day, and doesn't give him a lot of room to move. On the lead, he doesn't get beaten very often as he has very good closing speed and just seems to have that ability to get a fist in there right when he needs to. He did have a few struggles against the really tall forwards like Shaw and Grundy in the Championships, but as he develops and gets stronger, I don't think he'll have too many issues there. He might not offer as much in terms of a rebounding game as others, but he is actually a fairly decent kick. So it's not going to be a case of avoiding him at all costs. But for a quality shut down player, you'd be willing to give something up. But when I say this has been a development year for Smith, it's because he has played a few different roles. He has done his usual job down back, but has also been moved forward and has done surprisingly well. That just adds versatility to his game, and should also help him improve as a defender. AFL Comparison: Chris Tarrant.

Round 2

25. St Kilda - Aidan Corr (194cm defender - Northern Knights)

In terms of the KPPs in this draft, Corr will be one of the more interesting ones to watch on draft day. He doesn't have the same profile as others, maybe because he is a defender and not a flashy forward. But he is maybe the most versatile of the tall defenders. He might not be the best pure defender or the best rebounding tall in the draft. But he is good at both, and more importantly he is an excellent size. And that should see him relatively highly sought after, well at least in the middle rounds of the draft. Interestingly, in the TAC Cup he tends to play further up the ground - including up on the wing at times which shows his running ability. But he played deeper for Vic Metro which is what I wanted to see from him and he did it reasonably well - showed his strength in the air and also his closing speed. I always like a defender who attacks the ball in the air, and Corr does just that. Unfortunately he was injured, and miss the last two weeks of the U18 Championships. Now he just needs to combine his attacking and defensive games into one, and he could be a very good player. AFL Comparison: Brian Lake.

26. St Kilda - Dayle Garlett (180cm midfielder - Swan Districts)

Dayle Garlett is the player I'll be watching with the most interest on draft day, and I'm still not sure where I stand on him. At first I considered him a top 10 pick based on talent, but I've found myself recently questioning if he has a defined role at AFL level and whether he truly has the hurt factor that is needed - or if he develops more along the lines of his namesake, Cruize. He has had a few off field problems this year, what with being left out of squads and missing games. But that doesn't really worry me all that much - I wont pass judgement on something I have no idea about. But really, an 18 year old not being a complete professional is hardly earth shattering stuff. On the field though, he can do some amazing things. Excellent speed, agility and evasiveness. He can run rings around even the quickest of opponents. In the midfield he can win his own ball, he is a smart player around the stoppages. And up forward, he has an excellent feel for where the goals are and just finds a way to get a shot off. AFL Comparison: Allen Christensen.

27. Melbourne - Jack Viney (178cm midfielder - Oakleigh)

So now that it's all been said and done, I'm going to give myself a pat on the back. I had Viney in the second round since I started my mock draft, so I'm not particularly surprised to see him land here - with or without any shady back room dealings. In an open draft, I'd probably have Viney somewhere between picks 5 and 15 on talent and more specifically value (history says similar types can be drafted later). He is one of those small bulldozer types, if he sees the ball he'll go in and get it. His kicking and athleticism are decent, but his attack is excellent - he is a very mature player. I do think he would be a first round pick, just that maybe he'll be closer to the level of an Andrew Swallow than a Joel Selwood. But either way he is exactly what the Demons need to turn their club around. AFL Comparison: Andrew Swallow.

28. GWS - Matthew McDonough (180cm forward - Woodville)

Once Troy Menzel went down injured in the U18 Championships, someone really needed to step up for SA - and without a doubt, that person was Matt McDonough. Despite only being 180cm, he dominated up forward and kicked multiple goals in every game. And he has continued that trend back home in the SANFL. He isn't the tallest player going around, but he is strong. And he uses that to his advantage up forward. He is a very hard player to move in marking contests, his strength often seems to create a mismatch as he is lined up on smaller opponents. McDonough is also a very good kick, so has a lot of strings to his bow as a medium forward. Coming into the season, I wondered whether he could make the move to full time midfielder - and this season, he has proved to have that ability. While he didn't get to show for SA, he has been able to for Woodville West Torrens. He has played everywhere from a forward flank to a back flank, and also as a genuine midfielders. And he is a very handy player to have in the centre square, as he can use that strength of his to stand up in the contests and get the clearances. He'll probably always rotate between midfield and forward, but he should be dangerous in either position. AFL Comparison: Paul Chapman.

29. Hawthorn - Laine Wilkins (183cm midfielder - Peel)

I do tend to have a few, but Wilkins is another favourite of mine. And coincidentally, another one who will greatly divide opinions. I should mention at the top, that I am still not convinced by this height - I think Wilkins is closer to the 187cm mark personally. But regardless of his height, he is just a really intriguing midfielder in my opinion. He is an excellent runner on the outside and, apart from the odd mistake, is generally a pretty good kick. He can also go forward and play as a medium tall up there as he proved in the Championships. At the Draft Combine he was arguably the standout in both the skills tests (kicking, handballing, goal kicking) and the athleticism tests (agility, standing jump, running jump). Probably wont go as high as I would like, but I think he'll develop quite nicely so I don't have a problem taking him this high. AFL Comparison: Sam Blease.

30. Port Adelaide - Jesse Lonergan (183cm midfielder - Launceston)

Lonergan is one of the better Tasmanians to come through the draft in some time. He would have been the first picked Taswegian last year even as an underaged player. And although injuries have interrupted his season so far, he got back for the end of the U18 Chamionships and performed well. At this stage, Jesse is very much an inside player who thrives on the contested ball and does well in the clearances. But I get the feeling that if he were given an opportunity, he could easily play on the outside too as he has the speed, endurance and just general athleticism required. But he is just too good as an inside midfielder, so he hasn't really had the chance to show what he can do. In terms of draft position, he could go anywhere from 15-30 and outside of the top 10, Lonergan would be the next best 'genuine midfielder'. So don't be surprised if he is somewhat of a 'bolter'. AFL Comparison: James Kelly.

31. Port Adelaide - Tim Broomhead (183cm midfielder - Port Adelaide)

It seems that after each game Tim Broomhead plays, I come away a bigger and bigger fan of his. I wouldn't hesitate in using a first round pick on him at this stage. He just looks like an AFL player with his everything he does. And he has been performing each week, despite almost playing in a different position every few games. For South Australia in the U18 Championships, Broomhead was part of the midfield rotations but tended to play largely off of half back. And he did that really well. Always backed himself in when he had the ball, and he set up a number of plays with his run. When playing for Port Adelaide in the SANFL reserves, he has really been able to develop his midfield game. And he has shown the ability to rack up the disposals. And finally, in his 10 league games for Port Adelaide he has played in the forward line. With his speed and agility, he is a hard player to tackle. But I think the highlight of his game would be his kicking, it's very clean and he seems to always choose the right option. To play well in so many different roles is a really good sign for a young kid. AFL Comparison: Dyson Heppell.

32. Richmond - Matthew Haynes (189cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

Coming into the season, Matthew Haynes was considered as a top 10 pick. But somewhere along the way, that has changed and he has seemingly dropped down the order. He has had an injury interrupted season and a bit of a slow start. But the talent that saw him initially so highly rated hasn't gone anywhere. He was listed as a medium defender on the Draft Combine invitee list, but he is more of a winger in my opinion - one who can play off of half back in an offensive role though. But the reason I still have him quite high is because there aren't many players in the draft that have his size, but also his speed. He would be in the elite category for both speed and agility, and it really gives him that special weapon that teams are looking for. He also has very good endurance, so while he might be more of an outside runner, he has all the athletic qualities to really rack up the touches and impact a game. In the Championships, it seemed that whenever he touched the ball something would happen. And while he might be a skinny kid, he still tackles hard. He might take a little while to fully develop, but I think he could be a good substitute next season. AFL Comparison: Jared Polec.

33. Brisbane - Nicholas Graham (182cm midfielder - Gippsland)

Graham is another one of those players who I could see surprising come draft day, and his recent form has done nothing but support this. And while it doesn't always mean much in terms of draft position, he did take home the Morrish Medal in the TAC Cup. He is just one of those super competitive players, seems to have an ability to run all day which allows him to get to more contests than most. He isn't a real crash and bash type player, yet he still gets in there and get the ball out without too much of an issue. He is also a strong mark for someone his size, and applies a heap of defensive pressure. As well as solid form in the midfield, he has shown the ability to go forward and have a real impact there too. One weakness to his game would be his kicking in my opinion, it can be quite inconsistent so he can turn it over a bit. But then again, on his day you wont even notice it. I think he'll be a solid player. AFL Comparison: Luke Parker.

34. Richmond - Liam McBean (202cm defender - Calder)

I'm still not sure what I stand on Liam McBean. I'm pretty sure I like him. But he is that type of player that I've never liked - ruckman size, but not really a ruckman. And I don't think McBean will ever be a ruckman either, think he might struggle to bulk up enough to really be able to compete in the middle. But that's OK, because he has shown promising signs both in the forward line and more recently in the backline. And I think I would develop him into a CHB. For starters, he is very athletic for someone his size. So he isn't a liability in that regard. He can more than hold his own against the tall forwards both in the air and on the ground. McBean looks to be a really disciplined defender, he spoils well and rarely gives his opponent any space. But he is also more than capable up forward - not a super strong mark, but good enough for someone as tall as him. Also has a nice kick on him, both around the ground and for goal. A lot of people (myself included) seem sceptical about 200cm players who aren't ruckman, but I think McBean could be a very good player. And the way the game is going these days, you need players of that at either end of the ground. AFL Comparison: Lachie Hendersen.

35. Essendon - Harrison Marsh (188cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

I was quite disappointed in Marsh's U18 Championships, not because of his performances but due to the position he played. I think he has the makings of a very good midfielder. But for WA, he played all three of his games as a third tall defender - and often, in more of a defensive role as opposed to a rebounder. So he barely won any ball, and while his defensive work was good, I just think he could have done so much more if he was given the opportunity. As a midfielder he has a lot of really intriguing attributes - for starters, he is 188cm and also has quite a mature body already. But it's his run and carry which is truly impressive, I've seen him set off on a number of nice looking runs down the wings in the WAFL and in the Championships. He has surprisingly good speed, which is something you may not expect from looking at him. And he is also a nice kick, both in terms of distance and accuracy. The question is whether he does make the step up to full time midfielder or not, and that will likely determine his draft position. AFL Comparison: David Mundy.

36. Carlton - Tim Membrey (188cm forward - Gippsland)

With his recent performances for Gippsland, Tim Membrey has really put his name in lights. He has really been dominating games up forward, and he has been doing it all year. But that doesn't mean he will necessarily get drafted early. For some reason he just seems to keep missing out - he was only a late addition to the AFL/AIS squad and he was left out of the Vic Country team for the first three weeks of the Championships. But I like him, and that's all that matters in this draft. He obviously isn't the biggest forward going around, and that may count against him. But I think he compares quite well with Jack Darling and Stewart Crameri - strong marking forward and a very good shot on goal, just a little on the short side. Because he isn't 195cm, what he needs to do to endear himself to AFL teams is be involved in the defensive pressure - and he does just that. He is a strong tackler and chases hard all day. He has also been pushing up into the midfield this year, to add another string to his bow. But while he is an accurate shot on goal, his field kicking can be a little sloppy at times. And to be honest, I don't know if the whole 'big bodied midfielder' thing will ever happen. I'd much rather take an actual midfielder in the top 25, rather than someone who hasn't played there yet but could maybe become one if all things go right. AFL Comparison: Jack Darling.

37. Fremantle - Brant Colledge (192cm forward - Perth)

Brant is one of the more interesting KPPs in the draft in my opinion. At the start of the season, I had him rated quite highly due to the glimpses he showed late last year in the WAFL. But due to injuries Colledge has gone under the radar so far at times this season, in fact he has only played 15 games of WAFL Colts over the last two years. Yet I think he is my third favourite KPF in the draft. In the final match of the U18 Championships for WA, I thought he was the most impressive of the WA talls - playing at CHF, he ran really hard, made multiple leads and marked well. Colledge is a strong mark above his head, and while he might not ever be a 50+ a season goalkicker, he is good at bringing other players into the game. While he can play in the backline, I like him as a CHF leading up the ground. He plays a very high marking and disposal game in the WAFL Colts, and I think he could translate that across to the AFL. AFL Comparison: Jack Gunston.

38. North Melbourne - Marvin Warrell (182cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Warrell is a really interesting prospect. He developed himself a little bandwagon after the Championships, but that seemed to disappear after not too long. But it's back in full force now, on the back of an excellent last month in the WAFL. He has had two BOG performances in Grand Finals in two years for South Fremantle, so he is a real big game player. He has played everywhere from small forward, to midfield and rebounding defender, and has done so with success. In terms of what role he'll play at AFL level, I'm not too sure. I don't think he is as natural a small forward as some other players, so if I were his coach I'd probably be intrigued enough to try to him down back. He is an extremely creative player and also a strong tackler, I could just imagine him weaving his through the opposition as he runs out of the back lines. Would just need to improve his actual defensive game, but that's true of most players going into the AFL. His disposal might not be elite, but his ability to find space and create something from nothing certainly is. AFL Comparison: Murray Newman.

39. Collingwood -Tim Sumner (187cm midfielder - Woodville)

I’ve been unsure of where to place Sumner all year. I’m a huge fan of his, and I’ve been talking him up this whole time - on this board, the Fremantle board and whatever other boards I can find. But I can’t help but think while he will have his fans, it might be a different case when teams actually come to draft day. Tim isn’t an immediate fix, and the rookie list would be the best place for him to develop in my opinion. But he has too much talent to make it that far, so I will stick with him nice and early - after all, Ah Chee was taken by Port Adelaide in the third round last year. Playing both across half forward and in the midfield, Sumner has played relatively consistent football in the SANFL U18s and flashed during the Championships and in higher levels back home - although consistency can still be an issue at times. He has very good speed and tries to use it whenever possible, including some amazing long runs through the midfield this year. He also has excellent skills, ridiculously clean hands when the ball is on the ground and just has that knack of doing the unbelievable. AFL Comparison: Jared Brennan.

40. Fremantle - Sam Lowrie (187cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Lowrie has just impressed me more and more each time I see him play, and most people by now will know that I love nothing more than big bodied midfielder. His form as a 17 year old in the Colts last year was very good, until he broke his leg that is. But he has come back as good as ever this season. Of all the players invited to the Combine and State Screenings, it was Lowrie only getting a state screening invite which surprised me the most. He played in all 5 of WA's games in the Championships and was one of their best players in my opinion. He was consistently getting 20+ touches, and got a lot of marks through the midfield in more of an outside role. And then in the final game against Metro, he dominated the clearances. Even his WAFL form has been top notch. I view him as similar to Andrew Embley - big strong guy who can play inside and outside, win his own ball and go forward too. Like Embley, I think he is deceptively quick. And while he might not necessarily test that way, some people just seem quicker when they have the ball in their hands. If the apparent lack of invites is anything to go by, someone is going to get a real bargain with Lowrie. AFL Comparison: Andrew Embley.

41. St Kilda - Liam Flaherty (195cm forward - Eastlake)

Liam is a 19 year old tall forward from the ACT, and is part of the GWS Academy but I'd expect a number of other teams to have him well and truly on their radar. He missed most of last year with a hamstring injury, so you could essentially take this as his draft year. He has played in the U18 Championships for NSW (getting the better of Clurey in one game), as well as both U18s and senior football back home in Canberra. Flaherty ticks a lot of boxes for me. If he were from a Division 1 state, I genuinely think he would be highly regarded. For starters, he is a very nice size for a key forward. Next, he has strong hands above his head and can pluck a contested mark. He also has very good speed for a KPF, so he not only gets a break on his opponent but he can really attack a marking contest. When the ball is on the ground, he moves well and he isn't a liability below his knees - at times this year, he was allowed to run up onto a wing. And most importantly of all for a key forward, he actually kicks goals. But I think the thing that impresses me the most, is his work off the field. From all reports, he is a true professional. AFL Comparison: Taylor Walker.

42. North Melbourne - Brodie Murdoch (187cm forward - Glenelg)

Last year, I was a big fan of his older brother and it's the same story with the younger Murdoch. I really liked what I saw of Brodie last year, playing as more of a stay at home, leading full forward he kicked a few bags for Glenelg and was very impressive in the air. Because of his size, I was looking forward to seeing him play a bit further up the ground and he has done that so far this year - not only playing high half forward, but pushing right up into the midfield and even the back lines. I'm really interested to see just how far he can take his midfield game, as he has the traits that you'd be looking for - pace, agility, endurance and foot skills. The other thing that wouldn't surprise me is if he ended up as a defender in the Andrew Mackie mould. Teams may be more comfortable with someone his height down back, and he has shown glimpses of being able to do it. Whatever happens, he'll be an interesting player to watch develop. Obviously he hasn't been kicking quite as many goals this year, but like I said he has been playing further up the ground and anyway his marking is still as strong as ever. Put it all together, and he looks a good player. AFL Comparison: Andrew Mackie.

43. Richmond - Jason Pongracic (182cm midfielder - Dandenong)

Pongracic is a difficult player to place this year, and in the end I've probably gone lower than what most others would have him. He just hasn't had the greatest season in my eyes. He has had some injuries this year which saw him miss the first few weeks of the Championships and a bit of TAC Cup football this year, but he returned well and began impacting games from the get go - more so as a forward. One issue I have is that I just don't see him being a forward at the next level, he seems to rely heavily on his strength in marking contests in the TAC Cup. But as an inside midfielder, he would have to be one of the stronger ones in the draft. He is just so hard to move in a contest and I do think there is more to his game than just being stronger than everyone else. His attack on the ball will instantly endear him to all 18 coaches, it seems that he prides himself on being at the bottom of every pack. He reminds me a bit of Brent Moloney - although not as damaging a kick. I think he could go anywhere from top 25 to the third round, he is just one of those players - and I think you'd have to focus more on what he could become as a midfielder. AFL Comparison: Brent Moloney.

44. St Kilda - Tom Langdon (189cm defender – Sandringham)

I think if Langdon were just a little bit taller, he would be a certain second round pick. He still may go that high, but I think it’s more likely that he slips down the order – simply because he’d be that fourth tall defender down back, and there is a lot of competition for that sort of role. And in Langdon’s case, he isn’t a super athlete who’ll be breaking the lines. With the ball in hand, he generally looks quite composed and picks out the right option when working his way out of the back lines. He is reasonably well developed physically which I believe will see him compete for a debut early next season, and has been able to use that to his advantage against taller opponents so far in his career. He has also shown the ability to work through the midfield, and he doesn't appear too bad in and around the clearances. The question is just what his role at the next level will be. AFL Comparison: Adam McPhee.

45. Sydney - Brad Hartman (188cm forward - Sturt)

There is something seriously special about this kid in my opinion, and I know a few other people in SA think the same thing. He might not have been picked in the SA squad for the U18 Championships, but he has had an excellent season in the SANFL U18s - playing as a smaller full forward type where he finished second in the goal kicking with an average of 3 goals a game. He has also been developing very nicely this year, and he started to find some real consistency in the second half of the year. And some of his performances this year have just been remarkable, highlighted by a 35 disposal and 8 goal game a couple of months ago. He reminds me of Michael O'Loughlin, with a bit of the old Shaun Burgoyne (the forward version) thrown in. Late in the season he got to run up the ground more, from the wing to half back. And his leap even allowed him to play in the ruck - not to much success, but still he tried and that has to count for something. I don't think he'll make the move to midfield in the AFL, but he could be a special and versatile forward for whoever takes the chance. AFL Comparison: Shaun Burgoyne.

Round 3

46. West Coast - Kamdyn McIntosh (192cm defender - Peel Thunder)

McIntosh was one of the key defenders that I rated very highly coming into the season, I think he rounded off my top 5. But I must admit, I haven't particularly liked his season this year and I have gone off of him slightly. He played in four of WA's games in the U18 Championships as the third tall defender behind Rodda and Howson, and he didn't really stand out for me - defensively or offensively. But, he made his league debut in the WAFL late this season and I think they were his best games all year. He worked hard offensively and won his fair share of the ball, and his marking was particularly good even against bigger bodies - which isn't hard, given he is only pushing 80kg on a good day. But that suggests he still has a lot of development to come, and the fact that he stepped up his game at a higher level is always a good sign. So I still have high hopes for McIntosh, and I think he could develop like Alex Johnson at the Swans. Plus he has good speed and endurance, which has so far allowed him to play as that rebounding third tall defender. AFL Comparison: Alex Johnson.

47. Sydney - Rory Atkins (183cm midfielder - Calder)

Every year there is someone who was highly regarded at the start of the season, who just drops away. I think Atkins could be that guy this year. While I don't think he will miss completely, he might prove to be more of a mid-round draft pick than an early second rounder as some have him. I've compared him to Rory Sloane in the past, so a pick around the 50 mark might actually be about right all things considered. In the Championships, he struggled to get involved and just wasn't able to win enough of the ball. But since the Championships ended, he has been back to his ball winning best in the TAC Cup. At his best, he is a strong inside midfielder with a knack for finding the ball and is strong enough athletically. The problem that I've had is that he has been playing largely as a half forward and using his run to link up on the outside - which normally I don't have a problem with. But I question whether his speed and skills are good enough for that role at AFL level. I think it'd be a good idea to focus on being a hard running, inside player instead. He just needs to improve his defensive workrate. I could still see him slipping though, as he just doesn't look to have the explosiveness to impact games as much as some other players. AFL Comparison: Rory Sloane.

48. North Melbourne - Marco Paparone (193cm forward - East Fremantle)

Paparone was the flavour of the month there for a bit, with some having in the top 10 after the Championships. But the talk has died off and he has since dropped back down the order, to a more realistic spot in my opinion. After being steady as a 17 year old, he stepped up this year at Colts level to really start impacting games. And it saw him become a regular in the WA team during the U18 Championships. And he was one of their more consistent performers across half forward and up on a wing as he consistently got 20+ possessions. At AFL level, I think Paparone will be developed into that modern running CHF role, and full credit to him his engine is as good as anyone's. I'm sure he'll get compared to Riewoldt due to the similar positions they play, but he is obviously nowhere near that level. He is a good mark on the lead, but not as strong in terms of contested marking. While his kicking style is ungainly and can lead to missed kicks. He also isn't really going to crash many packs as a CHF. I think he'll be a good player, but not one you could build a forward line around. And I can't shake that thought that he is more a midfielder stuck in a forward's body. AFL Comparison: Justin Westhoff.

49. Melbourne - Adam Carter (179cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Carter is yet another one of those multi-talented athletes who turned his back on a cricket career in favour of the AFL, and it's looking like a pretty good move at the moment. What with being named in the WA squad for the U18 Championships and making his WAFL league debut this year too. Carter has played largely as a small defender so far in his career, and while he might start his career there, I think he'll eventually become part of the midfield rotations for whichever side picks him up. He has been overshadowed a bit by the bigger and flashier WA players so far this year, but he is a big time ball winner and a little tough nut. And not only is a tough, but he is a very smart and skilled player - his kicking in particular seems quite underappreciated. I expect he'll go earlier than this as he is just a really clean player and versatile enough to make the 22 in a number of positions. AFL Comparison: Rhyce Shaw.

50. Western Bulldogs - F/S Lachie Hunter (181cm midfielder - Western Jets)

I wasn't really sure where to place Lachie Hunter prior to the F/S bidding, he does impress me every time I see him play. But I can't shake a gut feeling that he'll slide. In the end, I decided that I would probably bid a third round draft pick on him. Hunter is a genuine midfielder, can win lots of the ball but also impact a game with just a few disposals. I think this is about where he should have been taken in an open draft, so it's a good pick up for the Bulldogs. And I think he'll be a solid player. AFL Comparison: David Mackay.

51. Western Bulldogs - Michael Close (195cm forward - North Ballarat)

There is probably no other player in the draft that I change my mind on more than Michael Close. Depending on how I feel, I could have him in the second round down to the fourth round. And I don't really know what changes. I think he is every bit as good as Jackson Paine from last year (if not better) and he was consistently talked up as a first round prospect. But Close hasn't been getting the same treatment - no doubt due to the fact that he has been hampered by injuries this year. Close started the season well, playing around CHF and as the backup ruckman. And he had a very good match for Vic Country too against Queensland, but unfortunately he injured his ankle and didn't play again during the Championships. A full Championships would have done wonders for him, and he'd be talked about much more in my opinion. Close still has some filling out to do, but he is a really strong mark and has near elite endurance for someone of his height. He just needs to find some more consistency in his game, because he doesn't always impact the scoreboard in each game he plays. AFL Comparison: Sam Reid.

52. Essendon - Louis Herbert (186cm forward - North Ballarat)

Herbert only played the 1 game for Vic Country in the U18 Championships, and that was the Round 2 match against Queensland. But despite him only having the 8 touches, I was pretty impressed with what he showed. That's what first put him on my radar. And his TAC Cup form since has been particularly impressive too, where he has kicked a few big bags - including one haul of 8 goals. I was a little surprised that he wasn't getting much attention earlier in the year, but the clubs are obviously onto him what with his Combine invite. And it's no surprise really, every team is seemingly trying to find one of those fast but gangly medium forwards these days. While he might not be quite at the same level, I think he is comparable to another redhead at the Swans. He is strong above his heads, and has a really nice right foot on him. He should test well in terms of speed, agility and endurance at the Combine which will surely help his chances. AFL Comparison: Gary Rohan.

53. Melbourne - Jarrod Lienert (191cm defender - Sturt)

So if anyone is following my posts in the SA Draft Prospects thread, you'll already know that I rate Lienert quite highly - much higher than anyone outside of South Australia. The fact that he only played in one game during the U18 Championships was probably one of the most dissapointing parts of that whole tournament for me. The one game he did play was against the Northern Territory, which probably says a lot about the type of player he is - a tall defender, but versatile enough to play on the shorter and more athletic forwards. He wasn't bad in that game either, so I think he missed out more on team balance than anything else. Like I said, he is a tall defender who can play on any number of forwards. He does project more as a third tall, but who knows what will happen when he puts on more weight and muscle. Probably the highlight of his game in the SANFL has been his work on the rebound - he wins a lot of ball in the back half, zones off well for the intercept marks and has good foot skills to go with it. I really like how he is always looking to be aggressive coming out of the back half. Lienert has also shown the ability to play up forward - in his first three games this year, he kicked 12 goals. AFL Comparison: Dylan Roberton.

54. Adelaide - Jacob Ballard (186cm midfielder - Northern Knights)

I know I keep calling players underrated, but Ballard is. He had a super consistent season for the Knights in the TAC Cup and was named in the bests in all but two of his 13 games this year. And he continued on with that form in the U18 Championships, and while he wasn't a standout he won plenty of ball and used it very well off of half back. One thing he showed for Vic Metro was that he doesn't need a lot of game time to win the ball. And even with his Draft Combine invite, it still seems as though people aren't really talking about him all that much. He is 186cm and has a mature body, he'll be pushing for selection in his debut season. He can run all day as he proved with a top 10 beep test result, and he uses the ball very well by foot. With his size, skills and athletic ability, he looks to be a perfect fit for the modern game, and I think he could easily push into the second round. What will dictate where he gets picked is whether teams think he will become that big bodied midfielder or if a career at half back is more likely. Either way, I think he could be a good player. AFL Comparison: Jordan Russell.

55. Essendon - Tullio DeMatteis (184cm midfielder - Norwood)

I've been quietly talking up Tullio all year as a mid-draft option, and I still really like what he offers. Interestingly, DeMatteis hasn't played a lot of games for Norwood over the last three seasons - in fact, he has only played 22 SANFL games spread out between U18s and Reserves. But that's because he has been playing school football, as well as representing South Australia in two games during the Championships this year. From the fairly limited viewing sample, he has done some very nice things and did enough to earn a Draft Combine invite. He is a really quick outside midfielder or half forward, he didn't test quite as well as I expected in the sprints but I think if the testing was over 100m the results would be very different - he has more than proved that with his competitive sprinting here in Adelaide. While he can play across half forward, I like him further up the ground on a wing - where I don't think he is too different to Jackson Macrae. He has that ability to get around his opponent with relative ease, and he has proved in the SANFL that he is a creative player and a very clean one too. In the U18s he showed that he can win the ball, but in the Reserves he also showed he could impact a game with just a handful of touches. AFL Comparison: Sharrod Wellingham.

56. Carlton - Andrew Boston (180cm midfielder - Broadbeach)

If they didn't already have issues with list size, I doubt the Gold Coast would hesitate in signing Boston as a zone selection. He'd be the best midfielder to come out of Queensland this year, and would be a great fit for them. General consensus is that they will keep him, or at the very least trade him to another team. But until then, he can stay in my draft. He has a strong body after playing in the seniors for two years, and is a real leader on the field. But he also some flair to his game, both in terms of foot skills and an ability to go forward and score goals. I see no reason as to why he couldn't play both as an inside and outside midfielder, he has certaintly shown the ability to do both. Overall Boston just looks to be a very well rounded player, and would probably be more appreciated if he played for a Division 1 team. AFL Comparison: Shaun Grigg.

57. Gold Coast - Will Hams (180cm midfielder - Gippsland)

For some reason, it appears as though nobody likes Will Hams. He rarely seems to get a mention on here, which is odd because he is a good little player. He plays as a small defender, a midfielder and as a small forward - and wherever he plays, he does so with the same attack and attitude. He is just a tough little nut, and tackles hard. His kicking isn't always perfect, but that's not what you'd be drafting him for. Realistically, most late round picks aren't going to make it. But I don't think Hams will let that happen to him.

58. North Melbourne - Mason Wood (190cm forward - Geelong)

19 year old who was named as an overaged player in the Country U18 squad this year. He has had a solid year in the TAC Cup, so it was good to see him get some games at the next level up. For Country, he played as a running defender and he did look good in that role. But personally, I like him up forward. He has a nice set of hands above his head for someone his size, and is really strong athletically too. But the versatility to play at either end will only help his cause.

59. Gold Coast - Rookie Upgrade (Horsley)

60. Gold Coast - Zone Selection (Cameron)

61. West Coast - Jackson Ramsay (181cm defender - East Perth)

Ramsay is probably one of the more interesting players invited to the Combine, purely on the basis that he has missed most of the season with injury after managing just 7 games. Which I guess shows how highly some people rate him. I like what I've seen of him, but I admit was a little surprised that he got an invite. But he is probably one of the more well rounded players out of WA this year - good speed, skills, attack and smarts. It's his speed which is probably what got him his invite.

62. West Coast - Matthew Dick (187cm defender - Calder)

There is a lot to like with Matthew Dick, the least of which isn't the fact that he already has a solid build - unlike many other players around the 185-190cm mark. From a physical standpoint, he could certainly push for selection next year. He is also very quick, and isn't afraid to ues that pace coming off the half back line. I think he is just a really solid player, and is versatile enough to play a defensive role on both talls and smalls or play more of an offensive role as he has nice skills. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him go earlier than many think of draft day.

63. North Melbourne - Ben Kearns (183cm midfielder - Gippsland)

When it comes to Gippsland, a lot of the focus has been on Nicholas Graham and his form. Which means, that other players can go under the radar a little bit, and that seems to be the case with Kearns. He can play either through the midfield or up forward, and has good games playing both roles this year - from a few games with 20+ touches, to his 5 goal haul in the first final. His kicking can admittedly be a touch inconsistent, but he plays a little like Dayne Beams. So I think with some work, he'll be a handy player.

64. Adelaide - Rookie Upgrade (Callinan)

65. GWS - Jackson Thurlow (189cm defender - Launceston)

Was arguably the best Division 2 player in the Championships, and while he would have already been on the draft radar, he has certaintly helped solidify his national draft chances. During the Championships, he typically played loose across half back and just floated around doing whatever he wanted - a role he did so well because he is very good at reading the play. But he has shown back in Tasmania, the ability to play all over the ground. He is strong above his head, and has decent skills too.

66. Sydney - Shannon Taylor (177cm midfielder - Claremont)

I still don't know quite where I stand with Taylor. Athletically, he is quite impressive - his speed alone would be reason to draft him. But I'm just not sold on him as a footballer, in particular as to whether he would be anything more than a small forward at AFL level. Doesn't really have the impact with his kicking that you'd be looking for from someone on the wrong side of 180cm. But as a late pick or in the rookie draft, there is enough to work with to suggest he'd be worth a shot.

67. Sydney - Dean Towers (189cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

I'm typically not big on the mature aged players, not many ever make my phantom drafts - I just watch more junior football than the state leagues. But I've been watching a bit more of the VFL this season, and even managed to see a North Ballarat game live and I like what I've seen from Towers. I've seen him compared to Isaac Smith, and I think it's an apt comparison. He has the height, speed and kicking skills of Smith and has a similar story too - coming from what seemed to be nowhere to be a genuine draft chance. His performance at the Combine should act to only improve his draft standing, particularly given the 15 year record he broke. About two months ago I was pretty confident of him going in the 20-25 range, and I still think that is a definite possiblity. AFL Comparison: Isaac Smith.

Round 4

68. Hawthorn - Liam Byrne (184cm midfielder - Bendigo)

Maybe one of the unluckiest players in this draft. He started the season in fine form, winning lots of the ball in the midfield and working hard defensively. But he suffered an injury quite early on, and after playing with it for a few weeks he ended up having season ending wrist surgery after just 6 games. Chances are he will be overlooked, and will line up in the TAC Cup as a 19 year old next year but an enterprising team could try to lock him up early. He can play inside, on a wing or off of a flank as he is capable of both winning his own ball and linking up by running hard. Looks to be a clean player with sound decision making. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with a full season.

69. GWS - Emmanuel Irra (179cm defender - South Adelaide)

I still think E-Man is one of the most intriguing players in the draft, I really don't know where he will be picked. I would go earlier than some others might, because I love what I've seen and I've maybe seen more of him than interstate watchers. I've also got a few friends who were involved with the South Adelaide U18 side, and they have nothing but good things to say about the kid. His form for South Australia in the U18 Championships this year wasn't amazing, but it was only a tiny taste of what he can do and I believe he wasn't quite at full fitness either with a few injury concerns hampering him. But his resume is as good as anyone else in the draft - been part of every underage team he has been eligible for, he made his SANFL league debut as a 17 year old and he was part of the AFL/AIS Academy this year. So I would disagree with suggestions that he is raw, he is already a very accomplished player. But one with still a huge scope for improvement. I think he'll develop into a rebounding small defender at AFL level, a role he has already played a bit as in the SANFL. He provides great run no matter what position he plays, and it's almost like he is gliding across the turf. His skills are excellent too, they'd put a number of lifelong AFL players to shame. There are plenty of reasons to draft Irra, and I would suggest that no player from this draft will work harder than him to make it in the AFL. AFL Comparison: Chris Yarran.

70. Melbourne - Nathan Stark (177cm midfielder - Glenelg)

Those who watched South Australia in the U18 Championships may remember Stark as the kid with the blonde hair who would just come running through the middle of the pack from seemingly nowhere. He is only a small kid, but he doesn't seem to know that as he throws himself into everything and has a surprising ability to win the contested ball against bigger bodies. He reminds me of Lachie Neale who was drafted by Fremantle last year. I see no reason as to why he couldn't play at either end of the ground, despite playing mainly as a midfielder so far.

71. Carlton - Nick Rodda (194cm defender - West Perth)

Rodda certainly is an interesting prospect. He is physically already quite developed, and is a perfect size for a KPD at around 194cm and an impressive 98kg. In terms of size, he'd be one of the most immediate KPP options in the draft. And also he is also surprisingly mobile for someone his size, he has both impressive speed and agility. Last year in the WAFL he was solid across full back, but offered little to nothing on the rebound. This year however he has taken his game to another level, and in the Colts he has gone from averaging 7 disposals a game to 16. Showing once and for all that he is more than just a wall across full back. And he continued on with that form in the U18 Championships, holding his own against the 'big name' opposition forwards and becoming involved in the rebounding game too. One other thing he did for WA in the U18 Championships was to kick in after the opposition scored a behind, it's not often a full back does that but that highlights how clean his foot skills are. Yet despite being a strong and athletic KPD, he still seems to be somewhat underrated in my opinion. AFL Comparison: Ben Rutten.

72. Hawthorn - Alex Howson (195cm forward - East Fremantle)

I keep changing my mind on not only where Howson should be drafted, but also whether he should be listed as a forward or a defender. His form in the WAFL up forward has been excellent, while he went back in the Championships and did some nice things. Against the Division 2 sides, he was able to use his height and athleticism to really control the back half. He did have a few struggles towards the end of the competition against the bigger forwards, but that sort of versatility at 195cm can't be understated. And I was mildly surprised that he didn't receive a Draft Combine invite. Since returning to the WAFL, he has been marking everything coming his way and kicking bags of goals - so I've settled on 'forward' for now. He could slide a little on draft day due to a lack of defensive pressure and effort when he doesn’t have the ball in hand, but I still think he could go in the second round given the lack of genuine forward prospects with height. AFL Comparison: Jackson Paine.

73. Melbourne - Rookie Upgrade (Evans)

74. Melbourne - Rookie Upgrade (Nicholson)

75. Essendon - Sam Siggins (194cm defender - Lauderdale)

I've been burnt by Tasmanian tall defenders in the past, but for some reason I just like the way they play. So I'll stick to my guns, and hope Siggins can help even out the score. The first thing you notice about him is his size, he is almost a perfect size for a KPD - he has the body to mix it up with the genuine tall forwards. Watch him play though, and he moves well enough to play as a third tall defender and he does provide enough run off of half back to be a threat going forward in that position. I think he might just quietly make a run up the draft order.

76. Carlton - Oliver Johnson (181cm midfielder - West Adelaide)

Coming into the season Johnson was behind a few other inside midfielders in my mind, but his start to the season was exceptional. Would have been leading the league in disposals and clearances by a long way, was consistently getting 35+ touches a game. While he didn't get the same numbers for SA, he still showed signs of being able to match it with the bigger names. He looks bigger than 181cm out on the ground too, so I'll be interested in how he measures in later this year.

77. St Kilda – Jason Ashby (185cm defender – Oakleigh)

There are a few medium defenders in this draft who haven’t been getting any attention, and Ashby is yet another one of those. But in a draft where nothing is guaranteed after the top 20, a solid player wouldn’t be a bad choice. Ashby is a rebounding defender, who can also play defensive shut down roles on opposition forwards (including a good job on Whitfield). He isn’t an elite sprinter and he probably wouldn’t be one of the top endurance runners either, but he simply works harder than most and that allows him to impact games. His skills are decent without being special, and he is a strong tackler.

78. North Melbourne - Rookie Upgrade (Daw)

79. Geelong - Matthew Sully (196cm defender - Geelong)

Sully is a 20 year old KPD who plays for the Geelong VFL side, and anyone who stands at 196cm and 95kg is a good prospect in my eyes. He was overlooked as an 18 year old so played country football last year, where he was named as one of the top 10 country footballers in Victoria. He has put in some impressive performances this year in the VFL, particularly late in the season. And he showed that he is capable of not only matching it with the opposition's key forwards, but of attacking when he has the ball in hand too. He is strong in the air and isn't afraid to go back into the packs. Might be more of a rookie option, but he has the size which will no doubt appeal.

80. Fremantle – Rookie Upgrade (Pearce)

81. West Coast – Rookie Upgrade (Dick)

82. Collingwood - Steven Baldasso (183cm midfielder - Norwood)

So I think everyone knows that I like my South Australians by now, and it may well be my bias which is why I have Baldasso so high. He isn't really a big name around these parts (except on the Richmond board) and he didn't feature for SA in the U18 Championships - so many interstate draft watchers may not have seen him play. But he is a really nice midfielder, and one I think just might surprise a few in the next month. Baldasso can play either inside or outside, he has really clean hands and can also run hard. Disposal is a strength of his, he just looks to be a good all round midfielder. He reminds me a bit of the Collingwood midfielders, particularly Fasolo and Beams. I do have some concerns in regards to his speed. He didn't test particularly well at the Combine, and I think the reason he has had success in the SANFL is because he reads the play well and seems a step ahead of the opposition - which gives him more space and gives the impression of more speed than what he may actually have. But if he still has that time at AFL level, then it wont matter. AFL Comparison: Alex Fasolo.

83. Port Adelaide - Harley Montgomery (177cm defender - Sturt)

Compared to Colquhoun, Harley Montgomery was the forgotten defender for South Australia during the U18 Championships. He played in all five of their games, but he took on the defensive roles as opposed to playing loose and racking up the touches. It was the type of game, where if you didn't notice him then he did a good job. And it seems as though not many people noticed him. Last year he took home the Sturt U18's B&F playing through the midfield despite missing 5 games, and this year he made his SANFL league debut. While he has shown the ability to play in the midfield for Sturt, I'm not so sure he will be able to make the transition to AFL midfielder - I think he'll be pigeon holed as a defender, although one who can rebound. He isn't the quickest player going around, but he is a very smart defender so he doesn't tend to get beat purely on speed too often. His foot skills appear solid without being spectacular, but he does make good decisions. Where he goes in the draft will likely depend on whether teams consider him solely a defender or not. AFL Comparison: Jed Adcock.

84. GWS - Rookie Upgrade (Frost)

85. Western Bulldogs - Tom Schott (189cm forward – West Adelaide)

Schott was named in the South Australian squad for the U18 Championships, however unfortunately for him he wasn’t part of the best 22 so has had next to no exposure compared to others. But he received a State Screening invite this year, so at the least the clubs are looking at him. Schott has split his time between U18s and Reserves this year in the SANFL, and has played two different (but similar) roles – in the U18s he was more of a focal point around the CHF position, but in the Reserves he played as a high half forward flank. His best performance of the season was in the U18s, when he collected 23 disposals, 10 marks and kicked 6 goals. Like a few of the other medium forwards in this draft pool, his contested marking is very good and he is just a generally hard worker. It’ll be touch and go as to whether he gets drafted (like most after the second round), but I’d be willing to give him a shot.

Round 5

86. Port Adelaide - Rookie Upgrade (Jonas)

87. Brisbane - Rookie Upgrade (Crisp)

88. Richmond - Josh Porter (194cm forward - Murray Bushrangers)

Porter appears to be a relative unknown on these boards, as he is not getting much interest. But he is another with a lot of good attributes, and should be looked at purely for his size and contested marking ability. He missed last season with a foot injury, but this year he has held down the CHF position and has been getting better each week. His kicking could maybe do with a bit of work, but for someone as big and strong as he is, his defensive work is surprisingly good.

89. Essendon - Tyler Blake (184cm defender - North Ballarat)

I'm not sure how many people had Blake on their radars coming into the season, but it was his form for Vic Country which turned me into a fan. Typically small defenders aren't all that highly sought after come draft day, but I really like Blake and wouldn't hesitate if he were available with a late round pick. He is a nice size for a small defender, perfectly capable of playing on many types of forwards. He is also really composed with ball in hand.

90. Carlton - Rookie Upgrade (Casboult)

91. St Kilda - Rookie Upgrade (Dunnell)

92. North Melbourne - Rookie Upgrade (Gibson)

93. Geelong - Rookie Upgrade (Stringer)

94. Fremantle - Rookie Upgrade (Spurr)

95. Collingwood - Rookie Upgrade (Williams)

96. Sydney - Kaiden Brand (197cm ruckman - West Adelaide)

Brand is a ruckman/forward from SA, and one who hasn't been talked about at all in the lead up to the draft. He has grown about an inch this year, so there could possibly be some more growth in him to come. And hopefully he does, because I like him more as a ruckman than a forward. He isn't the most dominant ruck, but he works really hard once the ball hits the ground. And he has won some huge numbers in the U18s - both in terms of disposals and marks. Brand is a big, strong kid and could develop into one of those valuable forward/rucks.

97. Greater Western Sydney - Rookie Upgrade (Phillips)

98. Western Bulldogs - Rookie Upgrade (Johannisen)

99. Brisbane Lions - Rookie Upgrade (McKeever)

100. Richmond - Michael McMahon (186cm forward - North Adelaide)

Coming into the season, one of my favourite draft prospects from South Australia was Michael McMahon. In fact, at the start of the year I had him ranked inside my top 50 and I was really looking forward to seeing what he would do. He performed well for SA in the U16 Championships a couple of years ago, and last year won the SANFL U18 goal kicking with an impressive 69 goals in 22 games. And he started this season off right where he left off - with 16 goals in his first five games. In those games, he was also getting a bit further up the ground and not only was he kicking goals himself, but he was delivering the ball inside 50 too. Unfortunately, he would not play another game this season as he suffered a season ending groin injury. Which is a real shame, as he looked set for a big year. Chances are the injury will see him overlooked completely this year, however I think what he has shown over the last two years would be enough to earn himself a late speculative pick. AFL Comparison: Jeremy Howe.

101. Essendon - Jason Williams (187cm midfielder - Port Melbourne)

I wrote about Jason Williams last year, and I was hoping he'd get drafted - either late in the piece or as a rookie. But it wasn't to be. Although having said that, I did expect him to get overlooked as he had some quite major consistency issues. But you could never question his talent. This year, the 19 year old has moved on from the TAC Cup to the VFL and has been playing some good football. He has missed some time with a hamstring injury, but he looked good running off of half back. Williams is quick, and really loves to run and carry the ball. Those at Port Melbourne consider him their most talented player, which says a lot.

102. Carlton - Rookie Upgrade (Tuohy)

103. North Melbourne - Rookie Upgrade (Mullett)

Round 6

104. Sydney Swans - Harry O'Meara (178cm midfielder - Bendigo)

Harry has barely earnt a whisper on this board, and I can't help but think it's due to his height. But 178cm isn't that small anymore, especially not with a late/rookie pick. I could see him having a Dahlhaus like impact despite being a late pick. He has excellent speed, good skills and seems to know when to attack and when not to. And has also been used in defensive roles in the past. Plus, he is one of the youngest players in the draft, so I'd expect more development to come.

105. Western Bulldogs - Rookie Upgrade (Campebell)

106. Essendon - Rookie Upgrade (Baguley)

107. Sydney Swans - Rookie Upgrade (Cunningham)

Re: My Top 50 - 2012 Draft

I actually really rate Grundy, he is a better ruckman/midfield prospect at his age than we have seen the last few years. His work around the ground really impresses me and its like he is another midfielder.

I think that this years top 10 all look super talented prospects, and the results by the division 2 teams show that there is some more talent in QLD, NSW and NT that should be strongly considered.

Looks pretty solid. Good to see Thurlow and Lonergan get a mention, they are the two that I rate as the best prospects from Tasmania. I reckon that's around where they will go too. We have a pretty average under 18s team this year. It may be difficult for the good Tasmanian players to really stand out for selection like Darley did in 2010.

Chris earlier on you had Toumpas at 2 but now have him slipping to 8 with Kennedy moving up the order, what are your thoughts behind that?

So who am I missing then?

About the only kid from Murray to jump out at me right now is Tom Clurrey. But I only listed 50 players, that's not to say more wont get drafted either late or as rookies.

And as for players from NSW, when practically the entire squad is either a Swans or GWS Academy player I sort of lose interest. I'd expect most of them would be rookie selections - Vile, McGillivray, Jack, Redfern, Pleming.

chris, one who you might want to take a look at is Karl Merson, he is with the gws academy, very strong insider, played a number of games for uws giants reserves.
everyone is a little more than surprised he is not in the NSW/ACT Rams squad this year? could be amongst the picks.

Glad to hear your comments about key defenders this year, because we will certainly need one.

Given the ages of Corey and Chapman I suspect we'll be looking for an inside mid with our first pick though, then key defender.

Just wondering about your thought process with the dogs selections.
I would have thought we would taken Shaw if available (its rare to have an early pick and be able to get a gun KPF). We do have Jones, Cordy and Roughhead, but I think we will look to play Cordy and Roughhead as Ruck/part time forwards. Jones has been solid on occasion, but I think we would hedge our bets. The other pick we will simply take the best outside midfielder available. Must be able to kick, be quick and be alright in winning their own ball.

I don't see us picking up a defender early as we got Talia last year and still have Williams, Marcovic and now Austin. Not world beaters, but I think we have other needs unfortunately. I think we will pick up Hunter as a F/S with our 2nd (may vary of course) pick.

Just wondering about your thought process with the dogs selections.
I would have thought we would taken Shaw if available (its rare to have an early pick and be able to get a gun KPF). We do have Jones, Cordy and Roughhead, but I think we will look to play Cordy and Roughhead as Ruck/part time forwards. Jones has been solid on occasion, but I think we would hedge our bets. The other pick we will simply take the best outside midfielder available. Must be able to kick, be quick and be alright in winning their own ball.

I don't see us picking up a defender early as we got Talia last year and still have Williams, Marcovic and now Austin. Not world beaters, but I think we have other needs unfortunately. I think we will pick up Hunter as a F/S with our 2nd (may vary of course) pick.

Well, Garlett definitely suits the outside midfielder that you want.

As for the other selection, I simply thought Plowman was the best available KPP - regardless of position. Maybe you wouldn't go that way considering you drafted Talia, but Plowman offers more in terms of rebounding too.

In terms of Shaw, as good as he might be, it just seems that he is quite similar to what you already have in Cordy, Roughead and Jones. There are only so many 197cm+ forwards you can play at once without being too tall. And I doubt you'd be ready to move on from those guys quite yet. Someone like Stringer would be a better fit - a strong marking guy around the 190cm mark. If not him, maybe they'd look at that area in the middle rounds. But having said that, I'm no list expert. So could be way off.

I don't think the dogs could go past Plowman.
With Talia would form the cornerstones of their defence for the next decade plus.
That's a bloody good starting point, whatever other holes they have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its more that a lot of people aren't sold on Jones/Cordy/Roughy as "the go to" player. Jones is better suited up the ground, pushing up to the wing. With Cordy and Roughhead as Ruck/2nd tall forward type players.

We would be looking at something like this in a few years:
FF: Higgins, Shaw, Cordy
HF: Smith, Jones, Hunter
C: Dahlhaus, Libba, Wallis
Ruck: Roughhead, Cooney, Griffen
HB: Veszpremi, Williams/Marcovic, Howard
FB: Wood, Talia, Austin

We also have Minson who still has a fair few years left, but you would think it would be unlikely for all these tall guys to "make it".

Chris earlier on you had Toumpas at 2 but now have him slipping to 8 with Kennedy moving up the order, what are your thoughts behind that?

With Toumpas, it's more just a case of other types being picked ahead of him - ruckman, key defender, speedy outside mid. Throw in Viney, and he makes it through to #8. Nothing more than that really, he is a great player.

Similar to Mayes, I think I just underrated Kennedy at first. Probably because of his size. But he is every bit as good as Prestia and Smith, if not better. He would be as close to a like for like replacement for Brent Harvey as you'll find. They even play a similar game, in terms of both hard running and linking up for cheap touches. Someone who will consistently win 20+ touches and kick 2 goals a game deserves a top ten selection in my book.

Chris is there any chance of Mason Shaw or Jake Stringer or Brodie Grundy getting to Norths pick would love any of them at North.

Love the idea of the Saints landing String McBean, but the last thing we need is another <195cm backman, even as a development project.

Well, one out of two isn't bad. :p

Ryan Morrison hasn't been talked about a lot, but he is a pretty solid player. Other than Plowman, I could see him having the most immediate impact. And that's pretty good for an 18 year old CHB. A Howson or Rodda would likely be a more longer term prospect, so that's where Morrison has the advantage.

And on the topic of defenders, the two who missed out on my draft were Kamdyn McIntosh and Matthew Wallis. So they're another couple to look out for come draft day.

Great effort Chris.

Vlastuin is the exact type of player we pick. (feels weird saying that we have a type of draftee :p ) wins his own ball, good skills and high character.

We definitely need to upgrade at small forward. Is Yarran a crumber or lead and mark type though? IMO we need a good crumber.

In regards to Howson, I don't think we need another KPD early on with Griff looking the goods and Astbury/Grimes to come back in. Dea/Batchelor can play tall if desperate.
Maybe a Harrison Marsh would be a better option to add depth to our midfield? Is he a good kick? Quick?

Is Matt Crouch eligible this year? If so, where would you have him currently?

Not eligible. Birthday 21 April 95 makes him eligible for minidraft I believe. I think he should attract some interest if he declares.
Thanks Quigley. Might be worth investigating.

Chris, who would you take out of Toumpas, Menzel and Kennedy? Looking primarily at ability to find and use the ball well.

Would be happy with any at North but have a soft spot for Menzel.

Chris is there any chance of Mason Shaw or Jake Stringer or Brodie Grundy getting to Norths pick would love any of them at North.

Shaw and Stringer, yes. Grundy would be less likely.

Great effort Chris.

Vlastuin is the exact type of player we pick. (feels weird saying that we have a type of draftee :p ) wins his own ball, good skills and high character.

We definitely need to upgrade at small forward. Is Yarran a crumber or lead and mark type though? IMO we need a good crumber.

In regards to Howson, I don't think we need another KPD early on with Griff looking the goods and Astbury/Grimes to come back in. Dea/Batchelor can play tall if desperate.
Maybe a Harrison Marsh would be a better option to add depth to our midfield? Is he a good kick? Quick?

I think Vlastuin could easily come in next year, and ultimately replace Shane Tuck. Not sure he'd necessarily get through to Richmond's pick though. When I initially did this draft, the top 3 looked like this...

1. Melbourne - Lachie Whitfield
2. Melbourne - Brodie Grundy
3. Gold Coast - Nick Vlastuin

I actually think Vlastuin would be the perfect fit for the Gold Coast, probably a better all round fit than Whitfield. So, where they finish on the ladder could decide a lot.

Yarran can do both - he marks and crumbs. You'll probably be able to find a better natural crumbing forward later on in the draft, but Yarran is a very well rounded small forward. He doesn't really leave the forward 50 too often, but he is good enough to do that.

Alex Howson is just as much a tall forward as he is a tall defender. In the WAFL, he plays up forward. But it looks like he'll be down back in the Championships. Never hurts to have another tall like that on your list. Maybe you'd look at another midfielder instead though, perhaps another runner as opposed to another bigger body player like Marsh?

Chris, who would you take out of Toumpas, Menzel and Kennedy? Looking primarily at ability to find and use the ball well.

Would be happy with any at North but have a soft spot for Menzel.

If you're looking for ball winning ability and skills, then it would be Toumpas, Kennedy and then Menzel. The first two are more accomplished midfielders and better ball winners.

Hey Chris,

Interesting draft for swans this year as we are in desperate need of KPP especially forwards. On that i wouldnt be surprised if we reached for a forward say Paparone or even bid high on Stewart. Also KPD will be a priority to eventually replace Richards so our draft would look something like

1. KPF
2. KPD
3. Best available
4. Project Ruck

Or some combination. May get a ruck from rookie draft so could be best available. Just my opinion but on that what do you think the best bets for us are come draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back