Your favourite ever indigenous player?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not expressing any opinion on Goodes. I'm just amused by the confidence with which people on here state what the booing is about.

Including those who claim that it's definitely racist and nobody else could even consider booing Goodes for any other reason

Cyril. He is cat-like with his reflexes and despite his media hype, he's one of the most quietly spoken and humble guys. I just wish he was more selfish and took the game and his opponent on more often because he could kick so many more goals.

Burgoyne is an absolute gem to watch. He is the perfect player. Has been Hawthorn's greatest trade, for mine.

Bateman, as others have stated. Changed our club's culture. Prior to his recruitment Hawthorn just did not recruit Aboriginal players.

Loved watching Winnie Abraham and Dean Rioli go around. Winmar too.

Franklin, goes without saying. Champion.

Cyril Rioli, Jed Anderson, Bateman, hilly and Burger from Hawks.

Other teams: Buddy,Motlop, wingard, McLeod and the matera bros!

Including those who claim that it's definitely racist and nobody else could even consider booing Goodes for any other reason
Absolutely. I have my opinions on why people boo Goodes, but I don't state them with no supporting data on BF like they're provable scientific phenonema.

It's convenient for some people to assert that booing Goodes is always for racist reasons.

It's convenient for some people to assert that booing Goodes is never for racist reasons.

Neither position is anything more than a typed sentence in cyberspace.

I remember there was a video made of Alwyn Davey's 2007 season, his first year and he looked to become very good but then he never quite made it. Had some good highlights anyway.

Brad Hill would be my favourite indigenous player playing now.

565654-jeff-farmer.jpg

This is the Indigenous Team of the Century and what a disgrace that Jeff Farmer was snubbed by selectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Team_of_the_Century

Jeff Farmer was not only a highlights machine, but he was also the first Indigenous person to kick 400 goals in AFL/VFL footy.

He finished with 483 career goals to be ranked 55th in the all time list.

Of the six players picked in the forward line of the Indigenous Team of the Century, only Michael O'Loughlin kicked more goals.

A real injustice that one of the best small forwards of all time (not just Indigenous) was robbed of such a prestigious honour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the Indigenous Team of the Century and what a disgrace that Jeff Farmer was snubbed by selectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Team_of_the_Century

Jeff Farmer was not only a highlights machine, but he was also the first Indigenous person to kick 400 goals in AFL/VFL footy.

He finished with 483 career goals to be ranked 55th in the all time list.

Of the six players picked in the forward line of the Indigenous Team of the Century, only Michael O'Loughlin kicked more goals.

A real injustice that one of the best small forwards of all time (not just Indigenous) was robbed of such a prestigious honour.

It's a pretty hard team to break into, especially in the forward line with guys like Nicky Winmar, Syd Jackson, Chris Lewis, Micky O'Loughlin, Stephen Michael and Jim Krakouer, I wouldn't pick Farmer ahead of any of them but he might have been worth a spot on the bench.

You also have to keep in mind that the majority of Farmer's career was played after 2000 and this was a Team of the Century from 1900-2000.

David Rodan springs to mind.

He has Fijian and Tongan heritage.

Last edited:
Buddy and Rioli.
Its still a bit painful to see him running out in different colors but theres no one better to watch when hes playing at his best.

Eddie Betts, Andrew McLeod, Gavin Wanganeen, all spring to mind.

Loved the way they went about their football.

Stephen Michael: 243 games South Freo (217 consecutive), 2x Sandover medal, 5x B&F, club and state Captain, Simpson Medal, Tassie Medal.

Legend.

You forgot All Australian captain too (1983). But yeah, for me, it's Stephen Michael. Maurice Rioli a very close second.

But I loved that Sth Freo team of the mid-late 70s / early 80s with Stephen Michael, Maurice Rioli, big Bad Basil Campbell, Benny Vigona - that team started my passion for footy when I was just a wee tacker in primary school.

Interestingly, my cousin's boyfriend at the time played in that team, including the 1980 premiership - and he is now her husband of 30+ years, and was Nat Fyfe's high school footy coach when he was in years 11 and 12.

A lot of very talented indigenous footballers have come through South Freo - the ones mentioned above + the Materas, Nicky Winmar, The Wiz to name a few. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Loved watching Mickey O. First time I saw the swannies play I noticed him and thought he was Indian, he also wore the number 19 (at the time I didn't know about indigenous australians and my birthday falls on the 19th) so I instantly loved him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back