Zac watch

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a couple of people on here (lickmerocks for one) discussing the player that clearly have not been to see him play at Box Hill. Until such time as you people actually know what you are talking about instead of basing your misguided opinions on a couple of Zac's performances on oversized opponents early in his career, the intelligent people on here will shoot you down.

Your "opinions" are both ignorant and unfair. I saw Dawson first hand on at least half a dozen occasions in 2007. I was not a fan of his until I witnessed his development first hand. He is coming along very well, better than I expected in fact. The Hawthorn Football Club is in agreement with this, proven by the fact that he was offered a contract extension. When he cements a regular spot, and have no doubt that he will, I wonder whether you people will have the stones to publicly apologise.

Great to hear Crypty. I value your view here coz I know you're objective in assessing where players are at (rather than getting involved in the hype). And the fact that you have seen him on a number of occassions further enhances your opinion here. The other noticeable plus on Zac's performance this year is our midfield was often getting badly done, yet he still held his own.:thumbsu:

Maybe Clarko is looking to build Zac as a 10 year box hill full back. He can hold together the backline and mentor the young guys. And coz he is a good guy, he will be great to have around and will build the character of the club - maybe as captain. This might be more valuable to the club than being a struggling senior player.

Maybe Clarko is looking to build Zac as a 10 year box hill full back. He can hold together the backline and mentor the young guys. And coz he is a good guy, he will be great to have around and will build the character of the club - maybe as captain. This might be more valuable to the club than being a struggling senior player.

:thumbsu::eek: Pick which one.

Some People saying it was the right decision to fastrack him due to his improvement at Box Hill. I don't disagree with this. Just not on the gorillas - that's what hurt him. Give him players who don't use their body as much.

Oh well. There was no way Clarkson could come out and say I was wrong. That would have done even more damage to Zac. We all make mistakes.

And yeah, I really hope Zac isn't burnt. Supporters should give him some slack if he's given another go.

Our playing group is a lot more settled now than when Zac played, so I think he would benefit from a better organized group, especially with the improvement of guys like Brown, Birchall, Croad, Gilham and co beside him down back. Different scenario now - our defence was under siege back then which just compounded the problem.

Good luck Zac - Get stuck into the sour cream and chips.

Can't see how it was the right decision as if he was fast tracked he would of continued to play senior football this year.

When he played in 2006 he should have played on more suitable matchups and be moved when it was obvious he was geating beaten, I think he had 8 goals kicked on him twice (against Rocca and Thommo) and this can't be good for his confidence.

Hope he gets more of a go this year so he at least gets a chance to get a tast of the action at senior level and when he does play he is given a matchup that he has a chance to beat.

I still think Zac has what it takes to make it in the AFL.

06 was a write off, physically incapable of doing his job and this year he has been building confidence and muscle at Box Hill.

Time will tell if Clarko was right or not throwing Zac in the deep end, if it pays off Clarko will look like a genius and the ignorant such as lick my rocks will have to crawl back into their hole.

Go Zac!

I've added a few more of you to the gathering list of "Stick that up your behind you Zac doubter, you". It will be produced when he starts flying in 2008 and beyond.

Unfortunately it's a pretty big list and I'm running out of hard drive space...

You guys are missing my point......l would love nothing more than to see Zac become one of Hawthorn's elite players, but struggle to, after what l've seen over the last 2 years.

When l mentioned supporters being one eyed, l believe we should be honest when assessing our own players, even if that means being critical.

We all make mistakes and l think the Hawks damaged the confidence of Zac by playing him in 'major' roles on the opposition key forwards.

He is mobile enough to run the lines off Half Back or play on a Wing, if we have to play him at all.

Sure, sure, he didn't play a game this season gone. Gilham, already developed physically, held him out of it. Gilham played 4 games for Port Adelaide before we picked him up, so I'm tipping there were a few Port supporters at the time saying he couldn't play too. But Clarkson saw something in Gilham and gave him a chance, which he has grabbed in both hands.

My question is this: Which Hawthorn player has Clarkson shown a lot of faith in, or publicly backed, who has failed to come on?

I can't think of one, and I don't think Zac will be the first. Hang on, maybe Thurgood. Zac won't be the second!
I think he will turn out ok, maybe not a 300 game player, but an ok senior player none the less. Still, he would want to put in a good 2008.......

I'm backing Zac to have a crack as our true full-back and blunt the enemy attack, his senior form will take a different tack as he shelves in the rack the efforts gone when he did lack, taking up the defensive slack, no longer to be the defensive crack, no more receiving the media flak, his good play will read like a print-stack, a fair old whack to those journo hacks: "slurp my sack, the Zac is back"....

....actually, maybe just "Dawson is awesome" will do, it's a bit less wordy.

Croady had a great year down back. Gilham came on and Browny was a revelation. Despite all this HFC have said they want Roughie down back. Add to this many observers are saying we need to draft a tall KP defender. Where is Zac going to play and who is going to miss out?

I hope Zac comes on but the job is in front of him.

Croady had a great year down back. Gilham came on and Browny was a revelation. Despite all this HFC have said they want Roughie down back. Add to this many observers are saying we need to draft a tall KP defender. Where is Zac going to play and who is going to miss out?

I hope Zac comes on but the job is in front of him.

Zac is going to play full back. Gilham is going to miss out. Roughead is only short-term cover for the next season or two, he is really our next premiership CHF. Otherwise he is Croads replacement and Zac is still at FB.

The same people saying we need to draft a KP defender are the same ones saying Zac wont make it. Those who think Zac will make it are saying we have a lot of KP already.

Just my 2c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back