2008-09 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Countin down the days for the playoffs i thought i would throw up some guesses at the awards this year..(finalists not winners)

*the Norris and Vezina are bloody hard this year, as there is a ton of candidates and there isnt 3 stand outs in either field..so i tried to get some guys in who are different from the ones we see year in year out...

Hart..

Ovechkin
Malkin
Parise

smoky..Ward?? (been just about the best goaly in the league since new years and got carolina possibly home ice for the playoffs) he would be up there in terms of most valuable player to their team..

Calder

Mason
Rinne
Ryan

Smoky ..Doughty or versteeg

Norris

Green 28 goals 39 assists 67 pts + 24 TOI 25.51 min
Rafalski 10 goals 47 assists 57 pts +20 TOI 23.51
Weber 21 goals 29 assists 50 pts +8 TOI 23.45

Smoky..Streit, He has been nothing short of brilliant on that terrible team this year...its a shame his team has possibly cost him a nomination

Vezina

Kipper 43 wins SV % .903 4 shut outs
Thomas 32 wins SV% .931 4 shut outs
Ward 36 wins SV % .916 5 shut outs

Smoky...Nabakov-brilliance underrated because of the team he is on or....Mason, got his team their first playoff appearance in ...ever, and thrown up 10 shut outs along the way...

Hart - Ovechkin (Parise won't get nominated)
Calder - Rinne (Mason's stats are inflated due to Ken Hitchcocks system - refer Pascal Leclaire last year)
Norris - Green (Agree with Streit being a smoky)
Vezina - Thomas (Kipper shouldn't be nominated despite the win total)

Mason could be a smoky for the hart, however I'd go with

Hart - Ovie
Calder - Mason (Poster boy atm, doubt Rinne will get a look in unfortunately)
Norris - Boyle (His impact in San Jose should be taken into account even though his points total hasn't been as high lately, Rafalski is on a brilliant team and Green is horrible defensively)
Vezina - Thomas

anyone else think parise should be a finalist...??

in terms of a player that has been been most valuable to their team, I think Parises performance is most significant, once broduer went down for 4 months they got servicable goal tending from clemmensen but still parise was the player that lead that low scoring team into an offensive powerhouse (granted NJ has good depth) if you take his influence out i think NJ would be a team around 6th, 7th or 8th...

Ovechkin should win it, but i think zach deserves to be a finalist

Also whats everyone elses opinions on ward?? worthy of being a finalist for the vezina??

DU's star player Tyler Bozak is expected to sign with an NHL team in the next day or so. Frontrunners are Toronto, Ottawa and us. I know Brian Burke's really pushing hard to have Tyler become a Leaf, but Giguere's going hard to, and if staying in Denver's any kind of pull, then becoming an Av is a strong possibilty.

And if Smyth's injury keeps him out for a few games, if Tyler signed with us, he could step right into the team.

I dunno, I reckon an Ontario team will nab him, but the idea of two DU centres in our team is just delicious.

Good to see Pavel Datsyuk again being overlooked by you lot...

not overlooked, i know how good he has been, but you can only have 3 candidates, and the 3 i mentioned have been more valuable to their team than Datsyuk has to Detroit...

If we're going with completely unbiased views, I'll put forward Andrei Markov for the Norris, consistently good at both ends in a very inconsistent club. Has been excellent all season and leads the club in points.

Datsyuk has probably been the best player in the league this season behind Malkin. He belongs in everyone's top 3.
This year, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Parise>Datsyuk

So no Hart nomination for Pavel. He's a chance for the Selke, thats it. Or that one for sportsmanship, I forget its name.

This year, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Parise>Datsyuk

So no Hart nomination for Pavel. He's a chance for the Selke, thats it. Or that one for sportsmanship, I forget its name.

Lady bing...probably a lock..

but theres no way he has been better than crosby or ovechkin...

he and parise have probably been equal but parise has done it with zajac and langenbrunner rather than hossa and zetterberg...so i give more credit to parise on that note

the hart trophy isnt about who the best player is...its about the most valuable player to their team..

You could almost make a case for Mike Richards, his influence on that flyers team is so underrated...scores shorties, power play goals, 50+ assists and probably 30 goals in total, he fights and rarely gets defeated on a shift...but he wont be in anyones conversations this year...

ill stick with my 3..ovechkin to win from malkin and parise

Time will tell though

If we're going with completely unbiased views, I'll put forward Andrei Markov for the Norris, consistently good at both ends in a very inconsistent club. Has been excellent all season and leads the club in points.

Foward?!?! Last time I checked Markov played D :confused:

Hey, that got me thinking....say a player is able to strongly play both F and D and has a hell of a season and pots say 60+ points. Would that player be eligible for the Norris trophy straight off the bat (as well as other awards), or do you think they (i.e. selectors) would actually have a look at where this player was more valuable before nominating them as a finalist as a Norris candidate?

I know it isn't going to happen, I mean there is no chance guys like Mathieu Dandenault or Steve Montador will ever be superstars, but you know, hypothetically speaking....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foward?!?! Last time I checked Markov played D :confused:

Hey, that got me thinking....say a player is able to strongly play both F and D and has a hell of a season and pots say 60+ points. Would that player be eligible for the Norris trophy straight off the bat (as well as other awards), or do you think they (i.e. selectors) would actually have a look at where this player was more valuable before nominating them as a finalist as a Norris candidate?

I know it isn't going to happen, I mean there is no chance guys like Mathieu Dandenault or Steve Montador will ever be superstars, but you know, hypothetically speaking....

I think he meant he is putting the nomination forward as in he is giving us his thoughts

the hart trophy isnt about who the best player is...its about the most valuable player to their team..

based on this, game over.

kipper wins by the length of the trans-canada.

we all know this wont happen, and AO wins again

mason wins ROY and vezina though for mine

Hensick's been poorly managed this year. He has been given 3rd line minutes, which does him no good. Either bite the bullet and play him above Arnason and give him 2nd line, 1st PP unit duties, or send him back to Lake Erie so he is at least getting ice time somewhere.

Him spending too much time on the bench in Denver does no-one any good. He'll be fine, he has shown enough, especially on the man advantage. It's just a case of giving him the oppurtunities/roles. He'll be good next year.

With Stewart, Hensick, Galiardi, Jones, and then Stoa next season, plus perhaps a Tavares or Duchene, there's a nice young nucleus of forwards there (Stastny's young still I guess too).

Man I love this time of year...almost every game on the schedule has big playoff implications...

heres my top 5 for tomorrow...

1- Canadiens @ RAngers- Montreal blew a big oppurtunity today to assure itself post season action, the loser of this game will be very shaky as florida will be on their necks as they have the softest schedule...

2- Panthers @ Flyers- Philly need to hold Carolina off for home ice (canes host NYI tomorrow....aka, win) so they need this win especially finishing with a difficult last two games home and home against the desperate rags...If Florida can win this one they are a red hot show at the playoffs, they finish with Atlanta and Washington who will have little to play for in their last game before playoffs...

3-Flames @ Cancuks- Flames win and they clinch the division and the 3 seed, lose and they could drop to 5th once the season ends..both teams wont want to give up home ice in the playoffs and then have to go to chicago...which will happen to the loser. Probably could be higher on teh list as it is essentially for the division, but playoffs arent on the line so it drops to 3rd..

4- Blackhawks @ Predators- Nashville is in fight for your life mode and cant leave points behind, it means more to the preds who sit 8th by tiebreaker and if they win out theyre in... although chicago virtually locks in the 4 seed with a win so they will be hungry...if nashville lose it opens the door for St louis, Minnesota and the oil.

5- Stars @ Wild- The last ones a homer pick as the stars are eliminated, but ive got the day off work and im looking forward to watching dallas for the last time this season on the tube..It does have playoff implications if Phoenix and Chicago both win, Minnesota could get to within one point of 8th place with 2 games left...Go StarS!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back