Bryce Gibbs for Andy Otten and Patrick Dangerfield ???

Remove this Banner Ad

celtic_pride

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
BTW Before anyone hounds me down and accuses me of being an 'twit' who is 'negative' and 'obsessed' with hypothetical/unlikely trades, lets just say that I post this on the proviso that the rumours I've heard that Gibbs wants to return to SA once his contract expires comes true. Now in the past, we would all be horrified and think that the Crows could offer us nothing decent in return, but this year, I've been really really impressed with several of their youngsters, two of them being victorians, Andy Otten and Dangefield ...

Now the minimum I would expect from the Crows if they want to trade for Gibbs, a former highly rated no 1 draft pick, would be Otten and Dangerfield, and possibly a 2nd rnd draft pick in return.

Frankly I've been terribly dissapointed with Gibbs in the last month or so, and especially last night against the Bombers, and really, I would have to say, overall hasn't advanced to the same level as Marc Murphy has this year, and like it or not, if the Crows made us an decent offer involving Andy Otten and hopefully Dangerfield, we would be stupid not to consider it, esp as they are both Vic boys and so the go home factor would diminish, and really there is also a massive x-factor to Dangerfield as well, and some people I have heard reckon he could end up as a better player long term then Gibbs and even Joel Selwood, he is an elite young talent.

if he wants to go home then we have to entertain the idea of a trade...

for mine 1st round plus a dangerfield / walker / ottens OR dangerfield and Ottens sounds good...

of course 1st intention would be to keep gibbs

I believe Gibbs needs to harden the **** up and get some hardball. I've been a defender of him for a long time, but he seriously does look soft with the amount of uncontested balls and marks he gets.

Take a leaf out of Judd's and Murphy's books Bryce.

its all well and good saying take a leaf out of judd and murph's book but the fact while they may get some hardball, they have no accountability despite the good players they are, we are a terrible clearance team, like i said i would have thought the first thing the coach would instil in the player's mind is to be accountable, i just dont understand how opponents can get so loose against us, u will never win games of footy when u dont man up

Gibbs needs to go back to playing a tagging role. Simply cannot win his own football. Hopefully we can pad up his stats in the second half of the year and offload him to some other sucker club for top dollar...

I would definitely take that trade as I think you're right, sooner rather than later Gibbs will request to go back home.

I totally agree with you that Gibbs has fallen very short of what was expected of him. He is very skilled, but unfortunately that's about the only positive and it's not good enough.

He doesn't chase, doesn't have burst speed, doesn't block or win his own ball, and like several others in the side, just doesn't seem to care.

Can't really question his skills which are usually very good but when you consider the overall package (skills, running, chasing, blocking, courage, integrity) he is an ordinary footballer, and it's disappointing because he has grasped the part of the game which many players never seem to acquire, yet lets himself down in other areas which I would expect to be part and parcel for a player of his ability.

BTW Before anyone hounds me down and accuses me of being an 'twit' who is 'negative' and 'obsessed' with hypothetical/unlikely trades, lets just say that I post this on the proviso that the rumours I've heard that Gibbs wants to return to SA once his contract expires comes true. Now in the past, we would all be horrified and think that the Crows could offer us nothing decent in return, but this year, I've been really really impressed with several of their youngsters, two of them being victorians, Andy Otten and Dangefield ...

Now the minimum I would expect from the Crows if they want to trade for Gibbs, a former highly rated no 1 draft pick, would be Otten and Dangerfield, and possibly a 2nd rnd draft pick in return.

Frankly I've been terribly dissapointed with Gibbs in the last month or so, and especially last night against the Bombers, and really, I would have to say, overall hasn't advanced to the same level as Marc Murphy has this year, and like it or not, if the Crows made us an decent offer involving Andy Otten and hopefully Dangerfield, we would be stupid not to consider it, esp as they are both Vic boys and so the go home factor would diminish, and really there is also a massive x-factor to Dangerfield as well, and some people I have heard reckon he could end up as a better player long term then Gibbs and even Joel Selwood, he is an elite young talent.

Sorry I just thought I'd clarify this Are you saying we have to give up two young stars (likely to be in the top 3 for the rising star 2009) for Gibbs?

You can't really mean that? I'd think that in 3 years the order of these guys will go

Dangerfield
Ottens
Gibbs

and I really like Gibbs as a player, but these guys are young stars

Maybe Gibbs and Kreuzer for Dangerfield?

Just because the media doesn't fawn all over our players (fab 4 etc) doesn't mean they are no good

I really don't see Adelaide trading there two best youngsters away.

If Gibbs wants to go I wouldn't keep him against his wish. If he wants to stay then he's going to have to HTFU!

What a bunch of ferals we've become.
I would definitely take that trade as I think you're right, sooner rather than later Gibbs will request to go back home.

I totally agree with you that Gibbs has fallen very short of what was expected of him. He is very skilled, but unfortunately that's about the only positive and it's not good enough.

He doesn't chase, doesn't have burst speed, doesn't block or win his own ball, and like several others in the side, just doesn't seem to care.

Can't really question his skills which are usually very good but when you consider the overall package (skills, running, chasing, blocking, courage, integrity) he is an ordinary footballer, and it's disappointing because he has grasped the part of the game which many players never seem to acquire, yet lets himself down in other areas which I would expect to be part and parcel for a player of his ability.
IP check to aisle flog.

We need more ordinary footballers like Gibbs.

[YOUTUBE]Lu--O9W4L5M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]o_HBB7VQ9Zk[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Dangerfield and Otten wanted to come back to Victoria, there's practically a 1% chance Adelaide would even consider trading them.

Besides I wouldn't really want to trade Gibbs. He's in his third year FFS and 20 years old. Still heaps of potential upside with him. Just need to to drill it into him that he needs to be a little harder at the footy.

That is seriously pathetic. Flog.

What a bunch of ferals we've become.

IP check to aisle flog.

We need more ordinary footballers like Gibbs.

[youtube]Lu--O9W4L5M[/youtube]

[youtube]o_HBB7VQ9Zk[/youtube]

The clip of the Brisbane game was a good piece of play, can't dispute that. But he needs to do that on a far more regular basis.

As flattering as the the second clip is, it's was against Richmond, who are the worst side going around. I wouldn't expect any less.

I'm not going to be childish post videos of Gibbs' bad moments, but I can certainly recall a few times where he let himself down.

Unless Dangerfield and Otten wanted to come back to Victoria, there's practically a 1% chance Adelaide would even consider trading them.

Besides I wouldn't really want to trade Gibbs. He's in his third year FFS and 20 years old. Still heaps of potential upside with him. Just need to to drill it into him that he needs to be a little harder at the footy.

That is seriously pathetic. Flog.

Gotta love it. Have a go at my criticism, saying it's pathetic, and then go and contradict yourself saying he needs to be harder at the ball. Wouldn't expect any less from someone whose user name is derived from a player who they think is a star.

I believe Gibbs needs to harden the **** up and get some hardball. I've been a defender of him for a long time, but he seriously does look soft with the amount of uncontested balls and marks he gets.

Take a leaf out of Judd's and Murphy's books Bryce.

An opinion can spread like wild fire around here. He has averaged 25 touches over the past 3 weeks, 10 contested. 40% of his touches have been contested in the past month to go along with 13 tackles in 3 games, an average of over 4. Do you guys actually open your eyes when you watch footy or do others make opinions for you?

Marc Murphy's % of contested ball is exactly the same as Gibbs over the past month (since he has been played through the middle). I know this fella is a number 1 pick and some of you think he needs to play like superman each week even though he is still just 20 but this is reality. People have stinkers and flat patches, Gibbs was our best on Friday night and has started to pick up his performances again since Ratten has realised he should be played in the centre.

Gotta love it. Have a go at my criticism, saying it's pathetic, and then go and contradict yourself saying he needs to be harder at the ball. Wouldn't expect any less from someone whose user name is derived from a player who they think is a star.
There is a huge difference between saying "needs to be harder" and "He doesn't chase, doesn't have burst speed, doesn't block or win his own ball, and like several others in the side, just doesn't seem to care." :eek:

You look like a right flog now...:thumbsu:

The clip of the Brisbane game was a good piece of play, can't dispute that. But he needs to do that on a far more regular basis.

As flattering as the the second clip is, it's was against Richmond, who are the worst side going around. I wouldn't expect any less.

I'm not going to be childish post videos of Gibbs' bad moments, but I can certainly recall a few times where he let himself down.
Who cares if it was against Richmond?

How many goals did Franklin kick against terrible sides last year to win the Coleman?

Gibbs helped us win that game after we were trailing IIRC.

A break through game that Judd missed due to injury.

Gibbs has been playing with a hand injury, so it's easy to call him soft from in front of your computer...

I think some of Gibbs perceived 'softness' is more due to laziness and lack of application really, I do think he should get a heck of a lot more contested possies, and actually start to being more 'accountable' with his opponent as well.

Please give your definition of "harder." I look forward to comparing it with mine.
Definition: The ability to cause as much physical harm whilst still maintaining possession.

I don't lack his courage. We saw him take the full brunt of Dempsey last night only for Dempsey to fall flat on his back. I don't think he's small. I've seen him up real close :rolleyes: and his arms are quite large.

What he needs to be doing is just grabbing ball out of the middle and use his core to withstand the surrounding tackle and give off to a runner. Not everytime but swapping with Murph and Judd.

Who cares if it was against Richmond?

How many goals did Franklin kick against terrible sides last year to win the Coleman?

Gibbs helped us win that game after we were trailing IIRC.

A break through game that Judd missed due to injury.

Gibbs has been playing with a hand injury, so it's easy to call him soft from in front of your computer...

May as well say our whole team are superstars if our benchmark is performances vs Richmond, especially after that game in round 1. A bit of consistency is all I and many others want.

And don't make excuses for him. If he's injured, he shouldn't be playing. And how exactly does a hand injury stop you from chasing?

Lol @ these stupid reactive threads. Lets trade one young player who is years away from his peak for another two who are in the exact same position. When Gibbs has a good game next week and the other two have downers (like all young players do) are u gonna delete this thread? Or offer the croweaters a bargain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back