2009 Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the development of guys like Hartlett and Gray. Seeing Jacob Surjan step up his game and become a key down our defence. Bob contuning to be a great full back. Still quite underrated in my opinion.

Also seeing Tredrea have his best season since our glory year of 2004 was great to see. Hope he can pull another big year next year.

My positives for 2009

Surjan... break out year
Gray... showed us that he is going to be a star midfielder who can kick goals
Hartlett... need i say more.... he will be a superstar
Boak... is starting to show us why we picked him up at no5 in 2006
Tredrea... Big Wazza is back!!! everyone thought he was gone but he had a great year
Carlile... Quickly becoming one of the best backmen in the country... will be AA mark my words
Brogan... another stellar year from broges
Broadbent... i really like him. He is going to be a really good player for us
Lobbe... since his move to Westies, he has been giving us some hope for a new ruckman
Daniel Stewart... for a rookie, he really excites me. Big, can ruck, can mark, and can kick goals

Interestingly, I noticed than Brett Duncanson talked of the fact that at the begginning of 2009, the PAFC had 22 players who had played 40 games or less. This figure is more than the Melbourne FC. IMO we have tremendous upside in our list and if we can get our coaching box up and running and obviously our gameplan, we are on our way. Many good things happening off field as well. Work to start shortly on the new expansions of the club, some new sponsors signed and if the Darwin treks come about, the club is talking of having a Power Train to take our supporters up to the top end and including fishing tours etc. I for one feel that our off field leaders are taking us in the right direction and despite the debacle of 09 we are on the rise from now on.

Not exactly a 2009 positive but a positive none the less that 2009 has contributed towards in terms of experience gained

Future Spine (and its still young)

Salter
Trengove (if he can be developed as a CHF)
Boak
Chaplin
Carlile

Krakouer.
Very evasive, highly skilled, elite handball, good but not elite kick. (Though this is more a confidence thing IMO.)

Still though, I'd love to see those little taps along the boundary line and taking on players happening in our attacking 50 instead of our defense...

Trengove would be an underlying positive. Came to the club with a huge reputation and nearly as big a question mark on whether his leg would hold up. He appears to have fully recovered and has stepped seamlessly into SANFL league footy with virtually no pre-season. Tall, strong, tough and a healthy reputation for a mean streak, he will be a terrific addition to the side.

Gray - 20 game(1 missed due to faux appendicitis), 4th in AFL for goal assists, 30 goals, time in midfield.
Surjan - Proved everyone wrong, fantastic year
Tredrea - Champion bounced back. 50 goals is a fantastic effort
Chaplin - Indifferent year, but still a massive improvement on his 08 form
Salter - Became too good for SANFL and has attributes to make it in the AFL
Cassisi - Good choice for captain

Cassisi, Surjan, Carlisle, Hartlet and the end of the season, ie. the season ending and not having to re live the anguish week in and week out - the pain dosen't go away though.

Interestingly, I noticed than Brett Duncanson talked of the fact that at the begginning of 2009, the PAFC had 22 players who had played 40 games or less.

Spin, how many of those players played at the same time?

The season started well when I received the membership pack in the post here in China complete with pen and pull-out fixture. Round 1 was a good start and the round 4 win over the reigning premiers exciting. From there it all obviously unravelled, but the biggest positives for me were Tredrea's form and Robbie Gray and Jacob Surjan taking the next step from serviceable players to guns.

Surprised no one has mentioned Tom Logan's mark - AMAZING. Is he a chance to win our only league award for 2009?

From an outsider:

Surjan - Stepped it up this year, has probably been the most consistent player.

Salter - Played well in most of the games he played this year, barring a massive form slump or injury he should already be in your best 22 next year.

Hartlett - Classy disposal, A gun would love the crows to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a list of Pros I posted in the Season Review thread.

Pros

Carlile, Boak, Gray and Hartlett
These are the guys who will take us to our next premiership. One will go close to winning a Brownlow.

Salter, Davenport & Broadbent
I like what I see in these three. We just need to get Lobbe onto this list as well.

Duncanson & Haysman
Straight shooters given the dreadful job of pulling us out of this simultaneous financial mess and form slump. Although, they do still need to deliver on the Stadium Deal.

Rodan
Not so much for his games, but his presence at the club. This bloke should be the face of PAFC. Hardworking, eloquent, humble, determined and absolutely loves the club. He should be held onto at all costs.

Surjan
Stepped up when those around him wavered and continued throughout the year. Should win our B&F if it's not just about possession count.

Tredrea & Brogan
The ex Captain and the Angry Bigman both showed throughout the year what it means to have passion for the club. Tredders showed he has at least another year left in him if he wants it and Brogan seems like he could go on for another three.

Back to black Guernsey
A great response for a great design. There was something very Port Adelaide about the black guernsey, shorts and sox.

Bye, Bye Tony
'nuff said.
Bomber Clifford is just about spot one here.
I would have preferred bye bye Choco as well as Tony but time will be the teller.

The season started well when I received the membership pack in the post here in China complete with pen and pull-out fixture. Round 1 was a good start and the round 4 win over the reigning premiers exciting. From there it all obviously unravelled, but the biggest positives for me were Tredrea's form and Robbie Gray and Jacob Surjan taking the next step from serviceable players to guns.

Surprised no one has mentioned Tom Logan's mark - AMAZING. Is he a chance to win our only league award for 2009?

No chance, hate to say it Burtons was an all time classic last week. Great mark, almost as good as Smiths in the GC. IMO.

Spin, how many of those players played at the same time?

I would not call it spin. Just stating the facts. By the way the squad of 25 named for our home game against hawthorn, had 16 of the 25 players 23 or under. So i would have thought a lot played together that day.

Re: It seems Giles is gone....

Wow, sometimes I (and perhaps others) forget how few games players like Boak and Gray have played!

I wonder if Choco was listening to the commentators flap on about how many less-than-50 game players Essendon, Adelaide, Carlton and Brisbane have?

It seems our numbers of less-than-50 game players is right up there, too.

Anyone got the stats on that?

Re: It seems Giles is gone....

link
Port and Essendon have the most under-24 players with 27, followed by Collingwood (26), Melbourne (26), Richmond (26), Brisbane (25), Kangaroos (25), West Coast (25), Adelaide (24), Carlton (23), Hawthorn (23), Western Bulldogs (22), Fremantle (21), Geelong (19), Sydney (19) and St Kilda (18).

Port Adelaide also since 2006:

HAS turned over 50 per cent of its playing list.

HAS 22 players on the senior list who have played fewer than 40 games, the same as Melbourne.
link

Remove this Banner Ad

Back