2009 Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: It seems Giles is gone....

Wow, sometimes I (and perhaps others) forget how few games players like Boak and Gray have played!

I wonder if Choco was listening to the commentators flap on about how many less-than-50 game players Essendon, Adelaide, Carlton and Brisbane have?

It seems our numbers of less-than-50 game players is right up there, too.

Anyone got the stats on that?

At the start of the year we had 22 of our senior list with 40 games or less. We also have the most 23yrs and under of all teams. And no you will not hear that spruiked by the Adelaide media, because they love to kick us when we are down. However if the cows were in our position with those stats, we would not be hearing the end of it. Rowe did it constantly when the cows lost 3 in a row earlier in the year, talking about how many games so and so had played etc.

The only positive for me is that we have some gun players...

Hartlett
Salter
Boak
Broadbent
Davenport
Wade (if he can get his s**t together)
Krouker
Gray

All young with more experience after this year except for Wade, who I think didn't get enough game time which I think sunk the boot into him, hence why is standard has fallen dramatically after showing glimpses of brilliance in the pre-season of 2009.

Big improvers for me...

Surjan...had a great year and deserves the BnF award.
Alipate....good solid performance
Gray....he is in my mind, a star.....leading the vote count in our squad in the Brownlow

I know krakouer isn't the easiest name to spell, but gee krouker has got to be one of the more inventive spellings i've seen!

Did you expect anything else from a wog.....:D

I couldn't be fckued lkooing for the corrcet splleing....LOL

plenty of upside for Port going into 2010 dont you worry about that.

Captain Cassisi - the right choice, what a leader he was in 2009 and will be going forward

Boak - is developing into an elite ballwinner in the comp

Gray - has oozed class all year and will just get better and better

Salter - this guy could be anything up forward for us

Hartlett & Broadbent - both tough ball winners with that something special about them

Surjan & Alipate - the cornerstones of our defence, both have had career-best seasons by a mile

Tredders & Brogan - both had very very good years and will be valuable for us for at least the next couple

got plenty to look forward to including the battle for 2nd ruck position, and hopefully some games out of big Trengove next year

hopefully Motlop, Ebert, Burgoyne, Salopek and the Cornes boys can all get back to their best

it is not all doom and gloom at Alberton

plenty of upside for Port going into 2010 dont you worry about that.

Captain Cassisi - the right choice, what a leader he was in 2009 and will be going forward

Boak - is developing into an elite ballwinner in the comp

Gray - has oozed class all year and will just get better and better

Salter - this guy could be anything up forward for us

Hartlett & Broadbent - both tough ball winners with that something special about them

Surjan & Alipate - the cornerstones of our defence, both have had career-best seasons by a mile

Tredders & Brogan - both had very very good years and will be valuable for us for at least the next couple

got plenty to look forward to including the battle for 2nd ruck position, and hopefully some games out of big Trengove next year

hopefully Motlop, Ebert, Burgoyne, Salopek and the Cornes boys can all get back to their best

it is not all doom and gloom at Alberton

I agree with everything except the bolded part.

In my opinion, player factions and infighting is a sign of poor leadership or leadership that is lacking.

That's not to say that Dom shouldn't be captain for 2010, more a harsh analysis of his performance in that role for 2009.

I agree with everything except the bolded part.

In my opinion, player factions and infighting is a sign of poor leadership or leadership that is lacking.

That's not to say that Dom shouldn't be captain for 2010, more a harsh analysis of his performance in that role for 2009.

I'm inclined to agree in principle, although i'd add that it is the coaches and leadership group in general that was lacking.

While dom is the captain, he will take the brunt of this criticism, which is unfortunate because he was such a great on field leader in 2009.

At the start of the year we had 22 of our senior list with 40 games or less. We also have the most 23yrs and under of all teams. And no you will not hear that spruiked by the Adelaide media, because they love to kick us when we are down.

This is a big positive, but it says something that it would come as a surprise to most Port Adelaide supporters. It should not have. It also still "smells" a little of looking for excuses.

/OT

R1 we only played 5 of the 11 'young guns' Choco mentioned. R22 we start looking like a young 22 even with two old warhorses getting a send off. I'd like to see average ages of teams' *playing* 22s relative to performance this year. That would be more interesting and telling.

I did hear Choco occasionally mumble about injuries especially after losses. Did he mean "we got no depth 'cause we're the youngest squad in the comp, so we're really vulnerable to injuries" ? Either way the message was garbled as there was so much else going wrong that went unacknowledged. Never clear what we knew as a club and what we just plain refused to admit to.

Did our communications people get instructed NOT to hose down expectation for this year for fear of the effect on attendances ? We could have started this 'youth' meme via back channels. Fact is, in a two club town, the 'bigger' club will get better treatment overall, so for now we need to be far smarter about planting positive stories and 'necessary' spin, preferably before the event so it sounds less like spin and more like honest assessment.

/OT

Speaking of communications mis-steps, I'd say that article is a final attempt to test for any interest in Giles. Two clubs keen for a ruck I think are Swans, Hawks. ok, I don't know the state of their young rucks. Here's a smokey: what if Gardiner and King BOTH retire after a Saints premiership ?

Giles to Saints - for what ?

^ Choco did say at one post match conference that our list was left skinny by design, which could be viewed as lacking in depth.

I'm inclined to agree in principle, although i'd add that it is the coaches and leadership group in general that was lacking.

While dom is the captain, he will take the brunt of this criticism, which is unfortunate because he was such a great on field leader in 2009.

Not reasonable to expect Dom to be able to crush 'cliques' on his own when he isn't the bloke responsible for allowing them to exist. Dom leads-by-example but few choose to follow. I can't hold him responsible for that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dom fall on his sword all Roman style :) and give up the captaincy - if he thought that would be part of the solution.

link

Quote:
Port and Essendon have the most under-24 players with 27, followed by Collingwood (26), Melbourne (26), Richmond (26), Brisbane (25), Kangaroos (25), West Coast (25), Adelaide (24), Carlton (23), Hawthorn (23), Western Bulldogs (22), Fremantle (21), Geelong (19), Sydney (19) and St Kilda (18).

Port Adelaide also since 2006:

HAS turned over 50 per cent of its playing list.

HAS 22 players on the senior list who have played fewer than 40 games, the same as Melbourne

link

At the start of the year we had 22 of our senior list with 40 games or less. We also have the most 23yrs and under of all teams. And no you will not hear that spruiked by the Adelaide media, because they love to kick us when we are down. However if the cows were in our position with those stats, we would not be hearing the end of it. Rowe did it constantly when the cows lost 3 in a row earlier in the year, talking about how many games so and so had played etc.

I think in all fairness that you should be careful with raw statistics - they could be misleading and mask some underlying problems that Port Adelaide have within the club and digress the Club from addressing the real issues.

For example, addressing some of those stats given, i could point out also that:

- as at today: Crows have 29 players under 24yo and Port 27
- as at today: Crows have most players 23yo and under (29 v Port 27)
- as at today: Crows have 18 players under 21yo and Port 12
- Crows have turned over 50% of playing list since 2006 same as Port
- as per date used by Hartley above - the Crows had 24 players on senior list with less than 40 games and Port had 22 players

Agreed that the leadership group as a whole is lacking.

It is interesting that the player factions didn't become an issue until after the switch in captaincy, which leads me to think that the underlying issue is the way in which the club handled the handover.

None if this is Dom's fault or really within his control, but there's a big part of me that thinks that these factions wouldn't have even seen the light of day with a Primus or a Cunningham as captain. Who knows? Maybe I'm over-playing the role of Captain in modern football.

I should also qualify these comments by stating that I firmly believe that Dom has the nous, the strength and the football ability to be a Captain in the Bucky mould. Quietly spoken yet strong and unyielding. (sounds like a Philip White wine review!)

It's just that there needs to be a harsh assessment of where we are at as a club and the Captaincy, which is linked to so many of our issues, is one of the things at the top of the list.

Agree fully with your points Forzaport - we would be one of the few clubs (dictated by lack of funds IMO) that would have the majority of assistant coaches as immediately retired same club players. Although it's not through lack of trying to get others - maybe Haysman can change the method of convincing potential people.

I also understand that leadership development is conducted in-house by Arnie - again, perhaps due to lack of funds. I'm in the industry and that stuff costs plenty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None if this is Dom's fault or really within his control, but there's a big part of me that thinks that these factions wouldn't have even seen the light of day with a Primus or a Cunningham as captain. Who knows? Maybe I'm over-playing the role of Captain in modern football.

Having such a strong, stand out leader would definately make a difference imo.

Maybe dom actually being chosen as captain may have had an effect on this player infighting. There was no a clear standout captain after tredrea. Shaun would have been bitterly disappointed he didn't make captain after being tipped as next in line and i'm sure kane rated himself a fair chance as well. And then there's Dom who has shown to be the right choice. With those 3 you automatically get 3 distinct groups - the brothers, the cornses and the professionals.

Shaun being captain may have been the most peaceful choice for player harmony as he was the coaches favourite and had experience as a coin tosser :p. Dom and Kane wouldn't have much to say as they would surely acknowledge that shaun is the best player and has captained the side before.

Having such a strong, stand out leader would definately make a difference imo.

Maybe dom actually being chosen as captain may have had an effect on this player infighting. There was no a clear standout captain after tredrea. Shaun would have been bitterly disappointed he didn't make captain after being tipped as next in line and i'm sure kane rated himself a fair chance as well. And then there's Dom who has shown to be the right choice. With those 3 you automatically get 3 distinct groups - the brothers, the cornses and the professionals.

Shaun being captain may have been the most peaceful choice for player harmony as he was the coaches favourite and had experience as a coin tosser :p. Dom and Kane wouldn't have much to say as they would surely acknowledge that shaun is the best player and has captained the side before.

Not saying he should be, just throwing it out there, should Tredders be in the official leadership group next season? i know he probably doesnt want to be, but would do seem to lack leadership after Dom

I think in all fairness that you should be careful with raw statistics - they could be misleading and mask some underlying problems that Port Adelaide have within the club and digress the Club from addressing the real issues. ................

Lies, lies and damned statistics! I, for one, am glad the club hasn't gone the path (aka Freo) of spruiking on and on about our young list and how we are playing the kids.

The raw numbers of kids on the list really doesn't matter - what matters is how good they are - and more importantly how good they become.

It's hard to find any...
Um, the club didn't fold.....
We still have some supporters left....
We have a couple of really good youngsters playing for us.....

:rolleyes:

Clutching at straws here

I think in all fairness that you should be careful with raw statistics - they could be misleading and mask some underlying problems that Port Adelaide have within the club and digress the Club from addressing the real issues.

For example, addressing some of those stats given, i could point out also that:

- as at today: Crows have 29 players under 24yo and Port 27
- as at today: Crows have most players 23yo and under (29 v Port 27)
- as at today: Crows have 18 players under 21yo and Port 12
- Crows have turned over 50% of playing list since 2006 same as Port
- as per date used by Hartley above - the Crows had 24 players on senior list with less than 40 games and Port had 22 players

Certainly among the supporter group, the underlying issues currently undermining Port appear well-known and widely discussed on this Board.

Certainly the respective age profiles make for an interesting comparison. For the Positives thread, it goes to show that our age profile can fit that of a top 4 challenger. Obviously there are other issues that affect that broad observation.

It's probably also worth noting the contribution of the crows' top end of the age list (30+). 3 absolute stars of the game (McLeod, Edwards, Goodwin) - 2 x 300 game players - still contributing amazingly at their age across the ground, while Doughty and Burton cannot be overlooked.

Our group of Lade, P Burgoyne, Tredrea and Brogan is more variable - and a more fixed-position role - with a couple already in the retirement home.

There were no positives. Just a horrific year all round. So many spineless performances that my tipping was severely affected. Had your customary thumping of Essendon though:mad::p

Port Adelaide are the most unpredictable team in the league. Whether it's the players or coach nobody knows. Insipid all round at times. The debacle in Brisbane will go down in folklore. Piss weak by Port Adelaide.

All that and you could feasibly make the top 8 next year. Must be a rollercoaster supporting Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back