Epic Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, I got the idea from the same thread title on the General Board...

And after watching last night's game.. what are you favourite epic wins in tennis????

Literally going off the top of my head (and no help from google here either ;) Mine are as follows:

5. The only womens match in my list: Shanchez Vicario V Rubin in the early nineties. One of the rare times the men had to wait a real long time for their match!!! Awesome, awesome game... with it being something like 11-9 (or it could have been more) in the final set??

4. The only straights set match: Phillipousis V Sampras 1995. The Scud was a massive underdog, but amazingly beat "Mr Unbeatable" in straight sets. Too bad Woodforde beat him the next round, lol.

3. Sampras V Courier in 1994: The only time in tennis I've cried watching a match :)o). With Sampras' coach gravely ill.. and witnessing his emotional breakdown on court was almost too much to bear. "We can do this another day mate" from Courier was very touching...

2. Bagdatis v Hewitt: A 4.30am finish and I just made it to the end. Who knows what the players went thru, lol.

1. And the greatest of all epics: Roddick V El Aynanoui. 21-19 in the last. Nuff said. The quality of the tennis didnt drop off too, even tho their bodies must have packed it in ages before the end, lol. Amazing match, will never ever forget it.

(End note: Ivanisevic V Rafter, Wimbledon would have been on that list, had Rafter won :()

5. The only womens match in my list: Shanchez Vicario V Rubin in the early nineties. One of the rare times the men had to wait a real long time for their match!!! Awesome, awesome game... with it being something like 11-9 (or it could have been more) in the final set??
I think it was 15-13 in the third remember it well a great womens match

I think it was 15-13 in the third remember it well a great womens match

It was 16-14.

Epic Mens - Ivanisevic's Wimbledon triumph.
Still, EASILY, the greatest grand slam final I have ever seen, made even more remarkable by the fact that our Pat was in it. Some flawless serve-volley tennis from both sides of the net. The Monday finish - and the raw emotion of watching Goran, a wildcard, try and serve out the match and reach his destiny. It will take a long long time until this match is replaced I would think.

Epic Womens - Justine Henin d Jennifer Capriati - US Open Semi-Final
A 3 set epic in arguably the finest women's match I have ever seen played. The raw power of Capraiti, with the entire stadium behind her, against the beauty, guile and creativity of one of the best all-court players the game has seen. Fighting cramp in the last set, Henin dug deep to win. She would go on and take the title.

It was 16-14.
Epic Mens - Ivanisevic's Wimbledon triumph.
Still, EASILY, the greatest grand slam final I have ever seen, made even more remarkable by the fact that our Pat was in it. Some flawless serve-volley tennis from both sides of the net. The Monday finish - and the raw emotion of watching Goran, a wildcard, try and serve out the match and reach his destiny. It will take a long long time until this match is replaced I would think.

Yes, that was the one that was held over a day, yes?? I dont know that match that well due to the fact I was in America (working at a camp, so hardly had access to a TV or internet- actually found out the result like 48 hours after)... anyway, Mum taped it for me. But it just wasnt the same watching it when i got home. And it didnt help Rafter lost, especially since he had (multiple?) match points????

Yes, that was the one that was held over a day, yes?? I dont know that match that well due to the fact I was in America (working at a camp, so hardly had access to a TV or internet- actually found out the result like 48 hours after)... anyway, Mum taped it for me. But it just wasnt the same watching it when i got home. And it didnt help Rafter lost, especially since he had (multiple?) match points????
From memory I don't think he had any match points did he?

He was down 2 sets to 1, won the 4th to tie it up and I don't think there were any match points in that set until Goran served it out 8-6 in the 5th.

Could be wrong though.

2. Bagdatis v Hewitt: A 4.30am finish and I just made it to the end. Who knows what the players went thru, lol.
I watched this match in its entirity. I have probably never seen another sporting contest where the mental struggle was as great as it was here. As hard as it was physically, the mental rollercoaster that these two went on was phenomenal. Momentum swung back and forth violently.

1. And the greatest of all epics: Roddick V El Aynanoui. 21-19 in the last. Nuff said. The quality of the tennis didnt drop off too, even tho their bodies must have packed it in ages before the end, lol. Amazing match, will never ever forget it.
Embarrassing that JA on a number of occasions yesterday quoted the fifth set scoreline from this match as 19-17.

From memory I don't think he had any match points did he?

He was down 2 sets to 1, won the 4th to tie it up and I don't think there were any match points in that set until Goran served it out 8-6 in the 5th.

Could be wrong though.

Hmmm... i really thought he had at least one or two. Or perhaps I'm confusing it with some of his other (semi) finals at the Oz Open??? Against Agassi and he would like cramp up????

Eh i could definitely be wrong too.... if someone could confirm it.... :thumbsu:

For me its hard to go past Borg v McEnroe final at Wimbledon 1980, Wilander v Cash final at the Aussie Open 1988, and Lleyton v Fed in the 2003 Davis Cup semi.

Verdasco v Nadal SF here last year and the Safin v Federer semi in 2005 are also right up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand corrected.

Thanks for that link. :thumbsu:

"In front of the most raucous crowd a Wimbledon final has ever seen," .

Lol, is this their polite way of saying "rif raff". Man it would have been awesome to be there. I've done the tour of Wimledon (unfortunately wasnt in London the time of the actual tournament).. it's actually quite small. But you can just feel the tradition and history about the place...

For me its hard to go past Borg v McEnroe at Wimbledon, Wilander v Cash at the Aussie Open, and Lleyton v Fed in the Davis Cup.

Let us also not get the absolute snorter of a game between Verdasco and Nadal here last year.
I was going to mention this, surely one of the best comebacks ever too. Two sets and a break down if I remember correctly.

Any other great comebacks?

I also remember Capriati coming from a mile down against Hingis in the 2002 Australian Open Final to win.

That wouldnt happen to be the time Hingis cracked the shits big time and had a major sookie sookie la la episode...?
Probably not the one you are thinking of. A famous one was at Wimbledon (I think) when she served underarm.

That wouldnt happen to be the time Hingis cracked the shits big time and had a major sookie sookie la la episode...?

Probably not the one you are thinking of. A famous one was at Wimbledon (I think) when she served underarm.

tha was at the french against graf. that match at the australia open, she had a couple of match points

That was the French final against an aging Graf.

WOOT, I GOT IT RIGHT FOR ONCE!!!!

Going off topic, but for all time great moments cracking the shits, gotta go to that guy who was playing doubles and punched the wall.. and then broke his hand so they had to retire. :D

Going off topic, but for all time great moments cracking the shits, gotta go to that guy who was playing doubles and punched the wall.. and then broke his hand so they had to retire. :D
Marc Rosset. He and Hingis were up 5-4 in the deciding set of the 1996 Hopman Cup final, and they missed 4 championship points on Goran Ivanisevic's serve, so Meathead Marc decides to take his frustrations out on the backboard. They had to forfeit without even forcing Ivanisevic to hold.

Total moron, I was so pissed off. Goran and Iva Majoli were barely hanging on at the time.

I was going to mention this, surely one of the best comebacks ever too. Two sets and a break down if I remember correctly.

Any other great comebacks?

I also remember Capriati coming from a mile down against Hingis in the 2002 Australian Open Final to win.
Federer was serving for the match and up 30-0 IIRC. I downloaded the whole match about a year ago.

Was lucky enough to be at this match, will never forget it! There was something surreal about arriving home at 7am (live a couple hours out of Melbourne) from the tennis, bought back memories of my clubbing days, haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back