2012 starts now.

deccan18

Debutant
Apr 21, 2010
ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Not real sure it is me mixing senior and junior football. Yes Horsham seniors have won 9 in a row but their juniors have not so that is not an issue.

I am sure nearly all clubs struggle for numbers at senior level as well as junior level. All clubs are trying to find that last 5 players to get their numbers. The only way to get those numbers is approach players from other clubs, which really does only move the problem from one club to another.

I cannot make comment on an issue that I heard no names or confirmation that it is taking place and the actual issues surrounding it. I am sure many clubs have approached Horsham juniors to relocate, no I am more than sure as I know for a fact it has taken place.

Are you saying one rule for some and another rule for others? Lets get all the facts straight and apply those to all clubs equally. Until then I really have not much to say on an unconfirmed issue.

Who are the players involved? Who is the person who has made the approaches? What if any enticements have been made? Is Horsham the only club who has made approaches to players of other clubs? I can answewr that one, No. United have spoken to many a Horsham junior.

I don't agree with United approaching other clubs' juniors either, but lets be honest they are in a different situation to Horsham in relation to junior numbers. There's no rule on this at all buddy and i never said there was, it's just unsportsmanlike behaviour that is pretty unbelievable. My remark of mixing seniors and juniors was in regards to chasing other players which has been happening 'for centuries', just to clarify. Not premierships.

I'd love to hear you continue trying to back the activities of those chasing our juniors, so have a chat around and see for yourself that it is well and truly happening. There's plenty of 'names' around so maybe you Slenko could catch up with them and tell them to pull their heads in ;)

Long shot i know, you're all the same!:thumbsdown:

BlueBlood1995

Draftee
Oct 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi Have heard N.Clough Staying put @ saints. M.Ward been trainging with the club.
Diggers pick up a player from Tatyoon?? & J.Delahunty no going around again with the burras??

Can anyone shed anylight on these?

captain dela

Senior List
Oct 6, 2008
Murtoa
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi guys, just had a look at sports bet and seems to be a lot of country leagues getting involved, such as north central and ballarat. Is it possible we can have the wimmera, district and mallee put in the system? My betting fair would like this...

Horsham $1.50
Warrak $3.00
Dimboola $ 6.50
Minyip/Murtoa $12.00
Horsham Saints $17.00
Nhill $ 22.50
Stawell $ 30.00
Ararat $ 30.00
United $ 1001

Fair Call?

secretsaintsfan

Debutant
Dec 13, 2009
West Western Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool Football Club
Hi guys, just had a look at sports bet and seems to be a lot of country leagues getting involved, such as north central and ballarat. Is it possible we can have the wimmera, district and mallee put in the system? My betting fair would like this...

Horsham $1.50
Warrak $3.00
Dimboola $ 6.50
Minyip/Murtoa $12.00
Horsham Saints $17.00
Nhill $ 22.50
Stawell $ 30.00
Ararat $ 30.00
United $ 1001

Fair Call?

I would be all over Horsham @ $1.50... should be $1.25 and united too short at $1001.... more like $1,000,001!!

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
can anyone help me out with what ive been hearing about horsham poaching under 14 players from other wimmera league clubs. saying that they will have more chance of being successfull and treated much better. If this is true no wonder the small clubs have trouble keeping players around.

Not sure where you guys have been but this issue was debated in the local press and on this site several years ago. At the time Horsham officials admitted in the WMT that they attempt to recruit children from other clubs. They also denied ever offering them financial inducements to switch clubs. They also stated that they thought this is what every other club should be doing and intimated that they saw nothing wrong with their behaviour.

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Yarrawonga Pigeons
any practice match results???

Edenhope/Apsley beat United by over 25 goals last weekend. not good for united. any other results???

today Ararat travelled to Sebastopol and fell 10 pts short
Sebastopol D Ararat
Qt 2.3.15 5.1.31
HT 6.4.40 7.1.43
3qt 9.6.60 10.3.63
4th 14.8.92 13.4.82

the ground was in good nick . the game could have gone Either way .

Bumbles

Senior List
Jun 18, 2008
in the great outdoors..
AFL Club
Geelong
Johnny Del a fair chance to play in Melbourne. Will be a big loss for the Burras if so, gun player and ripping bloke!

Footy blitz - u say Ararat should 'make their players loyal'. If it was that easy then there wouldnt be a single club in country victoria struggling for numbers! All a club can do is try and facilitate an enjoyable environment and hope that their players will stay. You say money is no issue, if you believe that then you are deluded. That is not to say it is the only reason, or even the main one. All clubs face big offers from rival clubs drawing from the same talent pool and some clubs have more money than others. As I said earlier, when a club cannot compete financially then it must do its utmost to create an environment where players will want to play.

There is also the issue of players leaving town (not just Ararat but in general) to pursue work and university. This is a situation where having a bit of extra money DOES help, as travelling and time costs are inevitable.

Slagging off opposition clubs get nobody anywhere. An opinion doesnt have to be derogatory.

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
Johnny Del a fair chance to play in Melbourne. Will be a big loss for the Burras if so, gun player and ripping bloke!

Footy blitz - u say Ararat should 'make their players loyal'. If it was that easy then there wouldnt be a single club in country victoria struggling for numbers! All a club can do is try and facilitate an enjoyable environment and hope that their players will stay. You say money is no issue, if you believe that then you are deluded. That is not to say it is the only reason, or even the main one. All clubs face big offers from rival clubs drawing from the same talent pool and some clubs have more money than others. As I said earlier, when a club cannot compete financially then it must do its utmost to create an environment where players will want to play.

There is also the issue of players leaving town (not just Ararat but in general) to pursue work and university. This is a situation where having a bit of extra money DOES help, as travelling and time costs are inevitable.

Slagging off opposition clubs get nobody anywhere. An opinion doesnt have to be derogatory.

How are the Rat’s looking this year Bumbles?
Are the forces that have been against Scott Turner still at the club?

RICHO MAN!

Rookie
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I know some of you blokes don't like talkin umpires but I've been informed the Wimmera League Umps are at it again with their most generous 'spin' quoted in the WMT Footy Focus.

Appears as though they need assistance with their interpretation both on and off the field!

Here goes;

Croke - "The group now has ABOUT 40 umpires on their books"

Interpretation - "we had 3 at training this week but hoping to recruit 37 more very soon!"

Croke - "9 members were training with the V-Line Academy"

Interpretation - "3 are officially registed with the Academy, not sure why I said said 9, must have been misquoted again and the word 'training' and 'attending' could have been misinterpreted also.

Croke - "In a major coup, a Ballarat based field umpire has joined the group"

Interpretation - "Well the last bloke we recruited from Ballarat was a complete spud and chased out of town so this freed up a heap of the clubs and commissions money to throw at some other sucker!"

Croke - "We had a very satisfactory first year. We have had no negative feedback from clubs"

Interpretation - unprintable due to space and language constraints!

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
I know some of you blokes don't like talkin umpires but I've been informed the Wimmera League Umps are at it again with their most generous 'spin' quoted in the WMT Footy Focus.

Appears as though they need assistance with their interpretation both on and off the field!

Here goes;

Croke - "The group now has ABOUT 40 umpires on their books"

Interpretation - "we had 3 at training this week but hoping to recruit 37 more very soon!"

Croke - "9 members were training with the V-Line Academy"

Interpretation - "3 are officially registed with the Academy, not sure why I said said 9, must have been misquoted again and the word 'training' and 'attending' could have been misinterpreted also.

Croke - "In a major coup, a Ballarat based field umpire has joined the group"

Interpretation - "Well the last bloke we recruited from Ballarat was a complete spud and chased out of town so this freed up a heap of the clubs and commissions money to throw at some other sucker!"

Croke - "We had a very satisfactory first year. We have had no negative feedback from clubs"

Interpretation - unprintable due to space and language constraints!

Nah....all wrong Richo.

Hamrebel5

Draftee
Aug 7, 2011
Country Vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
hey richo man, instead of bashing the umpires how about u shut up and have ago yourself and improve them if they are that bad .. if you umpire maybe no more nuffers from ballarat will be needed

Bumbles

Senior List
Jun 18, 2008
in the great outdoors..
AFL Club
Geelong
How are the Rat’s looking this year Bumbles?
Are the forces that have been against Scott Turner still at the club?

Hard to say Fancy with no direct involvement, but I'd expect about the same as the last few years. Will have good kids, and I hear a couple of ex players have returned to help out. I expect they will have lost a couple of their younger players too, who have moved away for university, work etc and have elected to not travel home.

Wouldnt have thought there would be any sour grapes in regard to those players, if they are playing in a bigger centre and moving along with life then good luck to them!

Any other news floating around? How are stawell shaping up? I hear swifts are throwing around a bit of coin..

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
Hard to say Fancy with no direct involvement, but I'd expect about the same as the last few years. Will have good kids, and I hear a couple of ex players have returned to help out. I expect they will have lost a couple of their younger players too, who have moved away for university, work etc and have elected to not travel home.

Wouldnt have thought there would be any sour grapes in regard to those players, if they are playing in a bigger centre and moving along with life then good luck to them!

Any other news floating around? How are stawell shaping up? I hear swifts are throwing around a bit of coin..

Stawell have lost a few of their older playery and appear to have been written of by a few. It will be a great oppurtunity for some of their younger players to step up. Stawell may surprise a few this year.

RICHO MAN!

Rookie
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
hey richo man, instead of bashing the umpires how about u shut up and have ago yourself and improve them if they are that bad .. if you umpire maybe no more nuffers from ballarat will be needed

Great comment Hamrebel......couldn't agree more!

I actually do umpire (hence boring you occasionally with umpire related posts), just not in the region anymore since moving. So I actually understand the issues I am talking about pretty well and am sick of being passed on the lies that are being fed to the media and clubs in the Wimmera!

I'd love to umpire WFL but feel I owe it to local leagues to put my hand up rather then accept the money on offer to travel past other leagues who need umps. It's bad enough with players not playing locally and chasing money let alone umps.

I'm sorry but I just can't get over a League dumping a ready made group of experienced umps to start from scratch. Why didn't they work in a partnership to drag these few new guys out of the woodwork and bolster the original group?

I've been involved with a number of the old WFL umps at various levels (E.g interleague footy) and I couldn't fault them- they were just the same as any others I'd been involved with - professional and passionate.

I just hope that maybe time may heal the wounds that have been unnecessarily created and the old guards experience may be appreciated and sought after in coming seasons.........just like it appears it is being by more and more leagues who have realised how difficult it is to attract people to do the job and are jumping at opportunities to utilise the WFUA.

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
Great comment Hamrebel......couldn't agree more!

I actually do umpire (hence boring you occasionally with umpire related posts), just not in the region anymore since moving. So I actually understand the issues I am talking about pretty well and am sick of being passed on the lies that are being fed to the media and clubs in the Wimmera!

I'd love to umpire WFL but feel I owe it to local leagues to put my hand up rather then accept the money on offer to travel past other leagues who need umps. It's bad enough with players not playing locally and chasing money let alone umps.

I'm sorry but I just can't get over a League dumping a ready made group of experienced umps to start from scratch. Why didn't they work in a partnership to drag these few new guys out of the woodwork and bolster the original group?

I've been involved with a number of the old WFL umps at various levels (E.g interleague footy) and I couldn't fault them- they were just the same as any others I'd been involved with - professional and passionate.

I just hope that maybe time may heal the wounds that have been unnecessarily created and the old guards experience may be appreciated and sought after in coming seasons.........just like it appears it is being by more and more leagues who have realised how difficult it is to attract people to do the job and are jumping at opportunities to utilise the WFUA.

Not sure what anyone has to complain about now. Wimmera League clubs and their elected administrators are much happier with their new arrangements and by all accounts the district league are with theirs.

The Wimmera League and the clubs tried for years to work with the previous group but it was impossible.....it’s in the past now though.

Hoffman

Debutant
Apr 4, 2012
Mt Gambier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has anyone read the vcfl report into the wimmera region. The vcfl seem to think they will have to review the region in the coming years. How are junior numbers holding up across the wimmera and horsham district league.

Fancy

Senior List
Apr 13, 2011
Fancy Pants Lives
AFL Club
GWS
I really disagree with the way Dimboola are going about their structure of recruiting. Dimboola should just about be in the rebuilding stage were they need to generate play through there youngsters instead of paying thousands of Dollars for recruits like Macfarline to come back.Yes MacFarline does have roots at dimboola. but players that have come out of the juniors should be a priority is some of the coaching staff down in dimboola. Chris Miller. tall man. Son of Bruce miller. could be dangerous if had guidance or support. It would be hard for Gary Davidson to try and generate players from the U17's List as the junior never have success in that area. But a couple that have caught my eye watching and umpiring the juniors. such as Darcy dubious. played a couple senior games. given a go at the wrong times in finals. Luke Hutchinson. a exciting Football with Pace and potential to be a star. I think these youngster will Play ressies but coming out of school move away and davidson or next coach in future. will always need to recruit as the juniors would not travel to come back and play in a reserves side.just think Dimboola are taking the wrong approach

You still think Dimboola are on the wrong track??

Back