Remove this Banner Ad

Which ones better guys?
Version 1:
34e3mo8.png

or
Version 2:
b621k1.png

Number One.

They should be called Penrith Wolves FC or Penrith Stars FC. But since it's likely that their colours will red and black, I'm heading more towards the Wolves nickname. I think it would be silly if they're name had 'West' or 'Sydney'. They should use a name of a suburb.

Yeah they could do that and alienate the rest of western sydney.

There is no way someone from parramatta or bankstown or campbelltown would support a team called penrith. The same goes for any team named after a suburb.

This point brought to you by a Western Sydney (not penrith) resident.

You've got a good point there creagus. Maybe WEST SYDNEY STARS FC! How about that?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian FourFourTwo forum (I'd link it, but I'm using someone else's laptop, and it's Windows and thus clumsy to use...) is full of suggestions.

A few people have also entertained dropping 'Sydney' from the name. As in, Western Wolves, or Western Rovers. This might create some mild brand confusion for non-west Sydney siders. But I like the simplicity of it. Personally, it also gives the club a fresher title.

Some people have propositioned dropping the 'West' or 'Western'. I totally oppose this. This club is supposed to include the people of Sydney's west. To not represent them in the club's name seems a little negligent.

I like the name Wanderers. Although it has connotations of confusion (clubs called 'Wanderers' originally had no home ground, or, changed their base constantly). Nonetheless, it's rooted in history: The first game of soccer (?) in Australia was in Sydney's west. And a club called Wanderers took part. To maintain that class and heritage adds a different angle: All other A-League sides are reared on 'newness' and modernity (Fury, Roar...).

As they say, Australia's future is in the west ;)

I like the name wanderers. I would like A-League clubs to look at the English clubs with there naming. Rovers, Wanderers, United etc sound classy and have timelessness about them.

With simple names others nicknames evolve over time. Some English teams have three or four nicknames which they are called by.

Looks good Don. Can we see the logo in full size? Badge logos are nice.

As they say, Australia's future is in the west ;)

I like the name wanderers. I would like A-League clubs to look at the English clubs with there naming. Rovers, Wanderers, United etc sound classy and have timelessness about them.

With simple names others nicknames evolve over time. Some English teams have three or four nicknames which they are called by.

United has lost all meaning... it's just a standard suffix you whack on a place name to make it sound 'football-y', these days. Newcastle United, Adelaide United, Gold Coast United (the last one being extra-hilarious).

Rovers and Wanderers I like, but they've got to have a rational association with the club's origins or its home area. 'Canberra Wanderers' might work, because Canberra has a relatively high non-local population that comes and goes... West Sydney not so much.

United has lost all meaning... it's just a standard suffix you whack on a place name to make it sound 'football-y', these days. Newcastle United, Adelaide United, Gold Coast United (the last one being extra-hilarious).

Rovers and Wanderers I like, but they've got to have a rational association with the club's origins or its home area. 'Canberra Wanderers' might work, because Canberra has a relatively high non-local population that comes and goes... West Sydney not so much.

United should only be used in places where there is a merger or you represent a whole state not just a city.

Also, this shows how little soccer knowledge I have but aren't Adelaide called that because the Greek and Italian soccer clubs here in SA always had massive fights at their games?

This.

The clubs you've mentioned with the United title are least 'deserving'. They do not represent anything 'uniting'. United originally referred to a grouping or association of people who were usually not 'united'. How does Adelaide, a club for an entire state, do that? On top of that, they're almost never referred to with the name United. Newcastle may as well drop 'United', as most people refer to them as the Jets. Adelaide are called the Reds by most commentators. And how many people really called Gold Coast United by that name? It was basically Gold Coast.

Some areas do deserve 'United' as a name. Tasmania is the main example. It would unite an entire state. It's a state without a sports team in a nation obsessed with sport. Having an A-League club could be that force to 'unite' the state (that's not to say Tasmania is disunited...) and symbolise a the place.

But, Western Sydney could be the same. It could group and associate the many (large) centers that make up the west of the city.

As you've said, 'United' is now a soulless suffix. It makes 'FC' sound exotic.

I don't think Australian clubs should attempt to emulate European names. It looks tacky. Feigning history and culture with a 'Real' or 'Athletic' is as embarrassing as 'Fury' or 'Glory'. A generic, 'Americanised' name can be just as soulless as a 'United' or 'Rovers'. Striking a balance between acceptable 'modernity' and class is the obvious ideal.

So let's take a look at the MLS.

Vancouver Whitecaps is an awesome example. A strongly branded, yet new, franchise. 'Whitecaps' is an individual, charismatic title. But most importantly, it truly makes sense. Copying from Wikipedia: "The name alludes to the geographic features surrounding the city: white-capped mountains to the north and the Pacific Ocean's white-crested waves to the west." How much sense does that make? A lot. It has ties to the area. And hey, it sounds pretty cool as well. It isn't overtly contrived.

Oh, and I adore their crest.

Portland Timbers is another example. How many clubs would seriously entertain 'Timbers' as a name? It sounds daft without any connection to the area. But the logging industry of the area gives the name respect. And in doing so, the club sounds truly original.

I like the name Melbourne Heart. But I think Sporting Melbourne would have been really cool. No other city in this nation could ever tackle that name. They'd look pretentious. But Melbourne is so weird in its sporting fascination – what kind of city can sustain as many teams as it does? Sporting Melbourne would be a nod to this. It'd make sense. It would represent the spirit of the city, the club. That should be the target for this Sydney club.

The obvious question: What represents western Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back