Favourite Rolling Stones song?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sister Morphine, Miss You, Loving Cup, Bitch, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Ventilator Blues, **** On The Run... so hard to choose :)

Always really liked "Happy". Just love the guitar hook.

This is Keiths song.

Another underrated goodie.

[YOUTUBE]SUR9ir35Iuo[/YOUTUBE]

Sweet Virginia is possibly the greatest song in the world to play on guitar. There's nothing better than having your mates over, putting back a few beers and playing along to it.

Glad to see the Keef love in this thread. I HIGHLY recommend you check out this gem.

[youtube]vlD3KxIGxDw[/youtube]

Hard to go past Gimme Shelter, brilliant song.

My favourite Stones album though is Sticky Fingers and there are some great songs on that album that tend to slip under the radar.

Three of my favourite songs from that album

[YOUTUBE]6cr338rx89k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UnKl52bu1G0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]C39kQoprfP0[/YOUTUBE]

Sway. Mick Taylor's outro solo is the greatest guitar part I've ever heard and gives me goosebumps every time. When the strings kick in right at the end...ah, man, beautiful.

Sticky Fingers for me is the best Stones album, just in front of Exile. The final track, Moonlight Mile might just be the most criminally unknown song in the Stones' catalogue.

@Old skool: Respectable (and most of Some Girls), I think, is pretty overrated. Respectable, Lies, Shattered, nice relevant punk rock at the time, but not a part of my favourites. The real gems on Some Girls are the title track, Before the Make Me Run, and Beast of Burden (now that's a beautiful track) IMO.

Yeah Mick Taylor is an underrated guitarist. I reckon the Stones sounded their best when he was in the band, a pity he didn't stay in the band longer but I guess he couldn't put up with Mick and Keef's massive egos.

Sticky Fingers is a fantastic album, not really a bad song on it. I always thought the Stones were a bit overrated until I heard that album and realised how good they really were.

The final track, Moonlight Mile might just be the most criminally unknown song in the Stones' catalogue.
Agreed

@Old skool: Respectable (and most of Some Girls), I think, is pretty overrated. Respectable, Lies, Shattered, nice relevant punk rock at the time, but not a part of my favourites. The real gems on Some Girls are the title track, Before the Make Me Run, and Beast of Burden (now that's a beautiful track) IMO.
I quite like Some Girls but agree that it's over rated.

The title track is alright as is Faraway Eyes. They sort of taking the piss but it's not a bad song.

Gimme Shelter hands down. Typifies their blue-influenced rock and has all the ingredients of a great rock song. Simple but great chord progression, hooks, emotion.

The bit at the 3 minute mark when Merry Clayton's voice breaks and you hear someone in the background (Mick presumably) yells out gets my every time.

The Stones are the only band (along with the Velvet Undergrond) to hold a torch to The Stooges during '68-'73.

Would have given anything to have seen them on their 1973 Australian tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's Spend The Night Together

close:

Under My Thumb
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
2000 Light Years From Home
Complicated

She's So So Cooold :)

Speaking of Jagger's vocals It would be interesting to hear what you think is Mick Jagger's finest vocal?
Good question. My shortlist:

No Expectations
Moonlight Mile
Shine a Light
Beast of Burden
Wild Horses (Stripped version)
Out of Control
....and of course the coked-up blaze of the '81 tour version of Satisfaction that gets shown on MAX all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back