Player Movement 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

i'd be suprised if laughlin didn't get picked up for the short forms. don't recall ever seeing him bowl in the longer form games. never quite worked out how a guy can be so succesful in one day cricket and completely domianted in first class cricket.

See in today's Courier-Mail that Usman Khawaja and Nathan Hauritz have been linked to a shift north.

It seems as if Khawaja is keen to give himself a fresh start - wouldn't hurt that he has scored a few tons at the Gabba for the Blues and seen how Peter Forrest has gone too.:thumbsu:

Hauritz sounds like he is keen to go the T20 route with the Brisbane Heat although would surely get some one day games for Queensland, if not some Shield matches.

It's all moot though as the player recruiting ban remains firmly in place while CA & the ACA thrash out their latest money-sharing MOU. Which much be due to be concluded any day now . . .:rolleyes:

And I had a beer recently with a mate who is tied up with one of the Brisbane clubs who tells me that apparently Luke Pomersbach has settled in pretty well and suggestion is that he is hoping to land either a Bulls or a Heat contract or ideally both. Interesting to see how Lehmann goes with him if that is the case.

Same beer (well actually to be honest about two later:p),and he also told me that Beenleigh/Logan is going to amalgamate with Ipswich to give Ipswich a leg-up into the Brisbane Grade competition and strengthen the Cutters this coming season.

The suggestion is that they will eventualy play games out of Springfield,in that Brisbane-Ipswich-Logan corridor. Also reckons that Caboolture (currently playing in the Sunshine Coast comp) have got their eyes on a similar arrangement with a northside club but there's a bit more resistance.

But QC have said they won't expand beyond the 12 clubs they currrently have so mergers/amalgamations are the only way forward at this stage.

Yeah nothing really surprising there. I thought Hauritz might stay around NSW but it doesn't really matter that much. It's pretty obvious that all the states, for better or worse, will stick with their young promising spinner. (no brainer that Hauritz is better than SOK but w/ever). Hauritz has his own cleaning buisness which presumably isn't a total failure so the T20 route is probably good enough for him. And I think everyone who follows NSW cricket remotely expected at least one of those youngish batsmen (Hughes, Smith, Usman) to go.

A bit late in on the discussion, but I would be shocked if Hughes and Smith left NSW

If either came to Victoria, bloody hell, although I dont think Hughes would enjoy 1st session on the G too often

Anyway any update on whether states are allowed to start poaching yet, did they end up solving all that?

I would be incredibly disappointed if NSW let Smith go, given he, you know, actually performed to at least an average level last season. The hughes to victoria rumour was so absurd I wasn't sure to post it, given Victoria don't need an opener, but I thought i should, if only for the lols. Hughes to QLD also did the rounds (actually heard that one before Usman to QLD) and makes far more sense to me

The new contract stuff hasn't been sorted out yet. Into the final stages. This Chloe Saltau article written the other week provides an update of sorts: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/players-bid-for-world-cup-cash-20120418-1x7lu.html

Main thing relating to all this is "A compromise has already been reached on the number of national contracts allocated each year, which will be cut from 25 to between 17 and 20, with each state allowed two additional contracts." which is pretty much what all of us wanted

Queensland 2011-12 Squad:

Cameron Boyce (stay)
Ryan Broad (gone)
Joe Burns (stay)
Ben Cutting(stay)
Ben Dunk (stay, if he wants)
Luke Feldman (stay, if he wants)
Jason Floros (iffy to gone)
Peter Forrest (could move onto CA contract
Ryan Harris (should stay on ca contract)
Chris Hartley (stay)
James Hopes (stay)
Chris Lynn (stay)
Alister McDermott (stay)
Michael Neser (stay)
Nathan Reardon (OD player only nowadays, could be squeezed out)
Andrew Robinson (gone/can you contract his hands only?)

Chris Swan (stay, if he wants)
Scott Walter (stay, if he wants)

Then you got the rookies: Corey Barsby, Nick Buchanan, Cameron Gannon, Alex Kemp, James Peirson, Nick Stevens.

Plus Steve Magoffin & Matthew Gale who weren't contracted last season.

So you'd think Feldman, Walter and Swan could all be looking elsewhere (or retiring, in Swan's case), so if they all leave Magoffin & Gale take two of those contracts (Gale lives for family reasons iirc so he won't move), Broad for Usman is a nobrainer and Hughes could take one of the other spots left open, although I doubt they'll land both Hughes and Usman anyway. Christian seems to be staying in SA too. Pretty much it seems like they're being linked with everyone, but will probably only bring in one notable import, maybe give a fringe batsman from another state a go.

Pretty good assessment - I think that a few of them have one more year to go on existing deals (Floros, Feldman) and I heard that Swan was looking at retiring and just playing local cricket on the Gold Coast next season.

You'd reckon Magoffin will get a deal, guys like Gale and Paulsen probably not, Robinson & Reardon could need to rely on any additional spots on the list.. Agree about Robbinson's hands too :thumbsu: - can catch!

Someone like Scott Walter might be in a bit of bother, just because he hasn't played a lot of cricket over the past two seasons.

Dunno about Kemp - he'll be too old for a rookie contract, so they might leave him to earn a contract from outside the squad.

But if they get Khawaja & Hauritz on State deals, it would put a bit of pressure on the list though. Same with Pomersbach, although I wonder if they will roll the dice with him. That might be a Lehmann call.

Outside the squad, the likes of Dom Michael & Nick Fitzpatrick have had some good grade & 2nd XI performances, but with age against them, they will probably be missing.

They've got a fair few Aussie squad kids to consider too for rookies - although most of them are still eligible for U19s & will probably end up being challenged to put some performances on the board at first grade level for a season or so (and with Trevor Hohns in charge now, you would back that to happen).:thumbsu:

Interesting to see just how much movement we get around the States - with another BBL recruiting window to come, it might make for another very busy off-season.:)

yeah i'd agree with that. regarldess he won't be lost to the cricketing world anytime soon. whether he makes it or not is another thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Blues are looking at losing S.Smith (SA), Kwahaja (QLD) and possibly Hughes (Vic). Looks like they'll be the ones to potentially lose out from the cascade effect around contract reductions.

So the Blues are looking at losing S.Smith (SA), Kwahaja (QLD) and possibly Hughes (Vic). Looks like they'll be the ones to potentially lose out from the cascade effect around contract reductions.
They hasn't really got anything to contract reductions. They would all be losing contracts even if they had 30 contracts handed out.

Well maybe not Smith if that happened.

Order of priority for NSW should be 1) Smith 2) Nevill 3) Hughes 4) Usman

Anyway, http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ener-phil-hughes/story-e6frectl-1226352435695

Phil Hughes is a player of interest and has an outstanding record on Adelaide Oval but I have to weigh that up with kids like Travis Head and Kelvin Smith coming through," said Berry who must fit new skipper Johan Botha, Dan Christian, Callum Ferguson, Peter George and Klinger within salary constraints.
Callum Ferguson the odd name out there for me....

Not really. He was the fourth leading run scorer in Ryobi Cup cricket last year, with an average of 52. He might not be a walk up start for the Shield team at the moment, but he'd deserve a contract solely for his ODD game.

Good to see Berry willing to go with the kids, as opposed to selling the farm for interstate players.

Well yeah that's the problem, do you spend somewhere near the max wage for a player who isn't certain of a shield spot? opportunity cost and all that

of course i'd be pretty shocked if that sorta stuff was actually a problem. NSW struggling with the cap, yeah understandable, SA? Not really.

They hasn't really got anything to contract reductions. They would all be losing contracts even if they had 30 contracts handed out.

Well maybe not Smith if that happened.

Order of priority for NSW should be 1) Smith 2) Nevill 3) Hughes 4) Usman

Anyway, http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ener-phil-hughes/story-e6frectl-1226352435695

It has everything to do with contract reductions.Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja would be offered a contract by NSW everyday of the week, but the squeeze is on and I agree that two, possibly three would go.

I struggle to understand anyone from SA not wanting to jump all over Hughes. SA have been a rabble at Sheild level for so long, here's a quality batsman, still young, with a liking for the Adelaide oval. Absolutely I'd sell the farm.

There's a salary cap for state teams. Bollinger, Haddin (probs), Hauritz, Hughes, Usman, Lee (maybe) and Smith will all be losing their CA contracts. Those people will be asking for close to top dollar from NSW (it might even be an auto-thing). We have to pick and choose. CA contract reductions aren't really related to it, most of those names would be losing their contracts even if the contract list was 30, so NSW would still have to pick and choose

For me retaining Steve Smith and Peter Nevill is the big thing, and making them the new captain and vice captain, and if that means losing Hughes and Usman so be it. Signing Sam Robson to an overseas contract is a no-brainer. I'd try to keep Katich but that's a losing battle it seems.

Hasn't he already stated his intention to play for England? Pass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back