Expansion 3rd Sydney AFL side prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

As a GWS supporter, I'm all in favour of AFL expansion. But this thread is probably a generation ahead of its time.

There will be a third Sydney team one day. But not for a very long time.

I very much doubt we'll see a 3rd NSWs team in our lifetime, still a long way to go to establish the other 2, Swans have decent crowd figures but they don't rate on the box in Sydney yet, culture doesn't change overnight, 'if' the Swans-WS can rate 40% what the NRL clubs rate within 30 years the AFL will be happy.

I very much doubt we'll see a 3rd NSWs team in our lifetime, still a long way to go to establish the other 2, Swans have decent crowd figures but they don't rate on the box in Sydney yet, culture doesn't change overnight, 'if' the Swans-WS can rate 40% what the NRL clubs rate within 30 years the AFL will be happy.
Speak for yourself!
Central Coast Cougars 2025!

Whilst it annoys the bejesus out of me, the AFL seems to take a lead from U.S. sports a hell of a lot where they tend to have one team per city (ie. per sport) which makes them more viable options in the long term. It is for that reason that I believe there will be some minor rationalisation in the future with a small reduction in the number of Melbourne clubs and new teams or 'planted' ones springing up in other areas to keep the overall number of clubs in the competition reasonably consistent.

but there's the obvious diffential in population spread of america to us

whilst they don't have cities that much bigger that ours

according to these pages:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html
http://blog.id.com.au/2012/australian-census-2011/top-33-largest-cities-in-australia-by-population/

cities over 2mil is only 4-3 to america, and over 1mil is 9-5 to them... not huge differences.

but obviously from the 400k+ mark. we've only got 8 but their top 50 list is almost entirely 400k+

30 odd years ago, no one could imagine 1 team in Sydney let alone 2. Progress comes over time.. and I'd predict in 15-20 years we'll be looking at team no.3.

If GC wasnt so close to Brisbane you could also be talking about a second Brisbane team within that same or less time frame.... which I think would be a hysterical if the AFL had 2 teams in Brisbane before Rugby!

The lack of a second team in Brisbane illustrates the weakness and/or timidity and/or lack of vision of the NRL compared to our administrators ... that the AFL can have 2 teams in every state, and you could even speculate about a 2nd or 3rd side in Sydney before they even have 2 in Brisbane is quite extraordinary.., . and when football historians mull over this period in 40 years time they'll probably point to this as a key factor in shaping of the furture of both sports in the national/professional sphere.

Ok what about if there's no demand for a third team? There sure is no demand for a second sydney team let alone the swans. You could build interest but like everything else in Sydney it will be short term.

One thing with sydneysiders, if you push something or force something on them chances are it will fail miserably.

But hey keep living a delusion thinking that in 10 years Sydney will be so enamoured with the code that demand for a 3rd and fourth team will be higher than ever.

Ten years will see GWS have a good membership base and hopefully making ends meet.

The way i see it, is the Swans have the northern suburbs, the eastern suburbs and the Central Coast as well as Newcastle, GWS has the western suburbs, the ACT and Riverina, and a new team , if there is to be one, will be the southern suburbs of Sydney and the gong, and also the south coast of NSW where there is a decent following of football.

So for me, 3 teams, but unless things change quickly, it will be about 10 years.

Don't forget that the Swans have over 700 kids in their academy, probably 60,70 kids each year leave without getting drafted, whether they stay in and around Sydney is debateable, but the standard of the local comp is continually improving and growing.

GWS has a academy, and i would imagine has around the same number of kids.

Thats irking me the most, sitting here and reading comments from victorians who think they know the sydney market and think they can be acurate judges of what sydneysiders want and don't want.

It's just irks me so much as most of their assumptions is just wrong.

Sydney does not want a 2nd AFL team let alone a 3rd AFL team. They don't want AFL shoved in their faces. They find it weird the amount of fanantical support for sport.

Thats Sydney. They dont care about sport.

Since i moved back to sydney a few months ago i have been observing and asking people about AFL.

Most say the same thing..they have a passing interest in the swans but when it comes to following the code they simple don't care. It's not that they don't like the game..they just don't care enough about it to become fanatics like all victorians.

There is nothing wrong with that, but it seems to irk a lot of victorians.

The Giants are new. We still have to earn our place in the Sydney sporting scene. That takes time and resources - it's not just playing games, but being seen in the community and becoming truly a part of it.
The Swans have done it. The Giants will, but we're not there yet. Nowhere near it. We're working on it, but it's a work in progress.
Most sports fans in Sydney know the Giants exist. They know Kevin Sheedy coaches the Giants, and Israel Folau plays for them. That's a start, but by no means the finish. There's a lot more to be done for Sydney's sporting fans to truly accept us as a part of them.
It's way too premature to speculate on a third team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Giants are new. We still have to earn our place in the Sydney sporting scene. That takes time and resources - it's not just playing games, but being seen in the community and becoming truly a part of it.
The Swans have done it. The Giants will, but we're not there yet. Nowhere near it. We're working on it, but it's a work in progress.
Most sports fans in Sydney know the Giants exist. They know Kevin Sheedy coaches the Giants, and Israel Folau plays for them. That's a start, but by no means the finish. There's a lot more to be done for Sydney's sporting fans to truly accept us as a part of them.
It's way too premature to speculate on a third team.

The Swans havn't done anything really, seen their TV ratings in Sydney?, they're almost as bad as the Storms in Melbourne, AFL isn't a mainstream sport in Sydney and i doubt it ever will be, give it 50 years maybe, that's the time frame we're talking about here, as an above poster said, Sydney people don't have the sporting culture Victorians have.

The Swans havn't done anything really, seen their TV ratings in Sydney?, they're almost as bad as the Storms in Melbourne, AFL isn't a mainstream sport in Sydney and i doubt it ever will be, give it 50 years maybe, that's the time frame we're talking about here, as an above poster said, Sydney people don't have the sporting culture Victorians have.

Nah your 100% correct, the Swans have done nothing to advance the AFL in Sydney...... not a thing :rolleyes:

swan03_gallery__470x325.jpg

swansflagflying.gif

AFL%20-%2030-09-05%20-%20Swans%20Parade2%20-%20020-web.jpg

Come on. Sydney loves sport. There is just far more diversity in sport up here and we do not get obsessed about attending live sport. The Swans have done extremely well in creating a niche for themselves. Given their limited fan base their ground attendances are the envy of Rugby League clubs. Some Swans players are even well known amongst sports fans such as Goods and Garry Jacks son.

30 odd years ago, no one could imagine 1 team in Sydney let alone 2. Progress comes over time.. and I'd predict in 15-20 years we'll be looking at team no.3.

That's my opinion.
A third Sydney AFL side still adds value and is a natural extension of current developments.

Well your opinion is wrong nor wanted.

I don't think so.
Though the VFL took some time to install a side in Sydney it was still a surprise when it eventuated.
The AFL telegraphed the re-establishment of a side playing out of the GC but the creation of a second AFL side in Sydney took most by complete surprise.
In hindsight the investment in NSW by the AFL should've been an indicator.
The ongoing investment in football in Sydney needed to ensure the success of the Giants ia going to benefit the Swans but other areas currently out of the picture like the Southern districts.

Ok what about if there's no demand for a third team?
There was no demand for a 1st or 2nd team. The code has to be strategically grown.

There sure is no demand for a second sydney team let alone the swans. You could build interest but like everything else in Sydney it will be short term.
There may be some fickleness to Swans fans but most teams are like that. They still have some way to go but I'm not sure why you consider them short term?

One thing with sydneysiders, if you push something or force something on them chances are it will fail miserably.
False stereotype.

But hey keep living a delusion thinking that in 10 years Sydney will be so enamoured with the code that demand for a 3rd and fourth team will be higher than ever.
Where did anyone say that?

Have you any idea how much AFL has grown in Sydney in 30 years? It's still the tip of the iceberg and that growth will roll along at an increasing rate.

No one thinks AFL will overtake league, but a lot of astute people think that the game needs to be grown on a number of fronts: grassroots investment, marketing, local presence. And history has told us local presence is essential. As the game grows through grassroots investment, marketing, and organic growth, you add more teams to compliment.

The AFL doesn't need to overtake league or be the dominant force in Sydney. All it needs is 4 teams with 30,000 members each and the majority of Sydneysiders to have an AFL team as well as a league team. I expect that to happen in my lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back