Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
With 3 full seasons under their belts we can now start to see who made some big mistakes but more importantly who got the picks right and who got really lucky.

Here is how the top 20 from 2009 AFL Draft was played out.
1 Tom Scully
2 Jack Trengove
3 Dustin Martin
4 Anthony Morabito
5 Ben Cunnington
6 Gary Rohan
7 Brad Sheppard
8 John Butcher
9 Andrew Moore
10 Jake Meltsham
11 Jordan Gysberts
12 Kane Lucas
13 Daniel Talia
14 Lewis Jetta
15 Christian Howard
16 Jasper Pittard
17 Daniel Menzel
18 Luke Tapscott
19 Benjamin Griffiths
20 Nathan Fyfe

Here are a few that went after.

21 Ryan Bastinac
24 Jake Carlisle
26 Travis Colyer
27 Callum Bartlett
28 Mitch Duncan
38 Sam Reid
40 Allen Christensen
42 Nathan Vardy
45 Sam Shaw

And the Rookie Draft

2 Michael Coad
3 Sam Iles
8 Michael Barlow
9 Majak Daw
24 Alex Silvagni
40 Ashton Hams
43 Stewart Crameri
46 Matthew Jaensch
50 James Podsiadly
76 Claye Beams

A few major talking points I would like to here is, how do Dee's supporters rate Scully, would they have taken him at 1 now (not knowing he was leaving) and how your top 20 would be.

P.S. I hope this thread lasts a bit longer than the last one.

It's hard to see a standout top talent just yet, Scully is really just a vanilla outsife mid who lacks size and depth in his kicking, Trengove has struggled and Martin's off field issues are concerning. It's a shame that Morabito and Rohan have had their injuries.

Actually, I completely forgot Fyfe, there it is, and wins by the length of the Flemington straight.

Fyfe, Martin, Jetta, Barlow, Reid the standouts

Rohan, Morabito, Menzel unlucky with injury, all showed signs, Menzel's probably shown more than the other two...think he's played a few more though

Scully & Trengove are yet to prove to be worth their respective picks...have time on their side though

Bastinac, Duncan & Christensen very good for where they were picked up thus far

Podsiadly & Crameri, good late mature age picks

Probably too early to call on the KPP's ie. Butcher & co, plenty of time to turn into elite

In all too early to tell. End of next season will give a better idea

AA120112LC-239-600x400.jpg

The one and only, will go down as the best pick twenty in the history of the game.

I'll leave aside the mature draftees.

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Cunnington
4. Scully
5. Jetta
6. Duncan
7. Reid
8. Christensen
9. Bastinac
10. Trengove

Cunnington gave Scully a touch up last night.

Cunnington: 33 disposals, 19 contested, 8 clearances, 3 tackles, 78% TG
Scully: 25 disposals, 9 contested, 2 clearances, 1 tackle, 89% TG

So far it would be (ND draft only and excluding Luke Ball):

1. Martin
2. Fyfe
3. Bastinac
4. Scully (even if you knew he was leaving, he still nets you two top 5 picks.
5. Reid
6. Trengove
7. Jetta
8. Menzel
9. Cunnington
10. Gunston/Duncan/Talia

This will change over time and I doubt 8-10 will remain in the top 10. Way to many injuries to top picks like Cunnington, Morabito and Butcher and too early to judge the big fellas.

Apologies. My post reflects how i think they will end up in a few years when they have all matured.

I logically don't see the point in rating players less than 3 years in to their careers.

The inside ball users and KPP's are always going to be at a massive disadvantage at this early stage.

So far it would be (ND draft only and excluding Luke Ball):

1. Martin
2. Fyfe
3. Bastinac
4. Scully (even if you knew he was leaving, he still nets you two top 5 picks.
5. Reid
6. Trengove
7. Jetta
8. Menzel
9. Cunnington
10. Gunston/Duncan/Talia

This will change over time and I doubt 8-10 will remain in the top 10. Way to many injuries to top picks like Cunnington, Morabito and Butcher and too early to judge the big fellas.

Can you explain your reasoning for that decision? I would like to know why you tink he is the better player.

I don't follow either and I would still pick up Martin, Fyfe is good but Martin just has that bit extra, but it is very close.

Personally I would rate them from the ND on performance mostly:

1. Martin
2. Fyfe
3. Talia
4. Jetta
5. Trengove
6. Reid
7. Bastinac
8. Duncan
9. Scully
10. Cunnington
11. Gunstan
12. Christensen
13. Carlisle
14. Shaw
15. Harwood

Its a pretty reasonable draft and there are a lot of decent players and some very good top end talent, although many of the top players have been wrecked by injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fyfe
2/3. Martin/Scully
4. Jetta
5. Talia
6. Carlisle
7. Reid
8. Barlow
9. Trengove
10. Bastinac
11. Crameri
12. Gunston
13. Cunnington
14. Christensen
15. Menzel

Fyfe - special player and a clear #1. can do it all.
Martin - strong, explosive and kicks a ridiculous amount of goals for a mid/fwd.
Jetta* - a different kind of goal kicking mid but equally dangerous. i worry about how he'll deal with hard tags.
Scully - needs to really bulk up and tidy up the kicking but i love the combination of pace and endurance for an inside mid.
Reid - speculative pick based on his ridiculously good contested marking. not many carry a forward line at such a young age.
Cunnington - natural inside mid. has played at an elite level the past 6 weeks. needs to get fitter.
Talia - has had a great year but i don't have much time for full backs, particularly those without offensive weapons.
Duncan - good speed, agression, overhead marking and finishing skills.
Crameri* - bit of a freak. should be impacting games more with his attributes.
Trengove - well rounded player but a bit meh. doesn't have any elite attributes.

Others: Christensen, Barlow*, Bastinac, Howlett*, Menzel, Golby, Carlisle, Gunston, Grimes, Stratton*, Morabito.

Fyfe, Martin and Jetta clear top 3 for me. Still a bit early on a lot of players and quite a few high picks have been out for long periods with injuries.

We ****ed this draft up pretty hard :( Could have had all of those 3, although everyone else passed on Fyfe too.

If Thomas didn't break Rohans (was about to explode this year) leg we would've owned this draft.

Fyfe the clear number 1.

Even since he was a junior, Rohan has shown no signs of being able to find enough of the footy. Averaged 13 disposals in the TAC Cup, 14 disposals in the Champs and has a career high in the AFL of 16 disposals (vs GWS).

Even since he was a junior, Rohan has shown no signs of being able to find enough of the footy. Averaged 13 disposals in the TAC Cup, 14 disposals in the Champs and has a career high in the AFL of 16 disposals (vs GWS).

He's a forward.

Didn't debut in 2010 until halfway through the season, was out most of last year with injury and after an awesome preseason this year he had his leg broke in round 4 by a sliding Thomas.

I'm still glad you passed on Rohan for Cunnington.

They get similar amounts of the footy but Martin is the better and longer kick and a more prolific goalkicker.

If you want to run comparisons...

Apart from the games Fyfe was injured he averages 27 per game this year. Martin 22.

Martin still plays predominantly outside with about 30% contested possessions.

Fyfe gets almost 60% of his possessions as contested possessions.

Fyfe is more consistent.
Fyfe is a much better contested mark. He is also a much better on and off field leader. Stands up when counted. Makes more tackles than Martin. Much more team oriented.

Martin simply pops pills and gets suspended when his team needs him most resulting in Richmond losing games it should of won and costing it a finals berth.

He's a forward.

Didn't debut in 2010 until halfway through the season, was out most of last year with injury and after an awesome preseason this year he had his leg broke in round 4 by a sliding Thomas.

I'm still glad you passed on Rohan for Cunnington.

He's an offensive player. He needs to be offering more than 10 touches and a goal.

Anyway lets move on. It feels weird bagging a guy with a broken leg.

If you want to run comparisons...

Apart from the games Fyfe was injured he averages 27 per game this year. Martin 22.

Martin still plays predominantly outside with about 30% contested possessions.

Fyfe gets almost 60% of his possessions as contested possessions.

Fyfe is more consistent.
Fyfe is a much better contested mark. He is also a much better on and off field leader. Stands up when counted. Makes more tackles than Martin. Much more team oriented.

Martin simply pops pills and gets suspended when his team needs him most resulting in Richmond losing games it should of won and costing it a finals berth.

fyfe averages 24 disposals...also you make it sound like Martin is a drug addict if you think that then you are an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back